Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CAX80

Beejer
Follower

CAX80

Just installed the CAX80. My hard wired Ring doorbell/camera system is unable to connect. I read something about only being able to use the 2.5htz and having to disable the other, but not sure if that's correct, or how to do it? Ring apparently only works on 2.5? This whole set up has been a nightmare for me and just when I thought I was good to go, I'm not. 

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: CAX80

Its usually just poor coding on the manufacturer's part. 

The trick is to have your phone on the 2.4ghz during setup. 

So go into the router and disable smart connect. Name the 5ghz something seperate (temporarily). 

Then connect your phone to the 2.4ghz and try setup on of the ring. 

Message 2 of 5

@plemans wrote:

The trick is to have your phone on the 2.4ghz during setup. 

If that doesn't work, you may be able to turn off the modem/router's 5GHz wireless temporarily. The manual for the CAX80 explains how to do this.

It really is about time that the people who make these IoT gadgets worked out how to install them on "smart" wifi networks. It isn't exactly new wifi technology.

PS Nice to see that no one stepped in and "helpfully" said that this isn't the right section to ask about a cable-modem router. Why not? This is as good a place as any. The question applies to just about any router that combines 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz with a single SSID.

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Cable Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Cable modems and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

@Beejer wrote:

Just installed the CAX80. My hard wired Ring doorbell/camera system is unable to connect. I read something about only being able to use the 2.5htz and having to disable the other, but not sure if that's correct, or how to do it? Ring apparently only works on 2.5? This whole set up has been a nightmare for me and just when I thought I was good to go, I'm not. 

Message 4 of 5

@Beejer wrote:

....having to disable the other, but not sure if that's correct, or how to do it?

Visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number, CAX80, and get the manual.

Check the section in the manual Control the WiFi radios. The manual isn't clear on what you will see when you get into those controls. You'll have to play it by ear. The manual does say that the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz LEDs will tell you if those bands are active. So there should be a way to disable the 5 GHz.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7