Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Netgear CM1200, No IP address gaming console or router

Bay_Area650
Tutor

Netgear CM1200, No IP address gaming console or router

Please help, I purchased the Netgear CM1200 to hard wire my computer, PS4 and smart TV, set Up is successful through desktop and IP address is acquired at desktop, but when connecting a smart tv, gaming console, or even a router, the modem will not provide an IP address, IP address acquiring times out and fails on the devices, a have tried 2 different CM1200 thinking the first one was defective, what can be causing this??
Model: CM1200|Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you using the LAN ports in back for your other LAN devices. If so, then this will not work. The other LAN ports are meant for LAG or business class static IP addressing configurations for use with external routers connected. For home use, you need a wifi router connected to LAN port 1. All the other ports are disabled. 

Message 2 of 20
Bay_Area650
Tutor

Yes, i am using the Lan Ports on the devices connected to the CM1200 Modem, if what you are saying is True, then i do not see how my Desktop being in port 1 and laptop being in port 3 both have internet, and acquired IP addresses. But thank you for the feed back
Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Any any rate, you need a main host router connected to the CM modem, then you'll have full access and be able to connect many devices to the router. The modem is just an interface device between the ISP service and your router that you connect devices too. The CM1200 is a nice modem. If you fully wanted to take advantage of the modem, you could get a R7960P router from NetGear and enable Link Aggregation on both the CM1200 and R7960P for some good bandwith capabilities. This works well as I tested this out for NG. 

Message 4 of 20
Bay_Area650
Tutor

Ok, Netgear needs to clarify this on their description of the device, it is advertised as being to have multiple devices connected, and LAG working on port 1 and 2 only, and supporting 4 different ISP's by having a business account, also i did attempt to set up NETGEAR - Nighthawk X6 AC3200 to it since i bought them together and was not going to use LAG, but also failed to provide an IP address to the Router, and confirmed the router is good by setting it up to a CM1000. But thanks for the replies
Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

ALL CM modems are not routers. Just modems only. So you need a router behind the CM modem. The X6 router should work behind the 1200. Ensure you power OFF the CM and R series router at the same time then power ON the CM modem first, then the R series router. It should get a IP address. Ensure your using good quality LAN cabling between them. CAT  is recommended. Disable any LAG on the 1200 prior to connecting the R series router to the 1200. 

Good Luck. 

Message 6 of 20
Themarkofj
Aspirant

hey netgear i have purchase  the cable modem netgear  cm1200 i try to connect my netgear xr500 from cable modem lan port 1 2 3 4 which  lan  port is link aggregation!?  which port on the netgear cm1200. i use to connect my netgear router xr500 to get internet access  cause when i connect the modem and router my netgear xr500 router the internet port from the router is orange/red light and other light are soild white having issue getting it online when i turn off the modem and router i get all soild white light on the router then goes back orange/red light on the internet port netgear xr500! ; link aggregtion is disabled by default on the cm1200 modem so im not sure what the problem! 

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

LAN port #1. 

Besure to power OFF both CM and XR units for 1 minute. Then power ON the CM modem and let it sync. Then power ON the XR router. XR router WAN led should blink amber then white after getting connected. 

Try a factory reset on the XR router and walk thru the setup wizard while it's connected to the CM modem. 

Ensure your using good quality CAT6 lan cabling between the modem and router. 

@Themarkofj wrote:

hey netgear i have purchase  the cable modem netgear  cm1200 i try to connect my netgear xr500 from cable modem lan port 1 2 3 4 which  lan  port is link aggregation!?  which port on the netgear cm1200. i use to connect my netgear router xr500 to get internet access  cause when i connect the modem and router my netgear xr500 router the internet port from the router is orange/red light and other light are soild white having issue getting it online when i turn off the modem and router i get all soild white light on the router then goes back orange/red light on the internet port netgear xr500! ; link aggregtion is disabled by default on the cm1200 modem so im not sure what the problem! 

