Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C6300 Can connect to router can't login Please help

NephiliMR6
Tutor

C6300 Can connect to router can't login Please help

I can access the login screen, put in my known password but tells me it's incorrect. I follow up with entering the serial number and answering my security questions and it shows me the password, which was correct, but I still can't login.

So I do a factory reset on the router, can get to the login page where it asks me to change the password and I do. Then it prompts me to login, still can't login. I again put in my serial number and answer the security questions and again my password as what I entered. I decied to copy and paste it from the recovery screen on to a notepad, I'm being paranoid at this point, and paste it in. Still unable to login. After multiple attempts of logging in I relectuntly do another factory reset.

I clear ALL my history, cache, downloads, history, saved, EVERYTHING. again go through the whole process as above and am still not able to login. I'm at a loss!!! Please help.

Model: C6300|AC1750 Cable Modem Router Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
NephiliMR6
Tutor

Re: C6300 Can connect to router can't login Please help

The FCC requires that a customer-purchased MODEM must be serviceable by Spectrum for their network maintenance 7 x 24, 365.  Therefore you are NOT permitted to change the name or password.  The firmware loaded into the modem enforces that requirement by blocking your attempt to change the password. 

You can change the user name and password of a separate ROUTER any time as you want, but not a modem+router combination.  

Complete Bull**bleep**

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 15

All Replies
NephiliMR6
Tutor

This is just a bump.

Message 2 of 15
NephiliMR6
Tutor

After reading others review feeling less than hopeful for a solution. Netgear seems to be littered with buggy appliances and not a lot of support past the 90 days. Very sad for some of the asking prices of some of their equipment. Still hoping for community support. 

Message 3 of 15
plemans
Guru

Have you tried a differnet pc after the reset? 

Or tried installing via the app? 

Message 4 of 15
NephiliMR6
Tutor

Thanks for the response.

I have tried from another computer and still had the same effect.

I looked at the app I will have to try it later when at home, but I'm not sure how this will help me login to the router from my computer. 

Message 5 of 15
plemans
Guru

Try factory resetting again. Push and hold reset for 7-15 seconds while its powered on. Try the app after that. Usually the browser is the one that works fine but if its having issues for some reason, try the app setup process. 

When you setup the password make sure to avoid spaces/special characters. Also make sure to disable any autofill managers as they can overwrite data. 

Message 6 of 15
NephiliMR6
Tutor

Tried the App and it just hangs in the loading screen after entering my credentials. 

I tried resetting this thing AGAIN and trying to log in first through my app, and the app just hangs at the loading screen. 

Message 7 of 15
plemans
Guru

If its not working, you can't log into it, factory reset doesn't work, a different computer doesn't work. it usually means either somethings corrupt in it or there was a hardware failure. 

2 things to try.

1. contact your ISP. See if they can remotely re-provision the C6300. Because the C6300 is a modem/router combo device, the end user can't reload firmware on it. The isp has to

2. How old is it? if its still within warranty, you could start an RMA process with netgear. click "mynetgear" at the top. register an account and the device. You might still be within warranty

Message 8 of 15
NephiliMR6
Tutor

Not under warranty I checked.

I'm going to be contacting my ISP.

I really appreciate all of your help

Message 9 of 15
NephiliMR6
Tutor

The FCC requires that a customer-purchased MODEM must be serviceable by Spectrum for their network maintenance 7 x 24, 365.  Therefore you are NOT permitted to change the name or password.  The firmware loaded into the modem enforces that requirement by blocking your attempt to change the password. 

You can change the user name and password of a separate ROUTER any time as you want, but not a modem+router combination.  

Complete Bull**bleep**

Message 10 of 15
plemans
Guru

Not sure where you picked this up from but its not true. 

I've got both modem/router combo device and standard modems. You can change the login password for both. 

with modems and modem/router combo device the ISP does control the firmware on them but not password, wireless ssid/wireless password. 

Message 11 of 15
NephiliMR6
Tutor

If you have a resolution I would be happy to hear about it.

I pulled the Router/Modem from spectrum, so it's not currently connected to the ISP. 

After trying another factory reset I'm still unable to get into the C6300. I never had a problem prior to connecting it to spectrum. 

I've tried above steps from different browsers, clearing history, etc, etc. 

If you have another solution or possible answer I'm all for it, but at this point my guess is the update of the firmware that is pushed bricked the router/modem. So it's a useless piece of hardware. 

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

YOu might take it to a Spectrum office if you have a local office and talk to someone there. Explain the problem and see what they say. 

Message 13 of 15
NephiliMR6
Tutor

As soon as we can get out from House lock down from COVID-19 lol

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I hear ya. LOL. Hopefully sooner then later. Keep safe. 

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7