Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

N300 C3000 for Mac. Can't log in to modem router

cardinal85
Aspirant

N300 C3000 for Mac. Can't log in to modem router

My iPhone is telling me that my network security is weak and that I need to upgrade my security to WPA2(AES) from WPA-PSK [TKIP} + WPA2-PSK [AES] but I can't log in to the modem router. I went through the Guided Assistance process at the Netgear web site and I have tried http://routerlogin.net and http://192.168.0.1 in addition to the router number in my computer Wi-Fi settings. Every time I get the message "You may not be connected to your Router’s WiFi network. To access routerlogin.com, your device must be connected to your Router’s WiFi network". I've tried both wireless and ethernet in both Safari and Firefox. I am using a 10-year-old MacBook Pro but have the same results with my 2019 MacBook Pro. I notice that neither of the top two buttons on the modem router (WPS button or WiFi On/Off button are lit and pressing them each for up to 15 seconds didn't activate them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Model: C3000|N300 Cable Gateway Docsis 3.0
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: N300 C3000 for Mac. Can't log in to modem router

@cardinal85 wrote:

Thank you for all your assistance up to this point. This morning I was able to log into the router and change to a secure password. I also was able to upgrade the security to WPA2-PSK (AES) and I chose "apply". I then disabled the Netgear router because my AirPort base station already has a router. Now in Netgear Genie I no longer see the "Wireless" option to check the level of security. Does this mean the WPA2 security is disabled if the Netgear router is disabled? I would appreciate your advice. Thanks very much.

If you disabled the "router" portion of the C3000, then its your airports wireless that is having the wireless security issue because the wireless is disabled on the C3000. When router mode is disabled, it functions only as a modem. 

View solution in original post

Message 13 of 16

All Replies
plemans
Guru

try using 192.168.100.1

Message 2 of 16
cardinal85
Aspirant

It appears that I am connected into Netgear Genie which shows that the my cable connection is good but my wireless connection is OFF. Please advise how to turn it on. Thanks very much.

Message 3 of 16
plemans
Guru

Do you have router mode disabled? Maybe you disabled router mode.

https://kb.netgear.com/27191/How-to-set-the-cable-modem-router-to-be-on-modem-only

Also, did the wifi on/off button get pushed? Push and hold for 2 seconds. 

Message 4 of 16
cardinal85
Aspirant

Unbelievably my AirPort Express started blinking yellow and no cable connection just when I was changing my password. “Apply” button won’t respond. If I wait for cable to come back on and click Apply will Netgear genie accept my info? Thanks so much.
Message 5 of 16
cardinal85
Aspirant

Thank you for all your help up to this point. I was able to activate the router which was indeed disabled. Also I was able to turn on the wifi on/off button after that. Ever since this morning when I accessed Netgear genie to change my password, the light on my Airport express box has been blinking yellow despite many reboots. Xfinity ran diagnostics on my modem and rebooted the gateway and my internet is working but the light on the Airport Express box won't turn green. Also at the Netgear genie screen I typed in a new password and answered the security questions but the "Apply" button isn't "live" and won't submit my changes. Is any/alll of this related? I've never had the yellow light blinking so long. Finally, the ethernet light (2nd from the bottom) on the the modem is green and not the USB (bottom) light. No ethernet cable is connected and my computer network settings show that WiFi is connected but not ethernet. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Message 6 of 16
plemans
Guru

so the internet is working? 

Not sure what this yellow light is on your airport but you'd be better to ask apple about that specific device. 

Other than the airport, do you have any other hardwired devices? 

Message 7 of 16
cardinal85
Aspirant

Internet is working. Ran the AirPort Utility and discovered that the yellow light is blinking because of a Double NAT error of the two routers attempting to provide NAT  services in the same network space. I mentioned in my previous post that the yellow light started at the same time I activated the Netgear router. A Cnet article suggested making the modem/router a bridge (turn off NAT services), and letting the AirPort Base Station perform the connection sharing/NAT duties. Is that possible? 

Before I can accomplish this I need to complete changing my password at the Netgear genie screen. This morning I typed in a new password and answered the security questions but the "Apply" button isn't "live" and won't submit my changes to proceed with the login process. Do I reload the page and if do what will happen to all my new password and security questions info? I would greatly appreciate your advise on getting past this glitch. Until I'm able to login I can't change the security setting to WPA2 which is what started this all this morning.Thanks very much.

Message 8 of 16
plemans
Guru

@cardinal85 wrote:

Internet is working. Ran the AirPort Utility and discovered that the yellow light is blinking because of a Double NAT error of the two routers attempting to provide NAT  services in the same network space. I mentioned in my previous post that the yellow light started at the same time I activated the Netgear router. A Cnet article suggested making the modem/router a bridge (turn off NAT services), and letting the AirPort Base Station perform the connection sharing/NAT duties. Is that possible? ---If the airport has its own routing functions, that'd be an option. It'd put you back where you were at the start. or you can put the airport in access point mode. In modem only mode, the netgear wont' have any wifi. its a modem only in that mode. 

Before I can accomplish this I need to complete changing my password at the Netgear genie screen. This morning I typed in a new password and answered the security questions but the "Apply" button isn't "live" and won't submit my changes to proceed with the login process. Do I reload the page and if do what will happen to all my new password and security questions info?---try using a different browswer. or computer. I would greatly appreciate your advise on getting past this glitch. Until I'm able to login I can't change the security setting to WPA2 which is what started this all this morning.Thanks very much.

Message 9 of 16
cardinal85
Aspirant

Thank you very much for all your help today. I will try your suggestions.

Message 10 of 16
cardinal85
Aspirant

Thank you for all your assistance up to this point. This morning I was able to log into the router and change to a secure password. I also was able to upgrade the security to WPA2-PSK (AES) and I chose "apply". I then disabled the Netgear router because my AirPort base station already has a router. Now in Netgear Genie I no longer see the "Wireless" option to check the level of security. Does this mean the WPA2 security is disabled if the Netgear router is disabled? I would appreciate your advice. Thanks very much.

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

The only reason why iPhone is letting you know that there maybe a security risk is that APPLE in there infinate wisedom has put in there newer iOS security detection routine that seems to detect routers using both TPIK and AES protocols. Though the phone is actually using AES, the IOS is detecting that the router is "also" using TPIK which was supported in mixed modes. Appearently APPLE doesn't approved of there devices noticing TPIK though both TPIK, AES and now WPA3-SAE have been already compromised. 

One should be able to factory reset the C3000, log in with a wired PC at routerlogin.com or 192.168.0.1 or .1.1 with a web browser and setup the modem from scratch then set WPA2 and AES "only" and this should top the iOS notifications about this. 

NG is not the only modem/router mfr to see this issue coming from Apple. 

Message 12 of 16
plemans
Guru

@cardinal85 wrote:

If you disabled the "router" portion of the C3000, then its your airports wireless that is having the wireless security issue because the wireless is disabled on the C3000. When router mode is disabled, it functions only as a modem. 

Message 13 of 16
cardinal85
Aspirant

Thanks very much for explaining things. Just one more questions. In Netgear genie is normal for the login screen to say that my password will be sent unencrypted?

Message 14 of 16
plemans
Guru

Usually because you're logging in through your local network and not through an internet connection

Message 15 of 16
cardinal85
Aspirant

Thanks very much.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements