Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trouble shooting on the Netgear C7000V2 slow Wi-Fi speed (Results)

bolthead28
Aspirant

c7000v2 Slow wifi speed

I have the same issue as you "Slow download wifi speed on C7000v2".  I initially have the Netgear c3700v2 modem router combo (Handles up to 300Mbps each on the 2.4 and 5G bands).  Since I have switched to the "600 Mbps" plan with Comcast Xfinity, I want to upgrade my Modem and router. 

That's when the problem started.  First, I choose the Netgear C7000V2 modem/router (supposed to go up to 800 Mbps).  When I tested on my phone.  I only get up to around 250 Mbps sometime below 200 Mbps.  I have trouble shoot this issue for 3 days after the purchase.  I finally have to call up Xfinity Tech support to come to my house.  Here is what they found:  Signal coming out from the wall inside my house is 1200 Mbps.  Hardwired to the C7000v2 is 700 Mbps.  But Wifi is only around 270 Mbps.  The Xfinity tech support does not know what causes this problem.  The next day I called up the Netgear tech support.  They asked me to change the channel and other configurations.  But the issue still exists.  I have been working with both the Xfinity and Netgear tech supports for a month.  The issue is still unresolved.  The Netgear tech support also had find out that there are 2 issues on my modem.  1. Under the event log - there is a T3 time out error.  2. On the upstream channel - the powers on each channel are little too high.  They asked me first had to ask Xfinity to fix those problems first before the Netgear tech support can go further with the trouble shooting.  The Xfinity tech support had already been out to my house 3 times (Today, Xfinity will send a Senior tech support to my house to look at the problem once again). I had also worked with the Netgear support every single day.  Nobody knows how to resolve this problem yet.  On my own trouble shooting, I purchased another C7000v2 to see whether it is a hardware issue.  Same problem!!  I then purchased another Netgear different model Ax2700 CAX30 (Docsis 3.1 up to 2.7 Gbps wifi speed).  Guess what!! My download wifi speed went up to between 600 Mbps to 650 Mbps (sometime even to 700 Mbps).  I assume there may be some kind of design issues with the C7000V2 since there are so many people have the same problem with slow WIFI speed on the C7000v2.  I hope this message will help other Netgear communities on trouble shooting this issue.

Message 1 of 5
bolthead28
Aspirant

Trouble shooting on the Netgear C7000V2 slow Wi-Fi speed (Results)

I initially have the Netgear c3700v2 modem router combo (Handles up to 300Mbps each on the 2.4 and 5G bands).  Since I have switched to the "600 Mbps" plan with Comcast Xfinity, I want to upgrade my Modem and router. 

That's when the problem started.  First, I choose the Netgear C7000V2 modem/router (supposed to go up to 800 Mbps).  When I tested on my phone.  I only get up to around 250 Mbps sometime below 200 Mbps with the 5G connection.  I have trouble shooting this issue for 3 days after the C7000v2 purchase.  No luck.  I finally have to call up Xfinity Tech support to come to my house.  Here is what they found:  Signal coming out from the wall inside my house is 1200 Mbps.  Hardwired to the C7000v2 is 700 Mbps.  But Wi-Fi is only around 250 Mbps (tested on 2 android phones and 1 iPhone).  The Xfinity tech support does not know what causes this problem.  The next day, I called up the Netgear tech support.  They asked me to change the channel and other configurations.  But the issue still exists.  I have been working with both the Xfinity and Netgear tech supports for a month.  The issue is still unresolved.  The Netgear tech support also had found out that there are 2 issues on my modem.  1. Under the event log - there is a T3 time out error.  2. On the upstream channel - the powers on each channel are little too high.  They asked me first had to ask Xfinity to fix those problems first before the Netgear tech support can go further on the trouble shooting.  The Xfinity tech support had already been out to my house 3 times (Today, Xfinity will send a Senior tech support to my house to look at the problem once again). I had also worked with the Netgear support every single day.  Nobody knows how to resolve this problem yet.  I have enough of this nonsense.  C7000V2 supposed to be a plug and play modem router. I started on my own trouble shooting, I purchased another C7000v2 to see whether it is a hardware issue.  Same problem!!  I also asked the Xfinity tech support to leave their Comcast modem router with me. The result to the Comcast modem download Wi-Fi speed came out to be around 450 Mbps which is a little bit better.  I then purchased another Netgear modem router but different model Ax2700 CAX30 (Docsis 3.1 up to 2.7 Gbps wifi speed).  Guess what!! My download Wi-Fi speed went up to between 600 Mbps to 650 Mbps (sometime even to 700 Mbps).  I assume there may be some kind of design issues with the C7000V2 since there are so many people is having the same problem with the slow WIFI speed on the C7000v2.  I hope this message will help other Netgear communities on trouble shooting this issue.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: c7000v2 Slow wifi speed

"But Wifi is only around 270 Mbps." This is pretty good and around the top range that you seen on 5Ghz AC wifi. Most devices top out at around 300-500Mpbs. You'll not see anywhere near 900Mpbs on 5Ghz WiFi on this model modem. 

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Trouble shooting on the Netgear C7000V2 slow Wi-Fi speed (Results)

Its not a design issue. Its an issue with not understanding wireless AC. 

You're comparing a wireless AX router to a wireless AC router. Its not an apples to apples comparison. 

Of course you'll hit faster speeds on a wireless AX router. 

The C7000 is an AC1900 combo device. Meaning its a modem and router together. The R7000 is similar but router only and its expected speeds are roughly 300-400mbps over wireless. Your going to see less than that on the C7000 because its got the same amount of power going to it and a similar cpu but has to share that power/processor with the modem and the router. 

If you research AC1900 combo devices from that generation, that 250-300mbps is about all you can expect from the 5ghz. 

You'll hit faster speeds wired (as you found out) but not wireless. 

If you want more details on it and the misunderstanding of wireless speeds, try reading this article. 

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Message 4 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: c7000v2 Slow wifi speed

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements