Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Nighthawk x10 R9000 or XR700 + modem help

AntContreras
Aspirant

Nighthawk x10 R9000 or XR700 + modem help

Hi all , I had a couple questions regarding routers and modems and best options for gaming and streaming.

I currently have the option of selecting between the NightHawk Pro Gaming XR700 and the Nighthawk X10 R9000. And I am honestly unsure on a modem.

My house is about 1200 sq ft. and our internet service provider is xfinity... I’ll be wired for gaming but WiFi for everything else. We also have 3 nest cameras on the WiFi as well.

So I’m wondering which router would work out best and if you can give me any suggestions on a compatible modem? I’m currently using the one the cable company provides (2 in 1 router modem combo).

Also what would the ideal setup be for either of the routers and modem? I don’t really understand the many different ports but I just know I need a way better setup.

Thanks a bunch in advance
Model: R9000|Nighthawk X10 AD7200 Smart WiFi Router, XR700|Nighthawk Pro Gaming Router
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Nighthawk x10 R9000 or XR700 + modem help

Any chance your ISP officially supports a CM1100 or CM1200 cable modem. If your ISP is cable. 

I personally was not impressed with either R9000 or XR700. Both are wireless AD supporting which hasn't seemed to really taken off or seen much support in the client HW side of things. AX seems to be getting more traction and getting more support. I would not recommend spending money on wifi features that don't seem to have a wide support range.

Seen various issues from users with the R9000 and XR700. I would highly recommend reviewing forums for these two router models before you buy. There is a netduma forum as well for the XR700 on there site. They also help support the XR300, 450 and 500 routers. NG forum is also here this site as well. 

I have the XR450 and have been enjoying it greatly. HeartThought I have it's wifi radios disabled and use Orbi MESH wifi system for my wifi. If you think AX is more in your direction, you might give NG's RAX series of routers a try, or ASUS AX-11000 router a demo. I enjoy mine. Smiley Wink

@AntContreras wrote:
Hi all , I had a couple questions regarding routers and modems and best options for gaming and streaming.

I currently have the option of selecting between the NightHawk Pro Gaming XR700 and the Nighthawk X10 R9000. And I am honestly unsure on a modem.

My house is about 1200 sq ft. and our internet service provider is xfinity... I’ll be wired for gaming but WiFi for everything else. We also have 3 nest cameras on the WiFi as well.

So I’m wondering which router would work out best and if you can give me any suggestions on a compatible modem? I’m currently using the one the cable company provides (2 in 1 router modem combo).

Also what would the ideal setup be for either of the routers and modem? I don’t really understand the many different ports but I just know I need a way better setup.

Thanks a bunch in advance

Message 2 of 8
AntContreras
Aspirant

Hi thanks for the reply. I have xfinity from Comcast and after looking it up, it looks like they do support both of those modems you mentioned. Do you recommend them?

As far as the routers I’m not really too sure what the difference is between AD and AX.. I honestly don’t know a thing about internet routers or modems lol :/.... I guess I just figured I’ll look up the best routers for gaming and streaming and the two I questioned about both kept coming up. I just know I really need to upgrade and finally get rid of the modem router I’ve been renting from Comcast for wayyyyy tooo long. If you don’t mind explaining to me the difference between the AD and AX and how they might benefit that’d be awesome. Sorry I’m just really confused lol.

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

I have both modems. CM1100 is currently online. I have two routers connected to the CM1100 getting two different IPs from my ISP. Sharing my 1Gb ISP service. I would recommend them. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ax

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-features/33209-5-things-to-know-before-you-buy-a-d...

AX seems to becoming more and more popular and the new wifi standard. It's draft standard is supposed to be finalized this year. 

Message 4 of 8
AntContreras
Aspirant

That gives me a somewhat better understanding. I still am pretty confused however. So basically the two routers I mentioned probably won’t do me any good or any better than what you’ve mentioned? The reason I ask is because I can get either the x10 or xr700 for $90...

I honestly just need someone like yourself who is savvy with all this networking to just tell me exactly what to do and get lol. My download speeds are 400 + mbps and I forget the upload. House is roughly 1200 sq ft, 3 bedroom and a detached garage that’s turned into a room as well. I honestly just need really good Wi-Fi (mine is decent right now) especially since my outside cameras run off it and we stream a lot. And as far as gaming, I’m tired of all the latency , slow loading and lag. So Xbox will be wired (main gaming system) and some other mobile / console gaming will be on WiFi at times.
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct. It's the WiFi AD on these two routers that are not going to be beneficial to you. Getting something with either WiFi AC or AX would be best. 

Message 6 of 8
AntContreras
Aspirant

Ok thanks for the info. After looking up info on the AX , I saw that it uses WiFi 6, how will this effect my older devices such as phones a consoles if they don’t support It? Or how does that work?

Also if i do decide on the AX or another type of router, would recommend also using a mesh WiFi system? What are thoughts on that, or when would you think one would be needed? If you do recommend it , which model / brand would you think would be ideal and the best way to utilize, like which rooms / set up and such?

Thanks again for your help and your time, I appreciate it.
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

AX is just one more wifi mode addition to a wifi router. Historically, routers started with modes A then added B, then G and N then AC. AX is next and has been added to this line up. Your older devices should not be effected. Some routers like the Orbi 853 have the ability to disable AX mode if it's not needed, leaving the prior modes active. 

I have been enjoying the Orbi AX system thought NG is still working out some bugs. So it's still maturing. I might avoid the AX Orbi right now. I do enjoy the Orbi RBK50 series mesh system. Not AX supporting however does really well and most users are very happen with it. The size of your home kind of dictates how many additional extender satellites you need. My 5000 sq ft home works well with just 1 satellite connected to the main host router. 

It does pretty good for gaming as well. I have two xbox consoles and gaming is good. The 50 series Orbi supports having two game consoles online at the same time playing the same get and getting OPEN NAT. Unfortunately my Orbi RBK853 AX system has a bug that I'm waiting on NG to fix for this. Smiley Frustrated So the Orbi AX runs in AP mode behind my XR450 gaming router. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7