Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000 modem signal issues (cox)

Trictagon
Follower

CM1000 modem signal issues (cox)

From the event log, various errors:

"Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re-initializing MAC;CM-MAC=..."

"Dynamic Range Window violation"

"RNG-RSP CCAP Commanded Power Exceeds Value Corresponding to the Top of the DRW;"

"MDD message timeout;"

My ISP is cox cable (arizona) (non-fiber gigabit internet), and I use a CM1000 modem. Errors like the ones above keep flooding the event log, and I don't really know what they mean, but the amount of errors in the screenshot above 800MHz seem incredibly high. I've tried factory reset and changing the starting frequency (but it always changes itself back anyway). I don't know what I'm doing. Is there a way to just get my modem to use lower frequencies? Are these Signal-to-Noise ratios bad? Is it normal for 12 channels to not be used?

The problems I experience are as follows: internet seems fine with negligable amounts of dropped packets, then suddenly (about every 30min) every packet is dropped for 30-60 seconds. The modem proceeds to try to reconnect to the ISP (all lights turn off, then it starts downstream, upstream, etc), and then it (usually) goes back to normal. Occasionally, after this 30-60 second period of no internet, the modem reconnects to cox, but the upstream light is red instead of green. Obviously an issue like this occuring every 30min or so is a problem.

Tech is coming out tuesday (3rd or 4th time we've had someone come out for an issue like this) but usually nothing really changes. They've checked, tightened, and/or replaced all the coax cables each time, with no real success.

I've tried the usual stuff like ipconfig /release /renew /flushdns, clearing arpcache, factory reset on both modem and router, etc. Firmware is up to date, and there doesnt seem to be much I can change in the software at the modem's internal IP address (192.168.100.1). I've had some really weird issues with IPv6 in the past, so it's disabled, but I dont know if that's relevant. What else should I try?

Model: CM1000|DOCSIS® 3.1
Message 1 of 2
vkdelta
NETGEAR Expert

Re: CM1000 modem signal issues (cox)

you got lot of noise on your line.

you have millions of uncorrectables on few channels (6,7,8).

some of your channels are so bad that they are completely unlocked.

Please get cox to fix the line issues. 

Ideally uncorrectables need to be 0 or close to 0. Few hundreds wont hurt but large number like this is bad.  

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7