Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

blinking red ethernet light

Erin77
Aspirant

blinking red ethernet light

Just activated new xfinity internet service with brand new CM500 modem- all lights are solid green except for the Ethernet light, which is blinking red. Xfinity customer service says my modem is active and working perfectly on their end. Can’t access internet with Ethernet cord plugged directly into my computer or plugged into my router. Switched Ethernet cords to see if that was the problem and no change. 😞 please help me!
Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: blinking red ethernet light

As per the CM500 User Manual p.6 there is no red LED on the Ethernet port:

CM500 LED Descriptions UM P6 .PNG

An amber LED does indicate there is a 10 or 100 Mbit/s link speed negotiated between the computer. This can be a limitation of the computer Ethernet interface, or a bad/incomplete cable - a Gigabit Ethernet link requires four correctly wired and patched pairs. This should allow communication between the computer and at least the Cable Modem on http://192.168.100.1/ - permitting the computer is set-up to DHCP (and getting a public IP from the ISP DHCP).

Message 2 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Message 3 of 7
Erin77
Aspirant

Yes, the internet service is activated.
Message 4 of 7
Erin77
Aspirant

Okay, the amber light is still blinking, but now when I plug the Ethernet cord directly into my computer, the internet works on my computer just fine. When I plug into the router though, I can’t connect to the WiFi. My router (an apple airport express) has a solid green light and worked just fine a couple days ago with my old modem, so I don’t think my router is the issue. My devices recognize my network and try to connect, but cannot.
Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@Erin77 wrote:
Okay, the amber light is still blinking, ... My router (an apple airport express)...

Airport Express routers are supporting 10/100 Mbit/s only, so the amber LED is OK.

@Erin77 wrote:
  but now when I plug the Ethernet cord directly into my computer, the internet works on my computer just fine. When I plug into the router though, I can’t connect to the WiFi.

Wait. Your ISP will only allow one MAC address on the cable modem. If you had connected the computer before direct to the CM500 (e.g. to "activate the Internet") it won't issue a public IP address to your router WAN port. Power-off the router, reboot the CM500, wait some minutes, then power-up the router again.

The can't connect to the  WiFi is a little bit vague - I would assume the router does come up anyway, and the wireless connection can be established, regardless if the router "has Internet" or not. However, some operating systems make users believe that if these systems can't reach the Internet, that the Wireless connection can't be established.

Message 6 of 7
Erin77
Aspirant

I powered down, rebooted, powered back up, and no change.
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7