Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Technicolor DPC3216 Modem to Netgear AC1900, R7000 router 80 feet apart not connecting

resimonson
Follower

Technicolor DPC3216 Modem to Netgear AC1900, R7000 router 80 feet apart not connecting

My router (6 mths old) is not connecting once I move it 80 feet from the modem. When I move them closer and connect with a 3' "professional" cable everything works fine. I have two cables that I have attached ends to, and tested both cables with an ethernet cable integrity tool (continuity?). The cables test fine, but do not allow the router to connect to the internet. Note, I can see the wireless signal from the router; just not connecting to the internet. I DID HAVE it working at one time, but had some issues during a netflix binge and move the two closer to address the weak wireless signal to the TV (also 80 feet away). The ideal setup is the TV and modem in one room with the router 80 feet away in the attic. Note, once I get this figured out, I have an AC1750 router (in an access point configuration) 300 feet away in a boathouse. When things were working right, the external boathouse router was also working fine. I am frustrated with the router/modem not working at 80 feet. I was expecting to have issues/slowness with the access point router 300 ft apart. HELP.

Model: R7000|AC1900 Smart WIFI Router
Message 1 of 2
antinode
Guru

Re: Technicolor DPC3216 Modem to Netgear AC1900, R7000 router 80 feet apart not connecting

> My router (6 mths old) is not connecting once I move it 80 feet from
> the modem. [...]

Are you talking about the distance or the cable length?

> [...] I have two cables that I have attached ends to, and tested both
> cables with an ethernet cable integrity tool (continuity?). The cables
> test fine, but do not allow the router to connect to the internet.

These cables are made from what, exactly?  (Category what?)  Does a
shorter made-by-you cable do better?  What do the LED indicators on
these devices indicate?  For a test, using a LAN port on the R7000
instead of its WAN/Internet port might tell you more about the cable
(link rate).

> [...] I have an AC1750 router (in an access point configuration) 300
> feet away in a boathouse. [...]

100m is the value usually given for the max cable length, so that one
would be close to the limit.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats