Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

What is a good power range. What would be a great power range

anuhea55
Aspirant

What is a good power range. What would be a great power range

I have a C6900 modem/wifi that when I enter the main page 192.168.0.1, I see "Good" on the Cable connection.  Is there a Better or Great or Excellant entries available?

My 24 download ranges from -8.9 to -14 and my 4 upload channels read 48.4 to 50.4.  Are these numbers Good, Marginally bad or something else.  What would be ranges that you would consider better than mine.  COX tells me that there are issues with my power settings.

What can be done to improve these numbers, short of buying another Modem/wifi

Model: C6900|High Speed Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: What is a good power range. What would be a great power range

On the main page all you'll get is good or bad. Its not very descriptive. 

Its hard to tell you with what you've put for ranges as all the details are need. A screen snip is better to help us. It sounds like your power readings aren't good and cox is probably right with that.

You don't need a new modem/wifi to fix it. Its usually a line issue either from cox or within your house.

1. Remove any splitters, amplifiers, 90 degree elbows, kinked cables from the line.

2. check all your connectors for corrosion, loose fitting, bad connections, cheap connections.

3. Check your coax cable for extended (long) runs, moisture in the line, corrosion, wear/tear, and kinks. replace them if there are.

One of the easiest things to do is to move the modem right to where the cable comes into the house and connect there.  It reduces the chance of a cable/connector in the house causing issues. Cable companies are required to provide you with a good signal entering the house. After its in the house, its on the home owner to maintain within the house.  So move it, and then check your signals. 

here's a website with more info on signal strength. Its helpful with troubleshooting.

https://pickmymodem.com/signal-levels-docsis-3-03-1-cable-modem/

Message 2 of 10
anuhea55
Aspirant

Thanks Netgear Community,
Here are some screen shots of my modem...maybe you could give me a insight to my ranges, and at least tell me what the numbers mean, especially the BAD ones.  Of course, COX looked another image timestamp, than the one I'm sending you.

I'm running a cat5e cable directly to the PC.  There is one split-er coming out of the wall.  I did tighten all the coaxial cables and then power restarted.  Thanks for you time and info..  I also notice that not the same Channels numbers have the same power settings upon requeing the modem display....also, the Power units are different on the down/up and the up does not list any SNR!  I'm not sure if the Inserted PDF file works here...I tried an Clipboard image insert that did not work so had to add it to a pdf file. 

***After posting, got an error....How do I add a file or a clipboard image to this forum?? 
I get download power/SNR range -8.9/37.8 to -13.2/33.6.  On the Upload side, I see ranges of 48.4 dBmv to 50.4.
Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

So technically your power is within spec but its a bit low. Optimally its -8 to 8 dbmv for downstream. within spec is -15 to 15 dbmv.  Thats why I say you're technically within spec. And your upstream is within spec to. 

From the pdf it also doens't look like there's any errors. Have you tried taking the splitter out of the line for testing? if power levels significantly increase, you might need to replace it. also is it a 2 port splitter or how many is it?

Are you having issues with the modem?

What are they?

Message 4 of 10
anuhea55
Aspirant

Thanks Netgear,

I started to read the link you sent about power levels and will continue to search.

I do not "feel" any problems with my modem, don't experience any dropped signals...an I'm on all day.  My download speedtest ranges about 210-230+Mbps, but my downloads have dropped to 5-7, was 10+ a few weeks ago.  Contacted Cox, and thy said my modem has issues, so I started to inquire my modem readings...Of course, I didn't understand the numbers.  I did ping, tracert ran Pingplotter and read many Cox forums where so many people complained about speedtest and dropped signals.

I will investigate connecting my modem directly to the wall, requires moving a desk.  Now that I have printouts, I can compare some numbers and maybe understand the numbers. 

On another note...when posting to your forum reply box, I was not able to directly insert a clipboard saved image.  Just got a blank screen.  So, I created a PDF saved file and used the Browse below to insert.  When I posted my reply, I was told that there was something in the body of the reply that had to first be removed...I accepted and continued.  You said that the PDF file was sent and it was not the item removed.  Maybe it was the failed image or something else?  Just wondering about image...I see RichText, so could be text only?

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

@anuhea55 wrote:

Thanks Netgear,---we're not netgear. We're just people from the community helping out. 🙂 

I started to read the link you sent about power levels and will continue to search.

