Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot get passed "router unsupported" error message logging into router

jgmelott
Tutor

Cannot get passed "router unsupported" error message logging into router

I have a Nighthawk x6s ac3200 R8000 router and I made the mistake of doing a factory reset.  Now I cannot login to the router -- but I can see it and sometimes get internet access (like now).

Everytime I try logging in (correct password) - admin, I get the error message: "NETGEAR router not found or supported. Also make sure the router is not connected to the Guest network..."  -- I have made sure I'm not on guest.  Has anyone solved this issue?  I can't even get to the firmware upgrade screen.  I'm not a Network Engineer anymore, would certainly appreciate help to figure out a back door to login to this darn router.

Message 1 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Re: Cannot get passed "router unsupported" error message logging into router

What device are you using to log in?  Is it wired or wireless connected to the router?

How are you trying to log in?  Via browser or the Netgear Genie App?

If by browser, then are you using the IP address or routerlogin.com?

Message 2 of 5
jgmelott
Tutor

I am using a Surface Pro 4 to login to my router.  I have a wired (ethernet) connection.  I have tried BOTH ways -- using Chrome browser and Netgear Genie.  I can't get passed the error message that will allow me to get to router updates.   I have been using the 192.168.1.1 IP address.  

What am I missing?  Is there some way to get rid of the error message when trying to login with admin and password?

Message 3 of 5
TheEther
Guru

Your SP4 has a wired Ethernet connection to the router?

Anyway, I suggest you stick with using the browser. Make sure the Windows setting to make the PC discoverable is enabled. If you have any third-party antivirus/antimalware software (like Kaspersky, Norton, Symantec), then try temporarily disabling them.

Double check that 192.168.1.1 is really the router's IP address. Open a Command Prompt on the SP4 and type ipconfig /all. Look for the default gateway address for your network adapter.

You may even want to try disconnecting the router from the network and connecting just the SP4 to it. This should eliminate anything else that might be preventing you from logging into your router.
Message 4 of 5
jgmelott
Tutor

Thanks for the feedback.  Yes, my surface pro 4 has a USB to Ethernet adapter.  After doing a second factory reset, I was able to get back into my router.  Even have the latest firmware loaded.

all good now!  Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7