Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How old is my modem?

Kieferk
Aspirant

How old is my modem?

I have the box with all of the codes for my CM400 high speed cable modem and I am trying to determine how old it is.  I have searched on the Netgear website and on the internet and found nothing that can help me.  Trying to find out if it is time to replace my modem as I am losing internet access frequently.  It may be the IPS but I am trying to cover all my bases.  My router shows it is connected to WiFi but not to the internet sometimes.  The router is newer than my modem.  I'm thinking my modem may be old and in need of updating.  I also think it may be the modem because my Epson WF-3520 printer goes offline often and is not visible on the router map yet shows it has a WiFi connection.

Very frustrating and confusing.

Thanks in advance!

Model: CM400|DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: How old is my modem?

Based upon what you've described, I'd actually look to the router and not the modem. I'd check both but my experience would say look at the router.

1. What router are you using? Firmware on the router?

2. What fixes the problem? Rebooting modem or rebooting router?

3. Have you checked your modems connections through the webpage? It gives you a snap shot of connections to your ISP. Any issues here or can you post a picture of this page?

4. have you tried resetting your router and setting it back up from factory? 

5. repeating firmware. What version is it? is it up to date? If not update it over ethernet and then reset the router and see if that helps?

6. have you done any troubleshooting or what other details can you tell us? Like when 1 device goes down, do they all?

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Your modem debued circa 2014. 

Please provide the main host routers Mfr and model#...

@Kieferk wrote:

I have the box with all of the codes for my CM400 high speed cable modem and I am trying to determine how old it is.  I have searched on the Netgear website and on the internet and found nothing that can help me.  Trying to find out if it is time to replace my modem as I am losing internet access frequently.  It may be the IPS but I am trying to cover all my bases.  My router shows it is connected to WiFi but not to the internet sometimes.  The router is newer than my modem.  I'm thinking my modem may be old and in need of updating.  I also think it may be the modem because my Epson WF-3520 printer goes offline often and is not visible on the router map yet shows it has a WiFi connection.

Very frustrating and confusing.

Thanks in advance!

Message 3 of 6
Kieferk
Aspirant

My router is a Linksys MAX-STREAM AC2600 MU-MIMO gigabit router 2.6 Gbps/ dual band.

I don't know what the firmware is or what is involved with that. (sorry-not tech savy)

When I tried checking the modem connection through the webpage by typing in the http:// number, it would never connect and timed out stating the site couldn't be reached.

Most of the time the internet will re-connect on its own but sometimes I have to turn off the modem and restart it to get internet access. Every once in awhile I will have to reset both the modem and the router.

The printer is the biggest issue - it will work fine and then all of a suddent it will show it is offline. Troubleshooting states the device is working but the message window will show it is not connected to the network or is offline. All other devices and computers, etc. will show connection to the internet and work but the printer will be down.  Additionally, the Amazon echo devices will have internet interruptions but not as often.

I'm trying to figure this out for two reasons: 

I would like to cut the cord and only stream TV and I need a good internet connection to do so, and secondly, I need my printer to be reliable.  I tried everything to figure out why it wouldn't print.  Changed the port, then switched back to WPN and entered the code, used the set up wizard on the printer in conjuction with the Linksys Smart Wi-Fi to recognize it.  It woudn't work.......then all of a sudden when I had moved on to something else because I was frustrated, I hear the printer go off and it printed my test document from about 40 minutes prior????

I have a brand new printer in the box because I needed the printer to work. This was my last ditch effort before setting up a new printer.  I would hate to set up a new printer if the real issue is with the modem.

Model: CM400|DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
Message 4 of 6
plemans
Guru

If you're printing from a computer directly to a local printer, it shouldn't even be going through the modem. It should be routed directly from computer to printer. Not necessarily true if you're going off the cloud print setup.

have you set your printer with a static IP?  This is what I'd try first

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

here's the product page for your model. it has user guide (will tell you how to update firmware) and download page for the firmware. 

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-product?pid=01t80000003ouh0AAA

Ready about that router, there has been quite a few issues with dropped connections. here's on thread that is 7 pages long you can read through for that specific models tips. Most of these advanced routers all have some issues that need worked through. worth checking into.

https://community.linksys.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/EA8500-keeps-dropping-connections/td-p/1123760

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7