Message 8 of 20
Themarkofj
Aspirant

!cheers it work my isp had issue with ip address invalid and boot confile file 

Message 9 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad is fixed. Enjoy now. Smiley Wink

@Themarkofj wrote:

!cheers it work my isp had issue with ip address invalid and boot confile file 

Message 10 of 20
jableux
Initiate

@Bay_Area650 wrote:
Ok, Netgear needs to clarify this on their description of the device, it is advertised as being to have multiple devices connected, and LAG working on port 1 and 2 only, and supporting 4 different ISP's by having a business account, also i did attempt to set up NETGEAR - Nighthawk X6 AC3200 to it since i bought them together and was not going to use LAG, but also failed to provide an IP address to the Router, and confirmed the router is good by setting it up to a CM1000. But thanks for the replies

I very much agree with this. The language on the data sheet for the CM1200 reads "4 Gigabit ports to connect more wired devices" and then goes on only to detail LAG in multiple places. There's no indication for how else these ports are to be used or clarification that these are in fact not supposed to be directly connected to other devices. 

For reference, I'm using the CM1200 with a Google/TP-Link OnHub (only one LAN port) and a TP-Link 8-port switch for PC, Nvidia Shield TV, and Philips Hue Hub. I was very much hoping to eliminate the switch from the setup, but based on the information provided here (and not directly from Netgear), it sounds like that's not possible with the CM1200. 

Message 11 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Unless you have multiple static IPs from your ISP, then the CM1200 needs a external router behind it, connecting to only 1 of the LAN ports on the 1200 modem and then connect your devices to the router. The switch can be used behind the router as well. This is standard for network HW configurations. Or if you have a router that supports LAG on the WAN side like the R7960P does, then you could enable LAG on the CM1200 and R7960P and enjoy the features of LAG between the both of them. 

@jableux wrote:

@Bay_Area650 wrote:

I very much agree with this. The language on the data sheet for the CM1200 reads "4 Gigabit ports to connect more wired devices" and then goes on only to detail LAG in multiple places. There's no indication for how else these ports are to be used or clarification that these are in fact not supposed to be directly connected to other devices. 

For reference, I'm using the CM1200 with a Google/TP-Link OnHub (only one LAN port) and a TP-Link 8-port switch for PC, Nvidia Shield TV, and Philips Hue Hub. I was very much hoping to eliminate the switch from the setup, but based on the information provided here (and not directly from Netgear), it sounds like that's not possible with the CM1200. 

Message 12 of 20
rams01
Initiate

@jableux wrote:

@Bay_Area650 wrote:

Wow, this sucks but makes sense. I only spent $200 for the CM1200 under the impression it could assign IPs to all 4 ports. In my mind the public IP hits my modem and from that point can assign private IPs to the router (linksys velop) and my hardwired PC. The packaging and over confident best buy employee made me think this was easily doable. Guess I'll return this high priced item and buy a cheap modem since I can't get speeds over 200mbps anyway

Message 13 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

The 1200 can assign WAN IPs on all ports. It has to be from the ISP and you have to have them give you multiple IPs on the wan side. The CM is just that, a modem only. It has no router fuction. The CM modem only passes thru WAN or Public IP addresses from the ISP only. There is no NAT or router built in here. For any home user or business user, there is external router required if your going to provice internet services to more than one device. Even if the modem is setup to pass thru WAN IPs over its 4 ports, there IPs will be different and there would need to be a router attached to each port so as to route traffic to there configured devices or services after the router. 

I agree that the marketing and packaging of these modems should state more clearly and retailers and sales people need to be more understanding and upfront about these modems. I think the working and understanding of how these modems have been taking out of context and confused. Sales people are trying to make a sale and don't want to steer a customer away from a sale. I have a feeling that sales people don't relize  exactly how these modems work, that this modem needs a router behind it regardless. 

The CM1100/1200 work well as a home class modem and with a external router. Ive enjoyed both of mine. 

Good Luck in your endeavours. 

