Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM1000v2 to Google Wifi on Comcast - cannot get it to work

RealEggboy
Tutor

CM1000v2 to Google Wifi on Comcast - cannot get it to work

Hello! I am trying to connect my new CM1000v2 to Google Wifi but it's not working. When I am in connect mode, my phone, running Google Home, fails to recognize the Google Wifi point.

Google support says Comcast needs to re-provision to enable cloud routers. Comcast, across 3 separate calls, cannot seem to do that.

So, I've struck out with Google support (2 calls/chat sessions) and Comcast support (3 calls/chat sessions).

Anyone have a similar issue that was resolved?

Thanks and help 🙂

Eugene

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: CM1000v2 to Google Wifi on Comcast - cannot get it to work

Did you power OFF both modem and host router for 1 minute, then back ON with the modem then with the host router? 

Try a different router with the CM modem?

Try swapping LAN cables between the modem and host router. CAT6 is recommended.

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Connect a wired PC to the modem with out the host router and see if the PC works. Power off the modem then back ON and test with the wired PC. 

Message 2 of 4
RealEggboy
Tutor

Hi, @FURRYe38  I repeated the process you suggested:

1. Completely disconnected the modem (power, coax, cat6 network cable)
  2. Got a cup of coffee (5 minutes)
  3. Replugged in the modem (coax>cat6>power)
  4. Powers up fine, and wired connection works fine (900+Mbps/17+Mbps)
  5. Also confirmed the modem is on the latest documented firmware: V7.01.01

When I then attempt to connect the main Google WiFi point and find the device with the Google Home app, it does not discover the main Wifi point.

1. Using a Pixel4a
  2. I've attempted this with all three points
  3. I've also repeated with Wife's phone, a Moto X4, same result.

I worked with two different Google peeps via chat, got two different suggestions after lots of resets of the Google WiFi points:

• Google Wifi points are fine
  • comcast needs to "provision the modem to be able to use cloud routers"; which puzzled two different Comcast service reps who say there is nothing they can do for a user-owned modem except 'turn it on'
  • they told me to call Netgear

Comcast did send out a tech this AM,

• who checked all the connections for cable, the signal going into the modem etc.
  • He also called another tech about the 'provision modem to work with cloud routers' ;  that experienced tech person repeated that Comcast does not have any setting like that that they can access
  • The splitter for cable TV>internet is an Extreme Broadband Engineer with two -3dB outputs

All the connections I've made are with the Google or Netgear-provided Cat6 cables.

So, I think I've eliminated:

• Phone not able to discover Google WiFi points - tested on two fairly recent android phones running Android 11 and the latest google app....both have wifi and bluetooth enabled and no crazy settings that looks like it might interfer with wifi point discover
  • Netgear modem works perfect for the wired connect - using the typical Google internet connection test, the observed speed is above the level of service I am paying for, and looks to be a little bit faster than the comcast gateway
  • When I have the Google Wifi point connected to the modem, and have also then connected the point to my computer, see the same speeds
  • Google WiFi point...tried all three, also did a factory reset on all three

So, something is preventing the Google Wifi from connecting with the Google Home app. Google feels it's the Netgear router.

I hate throwing in the towel and sending the Netgear modem back, and re-provisioning the comcast gateway (and try to connect Google Wifi to that...something I haven't tried yet)

And ideas on the next course of action? 😞

Model: CM1000-1AZNAS|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

The problem would be the Google router and wifi, not the modem. The modem would not prevent or cause wifi problems.

You'll need to refer to Googles support and information for help on there product. 

Try a different wifi router...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7