Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice (CM1150V) MoCA?

ramjr2020
Tutor

Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice (CM1150V) MoCA?

A simple question, but I can't find an answer.  Does this modem support MoCA?

If not, if I set up MoCA adapters, will it work?  I understand that MoCA 2.5 and DOCSIS 3.1 may have problems with overlapping frequencies, but I'm fine with MoCA 2.0, if needed.

Thanks.

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

No it doesn't. 

If you're adding moca adapters they need to be setup off the router. 

so CM1150v-----router-----moca adapters

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Check the sped data sheet to see if MoCa is listed in the specs section, if you don't see it there, I presume the modem may not support it. 

Message 2 of 10
plemans
Guru

No it doesn't. 

If you're adding moca adapters they need to be setup off the router. 

so CM1150v-----router-----moca adapters

Message 3 of 10
ramjr2020
Tutor

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.  The problem, not clearly stated, my apologies, is that the technical specs said nothing, and I wanted to be sure it was not just missing by accident 😉

And with the second response confirming your position, I can move forward with my hardware requirements.

Message 4 of 10
ramjr2020
Tutor

Could you explain why the moca needs to connect to the router?  In particular, my plan was a wireless AP connected to one of the modem's RJ45 posts, one for moca, and one to a switch.  The fourth could be a spare or directly connected to a desktop.

With no router, should I connect the moca to the switch instead?

Thanks.

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

Sure. The CM1150v is basically a modem without a router. your isp assigns 1 public ip address to your account through the modem. That is whats provided to the router which then assigns private ip addresses to the devices on the network.
You can go modem-----moca-----moca----router since in effect its passing that 1 address to the router. But if you're trying to attach multiple devices without a router, only 1 device will get an ip address.

The extra ethernet ports on the CM1150v aren't well educated to the public for them. Both on netgear and the ISP's side.
For the average consumer, they're worthless. Some can use port 1-2 for wan port aggregation. The rest can only be used if the isp supplies multiple public IP addresses which the majority of isp's don't do.
Message 6 of 10
ramjr2020
Tutor

Thanks.  Based on this, I will need a "router", not a "switch", to connect to the modem?

And all my devices will need to connect to the router:

modem -> router1 -> wireless AP

2 -> moca

3 -> other (switch, computer, printer, etc, dependent on number of ports on the router.)

etc.

The plan was to have a wireless AP connected using PoE, to a switch providing PoE, so I could easily run a line to a central location in the house for the wireless (modem is in the east end of the house).  The above would have to modify a bit:

modem -> router1 -> PoE switch -> wireless AP

router2 and etc. as above.

Any thoughts on what the "router" should be?

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

Do you need the PoE switch? there'a  bit expensive. Buy the time you buy the switch, router, ap, and moca adapters you're quite invested in the setup. 

Ever looked into netgear Orbi? They can run with wired or wireless backhaul

Message 8 of 10
ramjr2020
Tutor

I have not looked at that solution yet.

I'm working on understanding as much of the different options I have, so I can compare them.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 10
Placesandspaces
Apprentice

I use MOCA with the RAX 120 and it works great. Setup is wall outlet>MOCA adapter>modem> Ethernet from adapter>WAN of RAX120. Getting wired speeds in every room that has a MOCA adapter in it. Much more stable than Orbi backhaul. I have the Orbi AX 6000 and have it connected to the LAN of the RAX in router mode not AP and no conflicts or double nats etc. MOCA stabilized my network no doubt.
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7