Message 14 of 20
rams01
Initiate

Actually on second thought I’ll just keep it since realistically everything else has an intel chipset except the 1000-1200 series which have the broadcom. I was using a CM700 and R7000P but started seeing signal issues on the CM700 and experiencing channel hopping and eventually spectrum said to fox the upstream i had to add a splitter... But with the more powerful 1200 modem my db and svr downstream are -9 and 36-41 respectively with my upstream channels all reading above the acceptable thresholds. Worth the investment to not need a splitter.
Message 15 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, the 1000 thru 1200 model series are worth keeping since they are Broadcom based. I presume you do know about the Intel base modems and there known issues then.

http://www.badmodems.com

Yes be sure there are no line splitters inbetween the ISP service box and modem. You'll be fine there. Just connect up a router to Port #1 and you'll be good. If you connect a router that supports Link Aggregation on is't WAN side, then you can enable LAG on the modem as awell then use Ports #1 and #2 for that. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@rams01 wrote:
Actually on second thought I’ll just keep it since realistically everything else has an intel chipset except the 1000-1200 series which have the broadcom. I was using a CM700 and R7000P but started seeing signal issues on the CM700 and experiencing channel hopping and eventually spectrum said to fox the upstream i had to add a splitter... But with the more powerful 1200 modem my db and svr downstream are -9 and 36-41 respectively with my upstream channels all reading above the acceptable thresholds. Worth the investment to not need a splitter.

Message 16 of 20
WOLFY1959
Aspirant

I also just bought the CM1200 not realizing that I could not use

2 routers ( Nighthawk R7000 & Asus Cellspot ) on this Modem

connected to 2 different ports.(Unfogivable not to mention that upfront, btw)

I do have an 8-Port Gigabit Switch ( I beleive and unmanaged one ),

would that work? Or a hub?

Both routers hooked up to the Switch/Hub to ethernet connection 1?

Thanks.

Jim

Message 17 of 20
WOLFY1959
Aspirant

I should also mention that I do not

want to set up either router as a repeater.

One router is in the basement, the other

upstairs both set up seperately.

Thanks

Message 18 of 20
antinode
Guru

> [...] (Unfogivable not to mention that upfront, btw) [...]

Along the same line, advertising for most automobile models fails to
mention that there's only one driver's seat, steering wheel, instrument
panel, and so on.

Visit http://netgear.com/support , put in your model number, and look
for Documentation.  Get the User Manual.  Look for "LAN ports".

Is this a new installation/configuration, or was this stuff
previously working in some way with some other modem, or what?

> I do have an 8-Port Gigabit Switch ( I beleive and unmanaged one ),
> would that work? Or a hub?

"work" as what?  Connected how?  Connecting it to a LAN port on the
CM1200 would be a mistake.

> Both routers hooked up to the Switch/Hub to ethernet connection 1?

If that means what I think it might mean, then no.

General advice: An Ethernet cable has two ends, so specify where both
go.  Also, if a device has different types of Ethernet ports, then
"connected to device" is not enough detail.

> [...] I do not want to set up either router as a repeater. [...]

What, exactly, does "as a repeater" mean to you?

Almost certainly, your (unspecified) ISP is providing you with one
external/public IP address, so, if you want to connect multiple devices
to the Internet, then the only thing which you should connect to your
modem would be a (one) NAT router; all your other devices should be
connected to the LAN ports of that router.  (Those ports are really
parts of a small network switch, hidden inside the router).  You _can_
connect a (another) network switch to any of those LAN ports.

> One router is in the basement, the other upstairs both set up
> seperately.

What, exactly, does "set up seperately" mean to you?  Both configured
as full-function routers?  Which one is where?  Where's the modem?

What's the purpose of the second router?  If it's to extend your
wireless-network coverage, then you might get more satisfactory results
if you configured the further-from-modem router as a wireless access
point, instead of as a full-function router.  Look in the R7000 User
Manual for "Use the Router as a Wireless Access Point".  (Details might
differ if you want to use the R7000 as your main (only) router, but the
picture in the R7000 manual is good.)

Also, starting your own thread for your own problem is usually more
helpful than extending some months-old thread with different details.
You can always include links to any old threads which you think might
be useful.

Message 19 of 20
WOLFY1959
Aspirant

"Along the same line, advertising for most automobile models fails to
mention that there's only one driver's seat, steering wheel, instrument
panel, and so on."
 Most people may not be tech-savy enough to know, that when the

info for this item says "4 Gigabit Ethernet Ports to connect more

wired devices" That because it doesn't have a built in router that

the said ports can only be used under certain circumstances.

But hey, I appreciate the sarcasm.

Message 20 of 20
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7