Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM 1200 and R8000R not picking up 1000mbps

Saintmattis
Aspirant

CM 1200 and R8000R not picking up 1000mbps

I've been having issues with my modem, my ISP came out and sent the right boot files then I received 960mbps for a few hours, then the speeds dropped from 100mbps to 400mbps. They came out some more times and apparently they tested the modem and it's getting 960mbps but it doesn't work on my computer any more like it did the first time. Is there some setting I need to mess with or did a windows update mess the settings up? When I test the speed from the modem CM1200 to the R8000p it only sends about 500 to 560 Mbps, any ideas?

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem, R8000P|Nighthawk X6S AC4000 Tri Band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM 1200 and R8000R not picking up 1000mbps

IF your getting to spec speeds with the modem only and your not with the R8000 router, then I would presume the problem is with the router.

Please post about this here for your model router:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/bd-p/home-wifi-routers-nighthawk

Good Luck.

@Saintmattis wrote:

I've been having issues with my modem, my ISP came out and sent the right boot files then I received 960mbps for a few hours, then the speeds dropped from 100mbps to 400mbps. They came out some more times and apparently they tested the modem and it's getting 960mbps but it doesn't work on my computer any more like it did the first time. Is there some setting I need to mess with or did a windows update mess the settings up? When I test the speed from the modem CM1200 to the R8000p it only sends about 500 to 560 Mbps, any ideas?

Message 2 of 6
Saintmattis
Aspirant

True, but why would I still have issues with my modem if I hardwire to my PC. Again, the tech got the speeds to go into about 970 Mbps with my PC plugged into the modem, I plug the modem to the router and my PC to the router and maintained around 960 Mbps, then a few hours later went down. Not the modem still doesn't get near 900 Mbps.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

SO if you leave the PC connected to the modem directly with out the router inline, does the speed still drop or does it maintain hours later? 

Possible signal drop issue on the line. 

Possible bad modem and you'd have to try another one to see if this continues. IF it does, I would think it's the ISP signal on the line thats the problem. 

Message 4 of 6
Saintmattis
Aspirant

Speeds are now around 300 Mbps, this is with the new modem. My ISP came out and tested the line and showed me that a Rasberry Pi was able to pull around 930 Mbps on my modem, like what my computer did before, but for some reason, my computer can't pull it now. This is a replacement modem as well, just in case that was the issue.

But for some reason, my PC is no longer getting the right speeds and the Router is only getting 500 Mbps when I test it, I'm thinking of replacing the modem as well and hoping it's not my ISP lying to me with some fake speed tester.

I just checked my router speeds and there getting around 600 to 800 Mbps

Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a different wired PC to besure.

I would ensure that there are not back ground running apps on the PC. 

Disable any and all security applications and browser add ons.

Speed test with Ooklas installable speed test app so you get a more accurate speed test. 

Speed test with your ISPs web site speed test if one if available. 

Try different browsers as well. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7