Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Intermittent connection problems

maccola
Follower

Intermittent connection problems

I am looking for help diagnosing intermittent connectivity issues with my CM1000 modem.  I am not sure what clues I should be looking for and I have not been able to detect any patterns to indicate cause.  Let me offer some details…

I am an Xfinity customer in my home, and I have been using a Netgear CM1000 modem for around 6 months.  Everything worked great for the first 5 months.  However, the last month I have been getting hit with maddening intermittent connection problems.  I lose all internet connectivity and cannot ping anything on the internet for short periods of time.  These issues usually just last a minute or two, but sometimes as long as 5 minutes.  Network connectivity eventually comes back without any intervention from me.  Some days I have no connectivity issues, other days it happens several times (usually in the most in-opportune times!).  I have not noticed any change in the modem lights when this occurs.  When I call Xfinity/Comcast support their only suggestion is to reboot the modem.  That usually causes the connection to be restored, but I don’t think that is really fixing anything – like I said the connection issues usually only last a minute or two anyways.

The agent I talked to at Comcast said she cannot see anything else on her end.  Since I own my own modem, she stated it will likely cost me money to have a tech come out and look at it.  Before I break down and have someone come out, I wanted to search for some evidence that is or is not a modem problem.  I’m not against buying a new modem either, but am going to be frustrated if I have the same problems.

This behavior occurs on multiple computers - both wireless and wired – which leads me to believe it is a network issue.  I swapped out my router for a few days just to see if it was possibly a router issue.  The same issues occurred with the replacement router, so I think I can rule that out as well. 

I did chat with my good friend Google a bit and learned to check the power levels.  The power levels seem ok as they fall between the -7 to 7 range for downstream and 38-48 for upstream.

I haven’t touched any cables lately, but did double check the cables I had access to to make sure they were connected tightly. 

My Hardware version is 2.02 and firmware version is V3.01.04.  I understand that Xfinifity/Comcast controls pushing out the firmware updates so there is not much I can really do about adjusting firmware.

I do have an older (slower) modem I suppose I could go back to for a while and see if I have problems with that.

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated.

Model: CM1000|DOCSIS® 3.1
Message 1 of 2
Smiley3303
Star

Re: Intermittent connection problems

I am having the same issue and I have Midco. I don’t think it is Midco though I think it is the modem.
Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7