Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 Multi-gig ethernet port dropping

billg118
Guide

Im having the exact same issue as you. @Dumaine 

Updating my firmware to that version seemed to make it more stable, but my issue persists.

Im using a cat 8 cable and am also on xfinity.

Message 51 of 85
Dumaine
Tutor

I am sorry, I thought I came back here to post again. I ran fine for about a day (after the newest firmware upgrade) then the issues started again, so I am back to my old setup. Turned off wifi and using one of my routers as an AP and been up ever since.......

Message 52 of 85
billg118
Guide

That's really disappointing to hear.

It didn't used to be this way. Up until a few months ago the multi-gig port was working just fine so I really don't understand what changed.

My device is way out of warranty now so I'm not sure what I can do aside from doing what you did. Sucks I really didn't want to have to throw more money at this.

Message 53 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Been using mine in router mode since I updated. Mines connected to a XS505M using CAT6A STP cabling. Have seen no issues with this port on this new version of FW.

Message 54 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

What ethernet adapters are you using on the multi-gig port? 

What CAT# lan cables are you using? 

@billg118 @Dumaine 

Message 55 of 85
Dumaine
Tutor

CAT6A STP

Asus XG-C100C or  OKN 2.5 G Base-T

Message 56 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

For the ASUS one, Is that a Intel or RealTek chip set?

Have you tried setting the adapter to force 2.5Gb connection rate only and not set it to Auto detect? 

I see for the OKN that's a Realtek chipset. I'll check the one 2.5Gb adapter I have, I wanna say it's a Intel but can't remember. 🙄

Both of these direct connect to the MultiGig port in back? 

Have you tried with a LAN switch in between? 

@Dumaine wrote:

CAT6A STP

Asus XG-C100C or  OKN 2.5 G Base-T

Message 57 of 85
billg118
Guide

I did a lot more troubleshooting and this isn't specifically related to the multi-gig port for me.

My issue turned out to be something wrong with my gaming PC. I updated Ethernet drivers and turned off some power saving features and the disconnects seem to have stopped.

Message 58 of 85
Dumaine
Tutor

The Asus uses the ACQ107 and is forced to 2.5. Yes it directly connects to my PC and I have not tried a switch yet.  Only has issues when the wireless is enabled.  Turned off wireless and have been running 7 days 21 hours with out a drop...Capture.JPG

Message 59 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the brand and mfr of your ethernet adapter? 

And since then the port has been working WITH the CAX80 wifi enabled? 

What CAT# cable are you using? 

@billg118 wrote:

I did a lot more troubleshooting and this isn't specifically related to the multi-gig port for me.

My issue turned out to be something wrong with my gaming PC. I updated Ethernet drivers and turned off some power saving features and the disconnects seem to have stopped.

Message 60 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

I see. Ok, that's kind of new to me. 

I had my wifi running however mine was connected to my 10Gb switch and not my 2.5Gb adapter PC. Saw no issues while I had this online for several days with the CAX80 wifi enabled. I moved to turn it off as I found that the uplink speed on 5ghz is capped for unknown reasons so I put my 9 series online in AP mode in meantime. I'll put my 10Gb switch on a 1Gb LAN port and get my 2.5Gb PC on with the MG port and re-enable the wifi radios. 

@Dumaine wrote:

The Asus uses the ACQ107 and is forced to 2.5. Yes it directly connects to my PC and I have not tried a switch yet.  Only has issues when the wireless is enabled.  Turned off wireless and have been running 7 days 21 hours with out a drop...Capture.JPG

Message 61 of 85
billg118
Guide

It has been working fine since yesterday and yes my wifi is enabled.

Ethernet adapter is whatever NIC is built into the MSI X570s Tomahawk Max Wifi motherboard.

I'm using a Cat 8 cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0894CF8GR/

Message 62 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

OK, Mines a Realtek PCIe 2.5Gb ethernet adapter. 

Driver v10.60.615.2022 dated 6/16/2022. 

EEE, Advance EEE, Jumbo Frame and Green Ethernet features are disabled under the Advanced tab. Speed and Duplex is set to Auto Neg. 

I've connected this pc mostly directly to the CAX80 multi gig port, there is a patch panel and a wall jack in the middle. Patch panel run is from wall jack near my PC and from panel now to the multi gig port on the CAX80. 

OK, enabled CAX80 wifi and turned OFF my Orbi 9 series system. Will monitor this.

@Dumaine 

Message 63 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Reporting that 24 hours later, my 2.5Gb connected PC is still connected and has internet access over the MultiGig port on the CAX80 with WiFi enabled on the CAX80. 

Message 64 of 85
My_Username
Guide

My CAX80 would not run 2.5Gb dependably when connected to an Asus XG-C100C. It would always run when first connected but would start dropping after varying lengths of time. CAX80 firmware did not seem to have any effect up through the current 2.1.5.2. Network cables Cat6a and Cat8 may have shown a little difference - or I may have wanted to see a difference. It wasn't a cure in any event.

