Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Xfinity Compatible Modem Recommendations

richki02
Guide

Xfinity Compatible Modem Recommendations

Like most - I'm working from home through the end of the calendar year (with heavy downloads / uploads of files + zoom/teams video conferences throughout the day).  this is coupled with schooling from home, other (4) members on the family constantly online and upcoming addition of home security cams.  so need to maximize the pipeline i'm getting from xfinity and spread it through and just outside my home (for security cams).  can folks recommend xfiinity cable modem and routers/satellites? thx for your help.

Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

What speeds do you pay for or plan on paying for? (upload and download)

How big is your home? 

What are your interior walls made of? 

How many devices total do you plan on supporting? 

depending on all that, I'm a fan of the netgear Orbi. Its great for providing coverage with great speeds. And its easily expandable if you need better coverage or more satellites. And it has the option of wireless or wired backhaul. 

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

First check with the ISP to see what they support before buying. 

NGs CM1000/1100 are recommended. 

@richki02 wrote:

Like most - I'm working from home through the end of the calendar year (with heavy downloads / uploads of files + zoom/teams video conferences throughout the day).  this is coupled with schooling from home, other (4) members on the family constantly online and upcoming addition of home security cams.  so need to maximize the pipeline i'm getting from xfinity and spread it through and just outside my home (for security cams).  can folks recommend xfiinity cable modem and routers/satellites? thx for your help.

Message 3 of 7
richki02
Guide

Thanks for your help.  Here's some additional info to your questions...

What speeds do you pay for or plan on paying for? 

* up to 275mbs download / 10mbs upload

How big is your home? 

* 3000 sq ft but want to get a bit of coverage outdoors

What are your interior walls made of? 

* Mainly wood and dry wall (probably some steel joint support)

How many devices total do you plan on supporting? 

* 10-20 across 5 folks in the family (all working, schooling and entertaining at home - including lots of streaming, video conferencing, online gaming)

Not sure if I need a combo cable modem/router and other satellites.  Or if I should go with a cable modem and then separate router/satellites?  And in both cases - which ones.  Hoping I could have selected these on my own but getting lost with the options.  

Thanks for your help. 

Message 4 of 7
richki02
Guide

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.  Looks like my bandwidth is much lower than yours - perhaps that's one of the issues.  Just not sure if they offer more than what I'm paying for now.  I'll check.  But per your notes - if I'm reading it right:

1) You use the Nighthawk AX8 as your cable modem and then use the Orbi RBK853 as your wifi router.  

2) and then second your "additional" are other options/variations.  Some with dedicated cable modem.  And some like the CBK40 which is a combo cable modem/router.  

For additional: do you recommend a dedicated cable modem over a cable modem/router combo?  

Thanks for your help.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

I'm a fan of a seperate modem and router. 

Reason why is the ISP controls the firmware on modems and modem/router combo devices. 

So by buying them seperate, you can upgrade the firmware yourself. As well as if the modem side goes bad, you're out the modem and the router. 

Its a bit more of a buy in but offers more options to upgrade, replace, repair, and update. 

In terms of modem, I'd look at whats compatible with your service with xfinity and if you plan on upgrading. They have a recommended devices page on their web portal for your service.

For the router I'd recommend any of the triband orbi's. They work great and can be easily expanded. I'd avoid the dual band orbi (cheapest models). 

Message 6 of 7
richki02
Guide

Thank you for these insights and quick reply.  Much appreciated. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi 770 Series