Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

question on adding a VPN on modem router

moonlight1232
Follower

question on adding a VPN on modem router

Hi all...  Just a simple question,,, I want to add a VPN to this modem router... Can I do this and is it easy or a big ole PIA?

can't find that info anywhere... THanks much

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Kitsap
Master

Re: question on adding a VPN on modem router

@moonlight1232 wrote:

Hi all...  Just a simple question,,, I want to add a VPN to this modem router... Can I do this and is it easy or a big ole PIA?

To start off with, it would be good to know what "this modem router" is, specifically by model number?

Most Netgear routers include an Open VPN server option that can be enabled and configured.  This Open VPN server will allow an outside connection back to your LAN via the internet.  Often used to access files on your LAN, security cameras on your LAN, etc.

If you are talking about using an outside VPN service to use to connect to the internet (examples Nord, Express, etc.) that is a different story.  That option would require your installing the specific VPN service firmware on your router if the service supports it by name and model number.  Keep in mind, installation of any third party firmware, like from a VPN service, would void any Netgear warranty.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Kitsap
Master

Re: question on adding a VPN on modem router

@moonlight1232 wrote:

To start off with, it would be good to know what "this modem router" is, specifically by model number?

Most Netgear routers include an Open VPN server option that can be enabled and configured.  This Open VPN server will allow an outside connection back to your LAN via the internet.  Often used to access files on your LAN, security cameras on your LAN, etc.

If you are talking about using an outside VPN service to use to connect to the internet (examples Nord, Express, etc.) that is a different story.  That option would require your installing the specific VPN service firmware on your router if the service supports it by name and model number.  Keep in mind, installation of any third party firmware, like from a VPN service, would void any Netgear warranty.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7