Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: CAX80 (AX6000): multi-gig ethernet port and botched firmware update

Parmenedes
Aspirant

CAX80 (AX6000): multi-gig ethernet port and botched firmware update

OK, so it's possible that the info I'm working from here is incorrect, in which case, please politely correct me, but unless I'm wrong, the most recent firmware update for the CAX80 somehow screwed up the multi-gig ethernet port (i.e. the MOST important ethernet port on the modem/router).  The port was working fine until we updated to 2.1.1.4, at which point I keep getting inconsisten connections and full-blown disconnects.  I read that that was a result of a problem with that firmware (again, please correct me if I'm wrong).

But assuming this is correct, I'm wondering if there is a timeline for when this will be fixed.  I'm not even sure how much control we have over that firmware since it's pushed to us by comcast, so I'm not sure it's possible for us to revert to a previous version, and the problems with that port are kind of driving me nuts.  The obvious workaround is to plug my ethernet into one of the other ports, which I'm doing for now, but that means slower and less consistent speeds/latency, and it kind of defeats the purpose of having a $450 router in the first place - that was one of the cool selling points of this router in the first place.

Any help would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is connected to the multi gig port? PC? 

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? 

I hadn't seen any problems on this port after mine was updated...

Message 2 of 8
Parmenedes
Aspirant

Yes, it's a pc that is connected to the multi-gig port.  You can find other posts online of others having this same problem.  Factory reset doesn't help since comcast just pushes the 2.1.1.4 firmware to the modem without my consent.  Here is one such post:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Broken-firmware-V2-1-1-4-Cax80/td-p/3396757

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Do any wired devices experience a problem here? And the other LAN ports work ok if you don't use the MG port?

What is the mfr and model# of the wired adapter thats being used in the PC? 

When I had my CAX80 online, I had my Orbi AX router connected to the multi gig port and didn't see any issues. Is one devices that connects at 2.5Gb and worked with the CAX80.

Message 4 of 8
Parmenedes
Aspirant

Any PC's that are plugged into the multgig port experience this problem.  From the other posts I've read online, it appears to happen all (or at least mostly) to people who use comcast, but that might be because comcast forces the firmware updates rather than letting us update them manually.

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking about, but the device listed in network adapers is Intel(R) eterhnet connection (11) 1219-V.  It's what comes on an MSI z490 Meg Ace motherboard.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume that you have updated the drivers from Intels web site for this adapter as well? 

You'll need to contact NG support and let them know about this. There would be nothing we can do otherwise. Seems to be limited postings about this and others in here haven't mentioned it much or if at all. 

Message 6 of 8
Parmenedes
Aspirant

Yeah I keep my drivers updated pretty religiously - except my video drivers since I have an RTX 3080, and Nvidia's drivers are still kind of a mess six months after the "release" of those cards.  I'm still using one that's a few months old (457.51) since it seems to be the most stable (and I have tried some of the newer ones but always end up using ddu to go back to that one since it works better).  But all my other drivers I keep updated pretty constantly, including chipset, network drivers, and the bios itself.

Also, yes I haven't seen posts on these forums about this particular problem, but I have seen them posted elsewhere.  The common thread seems to be people who have comcast, the firmware update to 2.1.1.4, and having to switch to a non-multigig port to get a reliable connection.  Comcast of course is no help at all.

I'm hesitant to contact netgear support because there's only so much corporate troubleshooting my mental health can take, but it's looking like I'll probably have to.   Regardless, I appreciate the responses here and the time you took to make them.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, something you'll need to contact NG support about. If this IS a problem in FW, theres nothing forum help can do as it would need to be addressed by NG support and development. 

Good Luck. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7