Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch not splitting Xfinity home internet successfully via Netgear Nighthawk and switch

btm215
Aspirant

Switch not splitting Xfinity home internet successfully via Netgear Nighthawk and switch

Hello,

I've been struggling to hardwire my home with Ethernet via Netgear switches and have not been able to resolve issue after several different attempts.

I have Blast! Internet service from Xfinity bundled with digital voice.

I first purchased an unmanaged switch but found that it could not successfully assign multiple IP addressed to different devices so I purchased the GS116E hoping to would be plug and play as stated.   It appears I'm having the same issue.

I am aware xfinity home service will, by default, assign 1 IP address to the first device it picks up, which it successfully does to my wifi currently and also will do to other devices if I plug them directly to modem and reset the modem.   

How can I successfully split my xfinity via a switch to several different devices (laptops, apple devices etc).    

I would so appreciate help on this as I am eager to eliminate wifi and just be hardwired for more reliable service.

Thank you!
B

Model: CM1150V|DOCSIS 3.1 Nighthawk® Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem for XFINITY® Voice, GS116E|ProSafe Plus 16 ports gigabit switch
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Switch not splitting Xfinity home internet successfully via Netgear Nighthawk and switch

So do you have the CM1150v cable modem? If so, you need to understand that this modem is a modem only, there is NO built in router in this modem. This modem only passes thru 1 IP address from the ISP and a wifi router or NAT router needs to be connected to the back of the CM modem to provide internet access to multiple devices behind the router. A router is required to be connected to be able to connect multiple devices to the internet. 

Please review the user manual and installation guide on how to connect a router to the modem. 

Message 2 of 15
btm215
Aspirant

Re: Switch not splitting Xfinity home internet successfully via Netgear Nighthawk and switch

Yes I have CM1150v and I know it's not a router, which is why I bought the switch.   The switch is a router right?   I followed instructions of the switch and it still was not getting internet to more than one device plugged into switch.   Each device would show ethernet connections, but only one would work with internet.     

Please advice, I'm trying to understand basics but forgive me if I'm missing something.

And thank you.
B

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

No, the switch is not a router. You need a router between the modem and switch...

Message 4 of 15
btm215
Aspirant

Well that explains it!    I thought the managed switch would do the work of the router.

Can you recommend a router for my setup?

Just for my own knowledge, does a router not have multiple ports which is why you need switch as well?  In other words, why wouldn't a router and switch be one unit?

Trying to fully understand each component.

Thanks so much!

B

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Any be any router. Depends on what you need and do. Most NG R series routers are good, R7800 and models upwards. 
RAX are simiar but come with AX wifi modes. 

XR series are gaming routers.

NG Orbi is a router with wirelss mesh satellites for more coverage. 

You can connect up any non NG router as well. 

Most routers come with LAN ports in back, usually 4 ports are standard. Orbi AX comes with 3. Seen smaller routers come with 1 port only thus a switch would be needed. You can keep the one you have and connect it to the router your looking to put in place. 

You can connect any kind of switch to the back of a router for more ports and configurations. I have a 24 port behind my one router as I have multiple rooms to service and other wired devices that connect to the switch. You can also daisy chain switches as well. Can do many things with switches. 

Message 6 of 15
btm215
Aspirant

This is very helpful.   I'm specifically trying to eliminate wifi, so any recommendations on a non-wifi router?

Thanks again, this is all clearing up for me.

Best

B

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Well most routers (NG R, XR and RAXseries ) come with wifi built in. Those routers you can fully turn OFF the wifi radios on most of them. MESH you can't turn off the wifi. It's alwasy ON. 

The only other non wifi routers I know off are Ubiquity. I have a ER-X router from them and it's a small box with 5 ports on the front and thats it. All configured by web page. The ER-X is limited though on the WAN to LAN speeds. I think it maxes out at 300Mbps so if your on a GB ISP service, that model won't work for you. I believe Ubiquity has other models that probably support Gb ISP speeds. Something to look into if you don't want to install a wifi router and turn OFF it's radios. 

Message 8 of 15
btm215
Aspirant

Good to know about Ubiquity.    Probably my last question is:  if I get a router with 4 ports and run one to the switch, would it then be able to successfully get internet to my devices since it ran thru the router first, or would I end up with the same problem.

I already have the switch with 16 ports but could return and get something like the 

Cisco Systems Gigabit Dual WAN VPN 14 Port Router 

That way the switch is built into the router.

My xfinity/comcast Blast plan has "download as fast as 300 Mbps"

Not too fast.

Message 9 of 15
antinode
Guru

> [...] if I get a router with 4 ports and run one to the switch, would
> it then be able to successfully get internet to my devices since it ran
> thru the router first, [...]

Should work.  You want one router, not less, not more.  For more LAN
Ethernet ports, add one or more network switches (on the LAN side of the
one router).

> [...] or would I end up with the same problem.

Employing a router should solve the problems which are caused by not
employing a router.

> [...] something like the
> Cisco Systems Gigabit Dual WAN VPN 14 Port Router
> That way the switch is built into the router.

I would not bet that such a router is well suited to the needs of
anyone who asks a question like, "The switch is a router right?".

Message 10 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

yes, the switch just works like a pass thru for data going to connected devices is all. Packets are just routed thru to devices that are getting data. Switches are just mostly plug n play. Unless you get a managed switch then you can get into complex configurations with them.

Thats something you could get for sure. If thats something that would be best suited for your needs. Be sure your getting something that suits your needs and you can configure as well. Some times those can be complex to work with or have features that may not be suited for your needs or you may not have need for what the features provide. Pick something that works best for you. 

@btm215 wrote:

Good to know about Ubiquity.    Probably my last question is:  if I get a router with 4 ports and run one to the switch, would it then be able to successfully get internet to my devices since it ran thru the router first, or would I end up with the same problem.

I already have the switch with 16 ports but could return and get something like the 

Cisco Systems Gigabit Dual WAN VPN 14 Port Router 

That way the switch is built into the router.

My xfinity/comcast Blast plan has "download as fast as 300 Mbps"

Not too fast.

Message 11 of 15
btm215
Aspirant

Sounds good.   I'm looking at this for a non-wifi router:

Linksys LRT214 Gigabit VPN Router

I have a TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch that is unmanaged that I bought when I first attempted this, and then I got the NETGEAR 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch (GS116E) which has more ports but I can still return so if I am able to use the ports directly off router and TP-Link switch, then that'll give me 10 or 11 I believe.

Let me know if you see any red flags with this router.

Thanks again!
B

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Something you'll have try. I don't recommend Linksys anymore. Sorry. Bad experience with them. 

I would not recommend TP-Link. They seem to have bad nefarious business practices. 

Keep the NG switch and try out a wired only router and see what works for your needs. Good Luck. 

Message 13 of 15
schumaku
Guru

Netgear BR500 might do what you basically expect. Can be operated with a local management Web UI...

Message 14 of 15
btm215
Aspirant

This looks good, anything equivolant at a lower price point?    Not sure I need that manpower with my 300 Mbps max download speed but I'll get it if it will be reliable.   A lot of reviews for some of these talk about how they turn off randomly and reset so want to make sure I get the most trusty.

Thanks for all this info and education!  Much Appreciated!
B

Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7