The PC I was running the XG-C100C in failed for unrelated reasons and I rebuilt my network around a laptop and NAX box. The NAS is an Asustor AS6702T running Truenas Scale. The CAX80 and Asustor AS6702T have been running happily at 2.5Gb for a week now with no issues. I left the Cat8 cable in place FWIW.

Maybe the issue lies partly or mostly with the AQC107 boards. They do run stinky-hot. That can't help.

Message 65 of 85
Dumaine
Tutor

So as I mentioned somewhere earlier (or maybe on the other thread), I got this thing used (as=is) off the bay, so it could be very well have other issues. What I don't understand is this. Just what difference does it make which NIC is in the PC when I only have the issue when wireless is Enabled? As soon as I disable it I run forever. In other words, what does the Multi gig port have to do with wireless section of the Gateway? 

Message 66 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for your info and details. 

Ya I see those particular chip set boards are all 10Gb supporting. You and @Dumaine have these boards. I haven't checked into these boards so I presume these could be a factor in what you two are seeing. 

You might try adding some forced are cooling to these boards to see if this might help. I see they have big heat sinks as they should however in a cramped PC box, possible these could not be getting enough cooling or air flow...

I have a Startech 5Gb USB to ethernet adatper and when i use it the entire heat sink block gets fairly warm. 

@My_Username wrote:

My CAX80 would not run 2.5Gb dependably when connected to an Asus XG-C100C. It would always run when first connected but would start dropping after varying lengths of time. CAX80 firmware did not seem to have any effect up through the current 2.1.5.2. Network cables Cat6a and Cat8 may have shown a little difference - or I may have wanted to see a difference. It wasn't a cure in any event.

The PC I was running the XG-C100C in failed for unrelated reasons and I rebuilt my network around a laptop and NAX box. The NAS is an Asustor AS6702T running Truenas Scale. The CAX80 and Asustor AS6702T have been running happily at 2.5Gb for a week now with no issues. I left the Cat8 cable in place FWIW.

Maybe the issue lies partly or mostly with the AQC107 boards. They do run stinky-hot. That can't help.

Message 67 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that there is some odd interference happening with these particular branded adatpers that these adapters maybe effected by the CAX80s wifi when thats enabled. 

What do you see on the adatper, in windows and on the front of the CAX multi gig port LED? I presume the color must change from BLUE to something else when this happens? 

So far Realtek here is working. I need to find out what the MSI Tomahawk board uses. I presume Intel or Realtek maybe. 

Would be a test if you got a Intel or a Realtek board or a 2.5Gb only board in to try and see if the same thing happens. 

@Dumaine wrote:

So as I mentioned somewhere earlier (or maybe on the other thread), I got this thing used (as=is) off the bay, so it could be very well have other issues. What I don't understand is this. Just what difference does it make which NIC is in the PC when I only have the issue when wireless is Enabled? As soon as I disable it I run forever. In other words, what does the Multi gig port have to do with wireless section of the Gateway? 

Message 68 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

When you updated drivers, can you look at the properties section in windows for this adapter then select the Driver tab. This should display the chipset mfr and driver version. What is seen here? Intel? Realtek? Something else seen here? 

@billg118 wrote:

Ethernet adapter is whatever NIC is built into the MSI X570s Tomahawk Max Wifi motherboard.

Message 69 of 85
Dumaine
Tutor

The Asus 10g uses Marvell or the Aqtion drivers

Message 70 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

I found it, the MSI Tomahawk uses Realtek: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-X570S-TOMAHAWK-MAX-WIFI/Specification

Realtek® 8125B 2.5Gbps LAN Controller

@FURRYe38 wrote:

When you updated drivers, can you look at the properties section in windows for this adapter then select the Driver tab. This should display the chipset mfr and driver version. What is seen here? Intel? Realtek? Something else seen here? 

@billg118 wrote:

Message 71 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

Still up and running with my 2.5Gb wired PC connected to the CAX80 multi gig port and WiFi enabled on the CAX80. 

Message 72 of 85
billg118
Guide

Thanks for finding this. Ive still been getting the disconnects so Ive installed the Realtek driver using the info you found.

Ill report back later to let you know if it worked.

Message 73 of 85
FURRYe38
Guru

What drivers had you been using? 

@billg118 wrote:

Thanks for finding this. Ive still been getting the disconnects so Ive installed the Realtek driver using the info you found.

Ill report back later to let you know if it worked.

Message 74 of 85
billg118
Guide

I installed the "Realtek PCI-E Ethernet Drivers" from the MSI support page for my motherboard.

Go to this link, click Lan Drivers, and its the W11 version.

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-X570S-TOMAHAWK-MAX-WIFI/support#driver

MSI vesrion

Released: 9/2022

Realtek version

Released: 11/2022

I haven't tested with the updated version yet but I'll be able to in a couple of hours.

Message 75 of 85
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 84 replies
  • 32 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7