Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX30 AX2700 - DHCP not working properly after power outage

ewc
Tutor
Tutor

Having the exact same problem. This has actually happened twice to me so far. The last time being last night after a power outage. I have reached out to tech support from both sides (netgear and ISP (Comcast)). Have you heard anything more on a resolution from netgear?
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

Who is your ISP? 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.
Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://kb.netgear.com/24311/Power-level-guidelines-for-a-NETGEAR-cable-modem-router?article=24311
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Message 2 of 7
ewc
Tutor
Tutor

Not sure why but my reply was deleted. I’m having the same issues as you. My modem/router failed to come back online after a power outage. Was wondering if you’ve made any headway on this or any other solution to fix this issue. Thanks.
Message 3 of 7
ewc
Tutor
Tutor

As stated in my reply post ISP is Comcast. Firmware is V1.4.10.8. I’ve contacted ISP and they've checked the signal as good. I’ve asked them also to provision the modem correctly. The feedback I get from them is that they don’t have the router/modem schematic so they can’t provide support. There is a small cable piece between the coax coming in and the modem/router that they call a splitter but that’s the first time I’ve heard that these are not allowed. Comcast says it’s a necessary device for them.
As far as setting the channels, I haven’t customized any of the settings on the device. It connected fine when it was first installed by the Comcast tech. Worked great. This is the first time that I’ve dealt with a modem/router that failed to come back online and connect all it’s subordinate devices. Don’t know at this point if it’s the device (hardware/software) that’s not truly compatible with it or if Comcast is making it more difficult for outside devices to work with they’re internet. Unfortunately, I think I may have to succumb and get Comcast’s fully supported hardware to avoid dealing with this mess every time this nighthawk needs to be rebooted.
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Please post a copy and paste of the modems connection status page.

Also try a factory reset and setup from scratch. 
Go in and save off a backup configuration to file for safe keeping:

After the back up is saved, unplug the power adapter from the wall out let for 30 seconds then back in. Let us know what your experiences are after the modem comes back to ready. 

Message 5 of 7
gbgadgets
Guide

There is a problem with the wifi and DHCP assignments with this device.  If you are unable to statically assign ip addresses, then you will run into a problem at some point getting an ip address for a device and may need to completely redo your network with a new SSID as a 'work around'.  I am returning mine to Costco where I bought it and not going to buy another netgear product.  I'll find a better modem/router from another vendor and it can't be any worse of an experience than this.    

Message 6 of 7
Brettmcm
Apprentice

Same problem all the time. I wish I could take it back, I've been fighting with it since the day I opened it. I have spent countless hours upon hours. Bought additional equipment, eliminated every single possible problem that isn't the modem.

The modem simply refuses to give out Ipv4 addresses, it will give out Ipv6 addresses. If you put the router into the auto config? whatever the non-default option you will 100% have this problem. 

I have change the channels multiple times, which worked perfectly at first, then that stopped working as well. Then I've had it limping along for about a month, trying to recover from assigning IP addresses to wifi devices. This will 100% also cause a complete and total failure from the modem and then nothing will connect. 

Today I went to try some new channels as it has barely been working and I am afraid to restart it because it will cause all these problems all over again and today I ran into a brand new problem. Now, no matter what I do it will not give out a 5ghz signal, will not allow me to turn on the smart connection option, will not enable AX Wifi 6 options, you can change it to whatever you want from that busted ass genie you have to use since the app is even worse. and it will say updating, and when it gets to the end it freezes, when you finally are able to log back into the router (hardwired from a computer) none of the changes you made will be present, all the options will be shut off, and it will be stuck on 54gbs with no SSID being broadcast. Unplugging and resetting does nothing except allow you to log in before being froze out. The app does the exact same thing. Can't wait to start from scratch and then manually add all 70 devices again, go through the Alexa app and change every routine again. It's a **bleep** nightmare that I have had to live through seemingly every other month or more. 

Who knows how long it's going to take to figure out what's wrong this time. This product is clearly some garbage they made for Costco and I would take it back in a heart beat if I could. It's absolutely the worst piece of hardware I've ever used. The experience has been sooooo horrible. I'll never buy another Netgear product again. I would highly recommend everyone stay as far as away from this cable modem as possible, don't touch the box, it's so bad doing so could possible destroy your network by proxy. 

Take it back as soon as possible, go buy something else, anything else, you won't be sorry. I would love to see 1 single person who hasn't had a bad experience with the Costco CAX30, just 1, it's the same song and dance with everyone who buys it. Absolute garbage.

Ever notice when you post about it, it isn't even a listed product you can chose for the description. Coincidence? I think not.  

Model: RAX80|Nighthawk AX8 8-Stream WiFi Router
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7