Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting google wifi to netgear C7100- Bridge mode vs DMZ ? Pros/Cons?

anilkaza
Aspirant

Connecting google wifi to netgear C7100- Bridge mode vs DMZ ? Pros/Cons?

All,

I bought a Netgear C7000 recently and want to connect the existing google wifi router to it. I understand I can use bridge mode or DMZ settings on the Netgear to establish connection to google wifi router. Can someone please list the pros and cons of each option? 

Thanks

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Connecting google wifi to netgear C7100- Bridge mode vs DMZ ? Pros/Cons?

Bridge mode on the 7000 means that all router and wifi functions get disabled. Thus only the modem is working. DMZ means that your 2ndary router gets unimpeded internet thru the modem/router, however this will be in a double NAT condition. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT. However using DMZ helps with this in most cases.

You could have two separate wifi networks if you kept the 7000 and 2ndary routers wifi going. It's perferred to use 1 signal wifi network for ease of use and troubleshooting. 

Message 2 of 4
anilkaza
Aspirant

Thank you for the quick response. I have 1 followup question. In order to get more wifi coverage, I see the following 2 options-

1. 2 separate wifi networks (one from C7000 and one from google wifi, connected DMZ)

2. Get a modem only. Get another google wifi and have 2 google wifis connected to the modem.

any idea which would a better option?

Thanks.

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep the C7000, bridge it for modem only and use the Google WiFi for you WiFi needs. Should something happen to the Google WiFi you could always covert the C7000 back to router mode and use its wifi. 

Message 4 of 4
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7