Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM400 not reaching it's specified max speed (not even close)!

pottermiguel
Follower

CM400 not reaching it's specified max speed (not even close)!

I have a CM400 modem, which has a specified max speed limit of 340Mbps and today my ISP (Xfinity) upgraded my plan to 600Mbps down, 20Mbps up, but I was surprised to see that the max download speed I could get was around 270Mbps.

Of course I knew I would never get the full 340Mbps download speed, but I expected to get at least 300Mbps and certainly not a max of only 270Mbps, so my question should be pretty obvious. Why am I unable to archive a higher download speed?

Note:

- I ran the speed test using several websites and several passes on each site not just one site or one location.

- I also I also used 2 different browsers with no extensions / addons installed on them.

- I have a pretty good system (8700K @ 4.8Ghz, 16Gb 3200Mhz Ram, Crucial 525GB M.2 NVME Drive, etc...) so there should not be any bottlenecks there.

- My firmware should be the latest version available, but my ISP would know more about that then I would.

- My network cables are all Cat6e so they should be able to handle the speed/load.

- I have a VPN, but I did not have it enabled during the test.

- I contacted my ISP to double check that my modem was provisioned with the new speeds, which was verified by the upload speed test showing the newly provisioned speed of 20+Mbps (prior to upgrade it was only 10Mbps).

- I connected the modem directly to the cable line coming out of my wall (i.e no splitters) to eliminate the possibility of a bad / low quality splitter getting in the way.

- I am sure I did some other sanity checks, but at 4am I kinda forget everything I tried, but I should have covered all of the basics.

Anyway, if anyone has any other suggestions (short of buying a new modem) I would be happy to hear them.

Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: CM400 not reaching it's specified max speed (not even close)!

Xfinity only rates the CM400 for 287mbps. And thats with perfect conditions running.

the up to rating that you see for most modems is the absolute max you can run with that unit depending on how the ISP provisions the device. Xfinity doesn't provision it for that so it won't get more than what you're getting. If you want faster speeds, you'll need a faster modem. 

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7