I do not "feel" any problems with my modem, don't experience any dropped signals...an I'm on all day.  My download speedtest ranges about 210-230+Mbps, but my downloads have dropped to 5-7, was 10+ a few weeks ago.---what do you mean by this? Are your speeds 200+ or is it the lower speeds 5-7?  Or are you talking your upload speeds are low? Not sure exactly what you're meaning.  Contacted Cox, and thy said my modem has issues, so I started to inquire my modem readings...Of course, I didn't understand the numbers.  I did ping, tracert ran Pingplotter and read many Cox forums where so many people complained about speedtest and dropped signals.

I will investigate connecting my modem directly to the wall, requires moving a desk.  Now that I have printouts, I can compare some numbers and maybe understand the numbers. 

On another note...when posting to your forum reply box, I was not able to directly insert a clipboard saved image.  Just got a blank screen.  So, I created a PDF saved file and used the Browse below to insert.  When I posted my reply, I was told that there was something in the body of the reply that had to first be removed...I accepted and continued.  You said that the PDF file was sent and it was not the item removed.  Maybe it was the failed image or something else?  Just wondering about image...I see RichText, so could be text only?---I get that supid pop up saying somethings not right as well. I usually just resubmit and it works. Whenever you "choose file" and attach, it usually works fine accept from the error. Just resubmit if that happens. If you use the photos/video option then a moderator has to approve it .

Message 6 of 10
anuhea55
Aspirant

Thanks Netgear Community for your response back.

Yes my previous note should have been Upload speedtest, using Cox to my local OC of about 5-7..a week ago was 10.7+

So, I connected the modem cable directly and did see some improvement in my Modem values but not on the SpeedTest or the ping to cox.net.  PingPlotter had the same issue, so it must be in COX's side or in my lines before the modem.  Speedtest was still around 225 upload and 6.5 upload.

Modem with splitter: download was -8.8 to -13.9dBmV; SNR ranged between 33.4 to 37.9

Upload was  Power 48.4 to 50.4

Modem without splitter...direct connect to wall..I power restarted after connections.  Download was -4.9 to -7.7.  SNR was 36.5 to 39.

Upload was Power 45 to 47.5

So the weak link may be the splitter.

Antronix, 2 way splitter 5-1002mHz

Cmc 2002HC-a with two -3.5db out ports.

Any suggestions, maybe an upgrade to the splitter.  I may look at going from cat5e to cat6 cables.  Both tests had 0 correctables/Un.

Thanks

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

@anuhea55 wrote:

Thanks Netgear Community for your response back.

Yes my previous note should have been Upload speedtest, using Cox to my local OC of about 5-7..a week ago was 10.7+

So, I connected the modem cable directly and did see some improvement in my Modem values but not on the SpeedTest or the ping to cox.net.  PingPlotter had the same issue, so it must be in COX's side or in my lines before the modem.  Speedtest was still around 225 upload and 6.5 upload.

Modem with splitter: download was -8.8 to -13.9dBmV; SNR ranged between 33.4 to 37.9----This is to much variance. it should be within 3dbmv (+/- a little but not quite that much)

Upload was  Power 48.4 to 50.4

Modem without splitter...direct connect to wall..I power restarted after connections.  Download was -4.9 to -7.7.  SNR was 36.5 to 39.------much better. I'd have to agree that your splitter is probably bad

Upload was Power 45 to 47.5

So the weak link may be the splitter.

Antronix, 2 way splitter 5-1002mHz

Cmc 2002HC-a with two -3.5db out ports.

Any suggestions, maybe an upgrade to the splitter.  I may look at going from cat5e to cat6 cables.  Both tests had 0 correctables/Un.

Thanks

I'd have to agree with trying a different splitter. You'll loose some signal strength with splitters but your variance in power shouldn't be quite what it is. Its good you don't have any errors. 

Message 8 of 10
anuhea55
Aspirant

Thanks Plemans for your follow-up.  I've learned a little more about modem signals and tools.  I was a little shocked by the variations across the channels and what the splitter removal values were.  I don't seem to have issues that are really obvious...like real slow download or intermittent signal loss.  I only started looking since COX always asks about modem power.  Never understood, but I fell better.  My download speeds is about 225Mbps, upload has dropped from 10 down to 5-6.  For a non-gigablast system, I think this is OK.

I need a 2 splitter (a TV is on the other line), so are there model/brands that the community likes?  What would be some high specifications that I would look for in a product?

Thanks

Ed

Message 9 of 10
plemans
Guru

all splitters are going to cause some loss but yours might have been bad and caused more than it should have. You can try just a regular replacment. If its still dropping to far, you can ask your ISP to boost your signal. But if its working fine, I'd replace it and not worry to much. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series