Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: C7000 firmware downgrade

gagandeep
Guide

C7000 firmware downgrade

Is there a way I can get an older firmware and flash it? If yes where can I download from? Thank you
Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
IrvSp
Master

Wrong forum, should be in the Cable Modem Forum, go to COMMUNITY, select HOME, and then CABLE MODEM.

As far as I know, ONLY your ISP can do that, they control the modem and f/w running on it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
IrvSp
Master

Wrong forum, should be in the Cable Modem Forum, go to COMMUNITY, select HOME, and then CABLE MODEM.

As far as I know, ONLY your ISP can do that, they control the modem and f/w running on it.

Message 2 of 7

In addition, this is the Netgear party line.

What’s the latest firmware version of my NETGEAR cable modem or modem router? | Answer | NETGEAR Sup...

If your firmware is outdated, you cannot manually upgrade your cable modem’s or modem router’s firmware. You must contact your Internet service provider (ISP) to upgrade your firmware.

Message 3 of 7
dsn2282
Aspirant

Re: C7000 firmware downgrade/upgrade

Netgear says only the ISP can download the latest firmware which is V1.02.14 in my case for a c7000v2 cable modem/router.

When I call the ISP they say they cannot do it. How do I resolve this problem. Can I download the firmware v1.02.14 from somewhere, save it on my desktop and then download it to my gateway vis Netgear Genie? I am sure many are having the same problem. I am being told to discard my working netgear Modem and then buy another one of the same for $94(BestBuy) which might have the latest firmware installed. I want to make sure there is no other option before I discard a functioning modem/router. Thanks

Model: C7000-1AZNAS|Nighthawk AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 4 of 7

@dsn2282 wrote:

Can I download the firmware v1.02.14 from somewhere, save it on my desktop and then download it to my gateway vis Netgear Genie?

No. See above. That's the way that Internet service providers run things.

But try this.

Someone recently found that they could get their cable modem to upgrade the firmware by rebooting their modem and getting it to reconnect to the network. In the process, the modem detected and installed new firmware.

Of course, that depends on having an Internet service provider that hosts the update. Some ISPs seem reluctant to do this, possibly because they want to rent you a modem.

I don't know what problems you are having that persuade you that you need a firmware update, but in general experienced users like to have separate modems and routers. So buying a (CM) modem-only device, rarher than a modem-router, and adding your own router will give you more control.

Then you can update the router to take advantage of whatever new features and fixes come along. Routers seem to get more frequent updates.

An alternative might be to put your C7000 into modem only mode (turn off router mode) and then add your own router.

Message 5 of 7
IrvSp
Master

@dsn2282 wrote:

Netgear says only the ISP can download the latest firmware which is V1.02.14 in my case for a c7000v2 cable modem/router.

When I call the ISP they say they cannot do it.

First I'd call back again.

However the ISP is the one responsible for updating modem/routers YOU put on their system. They DO control what can be put on their system.

So, either you didn't get permission to use the modem/router, and they allowed it to connect OR they have not completed TESTING the firmware with their system OR they have and they do not want to deploy it for a reason. Only your ISP can tell YOU why they will NOT provide it.

@dsn2282 wrote:

I am being told to discard my working netgear Modem and then buy another one of the same for $94(BestBuy) which might have the latest firmware installed. I want to make sure there is no other option before I discard a functioning modem/router. Thanks

Well, doing so might not get you what you want, not all hardware sold has the latest firmware installed. Who even told you that? Sounds like BS to me? If that is the case then the ISP has approved the latest f/w for use.

Action, call again and ASK to speak to a SUPERVISOR and be persistent.

May I ask WHY you need this update? With the recent track record of NG updates, I'm not sure I'd even want to try one?

Message 6 of 7

@IrvSp wrote:

May I ask WHY you need this update? With the recent track record of NG updates, I'm not sure I'd even want to try one?

Good question. I'm not alone then in wondering.

Here's an update on my earlier suggestion that there may be ways to get an update on a cable modem/router:

Solved: Re: C3700-100NAS - Firmware questions - NETGEAR Communities

Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7