Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VPN Passthrough

JPLeslie
Aspirant

VPN Passthrough

I'm trying to help someone connect to her company's VPN. She had been able to with her old router supplied by her ISP. It died and with the replacement they gave her (R6300v2) she's getting the error that says the most common cause for failure is that at least one device between the computer and the VPN server is not configured to allow GRE protocol packets.

I've seen this error several times before and every time it means that VPN Passthrough is not enabled in the router. She called the ISP and got the login information to the Netgear and I looked through all the settings but did not see any setting concerned with VPN Passthrough. I looked through the manual online but didn't any reference at all to VPN Passthrough. I did some internet searching and found one forum where a responder said that setting was removed from the web interface of this modem and that the setting was turned on at the factory. I've not seen that mentioned anywhere else yet in my search.

Does anyone know if this model, R6300v2, has VPN Passthrough enabled by default and is there any way it can be checked since I don't see that setting anywhere in the web UI? I'm not impressed when manufacturers remove settings like this from the UI so only the manufacturer has access.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Message 1 of 6
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: VPN Passthrough

Hi @JPLeslie,

The link below may help out.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/966?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 6
JPLeslie
Aspirant

Thanks for the link. It does say the D6300 has VPN Passthrough built in but this is an R6300 so I don't know if would be considered the same or not.

Message 3 of 6
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @JPLeslie,

Yes, the article applies to the R6300v2 as well as indicated under the wireless AC routers on the top left.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 4 of 6
JPLeslie
Aspirant

@DexterJB wrote:

Hi @JPLeslie,

Yes, the article applies to the R6300v2 as well as indicated under the wireless AC routers on the top left.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Thanks for the information. Since that link say the D6300 supports VPN Passthrough I find it very odd that this person is unable to connect to her company's VPN. The error she gets is the error I see when the person's home router has VPN Passthrough disabled. I know the VPN works as she is the only one in her company that can't access it.

At any rate, she bought a Verizon hotspot and using that she was able to connect to the company VPN with no problem. I still say the Netgear router is blocking the VPN but there's nothing that can be done about it.

I'm glad I ran into this problem because any routers I get in the future I'll be checking their manual online to see how user configurable it is before buying it. I detest these companies dumbing down their interfaces so that users have less and less control. It's not just Netgear doing it. Some ISPs provide equipment that don't allow the user to do much more than just plug it in and use it.

Message 5 of 6
dhondtm
Initiate

Does this apply to a C6300?  I had no issues setting up VPN L2TP or even OpenVPN with my previous cable/router but for some reason with the upgrade to C6300 I can't get it to work anymore.

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7