Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

CM500 Ethernet LED flashing red

Scarboni
Follower

CM500 Ethernet LED flashing red

I just bought a brandnew NETGEAR CM500 cable modem and the setup was pretty easy. I called Comcast and they had my Xfinity Blast package running pretty close to top speeds in minutes. When I had it connected via ethernet to my HP laptop the ethernet LED was green or flashing green. That said, as soon as I connected it to my NETGEAR R6100 wireless router, it began to flash non stop red. My wireless network is working, but I'm concerned that the CM500 ethernet LED is flashing red nonstop. Red usually = bad, but I haven't been able to find anything in the product user manual to indicate what flashing red means. NETGEAR has a description for green/flashing green and amber/flashing amber. I find the product documentation frustrating becuase it offers no description for a fashing red LED for the ethernet conection.

I've rebooted both the cable modem and the router several times. Verified that there are no IP conflicts or logs for packet loss. Everything looks pretty good, but the flashing LED continues until I eliminate the wireless router and connect the Ethernet cable to my laptop. Is this a bug with this cable modem and wireless router combination? Should I return the cable modem or is there something I can do to get this annoying red LED light to stop flashing?? OCD... I know, but I find this experience annoying.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: CM500 Ethernet LED flashing red

Hello Scarboni 

Yes usually a red light indicates a hardware issue in the equipment but you are saying everything is working just fine. It could just be a flaw in the LED you could contact netgear phone support if you want to have it checked and maybe swapped out if needed.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
Beachley
Initiate

Re: CM500 Ethernet LED flashing red

I found an answer in the PDF version of the manual online. The ethernet LED flashes amber when connected to a 10/100 speed device and is processing data (flashes green for a 1000 speed device). I had the same question as the OP - the modem is fine.

Ethernet • Green. A powered-on device is connected to the Ethernet port at 1000 Mbps. • Amber. A powered-on device is connected to the Ethernet port at 10/100 Mbps. • Blinking green or amber. The Ethernet port is processing traffic. • Off. No device is connected to the Ethernet port.

Model: CM500|16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7