Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: VoIP connections dropping with Netgear CM500V

Netguy333
Aspirant

VoIP connections dropping with Netgear CM500V

Hi,

I have been experiencing application disconnects with various applications that use Voice over IP. Hoping someone in this forum may have some suggestions. Here are the details.

Use VOIP with the following apps, and they all end up disconnecting while using them (can go for 40-60 minutes or as little as 10 minutes before the connection drop occurs):
Skype (Windows 10 app, not using video, just voice)
Teams (Windows 10 app, not using video, just voice)
Zoom (Windows 10 app, not using video, just voice)
Borderlands 3 (Windows 10 app)
Overwatch (Windows 10 app)

The connection typically re-establishes itself within about 10-30 seconds typically, so the connection persists through the drop.
This issue wasn’t happening prior to 4/21/2020. I installed my CM500V on 12/29/2019, and it has been working fine with these apps until 4/21/2020.

Internet speeds are always fine (~90 Megabits per second down, 5 up), and other applications (web browsers, etc.) continue to work fine for me during these outage blips.

I can have anywhere from 1 to 3 Windows 10 PC’s on the network at any given time, and this issue can be happening to more than one PC.

Comcast / Xfinity is my ISP. I have called (chatted) with them a couple of times and both times they have reset my Netgear CM500V Cable modem but that hasn’t fixed it. They also suggested I get a new cable modem, which I of course said no to as I am not convinced the issue is with my cable modem.

I tried connecting a PC directly to the cable modem to see if the issue persists in that setup, but I couldn’t get internet connection that way (might need to recycle my cable modem to get that to work, so may try that later). Here is my LAN setup:

NETGEAR CM500V

|

DLINK

/              \

Synology              TPLINK

Router A (DLINK) connected to Netgear CM500V
Router B (Synology) connected to Router A (DLINK)
Router C (TPLINK) connected to Router A (DLINK)

I have tried putting my PC’s on each router, and the issue continues on each of them.

Attached is my event log of my Netgear CM500V.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Model: CM500V|Cable Modem for Internet & Voice–DOCSIS 3.0
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

So to rule out the stacked router configuration, connect one PC directly to the modem and see if you still encounter problems there. IF you do then the problem is with the modem or ISP services. If you don't see problems, then the problem is downstream starting with the DIR router and your router configuration there. 

Suggested configuration would be DIR router to other two routers configured for AP mode. Or input one of the routers in router mode in the DIR-655 DMZ for better network flow thru NAT. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you connect PCs directly to the D-Link router only? 

What is the model# of the D-Link router? 

Having two other routers on the same line behind the D-Link router will cause problems. Especially NAT problems. 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

@Netguy333 wrote:

Hi,

I have been experiencing application disconnects with various applications that use Voice over IP. Hoping someone in this forum may have some suggestions. Here are the details.

Use VOIP with the following apps, and they all end up disconnecting while using them (can go for 40-60 minutes or as little as 10 minutes before the connection drop occurs):
Skype (Windows 10 app, not using video, just voice)
Teams (Windows 10 app, not using video, just voice)
Zoom (Windows 10 app, not using video, just voice)
Borderlands 3 (Windows 10 app)
Overwatch (Windows 10 app)

The connection typically re-establishes itself within about 10-30 seconds typically, so the connection persists through the drop.
This issue wasn’t happening prior to 4/21/2020. I installed my CM500V on 12/29/2019, and it has been working fine with these apps until 4/21/2020.

Internet speeds are always fine (~90 Megabits per second down, 5 up), and other applications (web browsers, etc.) continue to work fine for me during these outage blips.

I can have anywhere from 1 to 3 Windows 10 PC’s on the network at any given time, and this issue can be happening to more than one PC.

Comcast / Xfinity is my ISP. I have called (chatted) with them a couple of times and both times they have reset my Netgear CM500V Cable modem but that hasn’t fixed it. They also suggested I get a new cable modem, which I of course said no to as I am not convinced the issue is with my cable modem.

I tried connecting a PC directly to the cable modem to see if the issue persists in that setup, but I couldn’t get internet connection that way (might need to recycle my cable modem to get that to work, so may try that later). Here is my LAN setup:

NETGEAR CM500V

|

DLINK

/              \

Synology              TPLINK

Router A (DLINK) connected to Netgear CM500V
Router B (Synology) connected to Router A (DLINK)
Router C (TPLINK) connected to Router A (DLINK)

I have tried putting my PC’s on each router, and the issue continues on each of them.

Attached is my event log of my Netgear CM500V.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Message 2 of 7
Netguy333
Aspirant

Thanks  FURRYe38 for the quick response!

Here are answers to your questions:

What happens if you connect PCs directly to the D-Link router only?  Same issue.  Random drops/disconnects of VoIP Apps.

What is the model# of the D-Link router? DIR-655 (yes, very old but meant to only act as a NAT router between my two other main networks).

Having two other routers on the same line behind the D-Link router will cause problems. Especially NAT problems.

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT

I have been using this setup (one main router connected to the cable modem, two routers connected to the main router) for over 5 years with no issues.  Use it to isolate my main network from my "untrusted" IOT device network (such as Roku devices, Web enabled cameras, etc.).  https://pcper.com/2016/08/steve-gibsons-three-router-solution-to-iot-insecurity/

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. : They (Comcast) have checked it twice now and claim it is fine.  I question this though as I suspect the issue is with my ISP given these apps were working fine until 4/21 last month.

Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box.  Only one (provided and installed by Comcast) at the box outside where the line coming from the street is split before going into the house.  One line goes straight to my modem, the other goes to my Xfinity DVR TV box (see attached photo).  

Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem.  There is one RG6 female to female coupler adapter joining the RG6 cable from outside to an interior cable going to the Netgear modem.  Both cables and connectors provided and installed by Comcast and appear to be high quality RG6 cable.

Thanks again for your help.  

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

So to rule out the stacked router configuration, connect one PC directly to the modem and see if you still encounter problems there. IF you do then the problem is with the modem or ISP services. If you don't see problems, then the problem is downstream starting with the DIR router and your router configuration there. 

Suggested configuration would be DIR router to other two routers configured for AP mode. Or input one of the routers in router mode in the DIR-655 DMZ for better network flow thru NAT. 

Message 4 of 7
Netguy333
Aspirant

Thanks!  I'll let you know how it goes.

Message 5 of 7
Netguy333
Aspirant

The issue was the cascading routers.  Apparently the Dlink attached to the cable modem wasn't able to handle the multiple NAC translations from the other routers attached to it, and was constantly dropping packets.  Removed the DLINK and am only using a single router now.  Speeds have also increased dramatically.  Putting all my IOT devices on the "guest" wifi of the main router to keep that traffic isolated from my main network.  Thanks again.

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, double nat can cause problems. Glad you got it working again. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Netguy333 wrote:

The issue was the cascading routers.  Apparently the Dlink attached to the cable modem wasn't able to handle the multiple NAC translations from the other routers attached to it, and was constantly dropping packets.  Removed the DLINK and am only using a single router now.  Speeds have also increased dramatically.  Putting all my IOT devices on the "guest" wifi of the main router to keep that traffic isolated from my main network.  Thanks again.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7