Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to set up Modem CM1000 with xfinity with a Macbook without ethernet?

MH20
Initiate

How to set up Modem CM1000 with xfinity with a Macbook without ethernet?

Contemplating purchase of netgear CM1000 modem to use with a netgear wifi router connecting wirelessly to my MacBook WITHOUT ETHERNET. The CM1000 instructions say to connect computer to modem with ethernet to set up. How can I set up the Cable Modem CM1000 with xfinity wihtout ethernet on my MacBook? Thank you for help!

Model: CM1000|Ultra-High Speed Cable Modem—DOCSIS® 3.1 Ready
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to set up Modem CM1000 with xfinity with a Macbook without ethernet?

How about get a USB to ethernet adapter for your mac book. I did the same thing for my MBP 2018. They work well. 

You can try to connect a wifi router to the CM1000 as well to see if you can access 192.168.100.1 thru the router. Please contact the ISP as well to have them help you get the modem connected to there services. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

How about get a USB to ethernet adapter for your mac book. I did the same thing for my MBP 2018. They work well. 

You can try to connect a wifi router to the CM1000 as well to see if you can access 192.168.100.1 thru the router. Please contact the ISP as well to have them help you get the modem connected to there services. 

Message 2 of 4
MH20
Initiate

Thank you FURRYe38. I didn't realize USB to ethernet adapters were so inexpensive. That's probably the best solution. I was hoping to hear that you could just ethernet the router into the modem and restart it (which I've had success doing) but it sounds like that is not a guarantee. All the netgear MODEM ONLY options instruct to ethernet a pc to it to install/activate. Thanks again!

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Most wifi routers should connect to the modem if you have the PC wired to the router. If the router and modem connect to each other, the wired PC could access the modems web page at 192.168.100.1.

Try getting an adapter or find someone with a laptop that has a ethernet port that you could borrow. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7