Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Will an 802.11n router accept a signal from an 802.11ac TV?

imthebigdog
Aspirant

Will an 802.11n router accept a signal from an 802.11ac TV?

New Samsung tv connects to the network, but not the internet. Is has an 802.11ac wifi card. Will my 802.11b/g/n wireless router accept that version or do I need to upgrade?...because I can't connect.  This seems to be the only logical conclusion. I have heard of this issue with many other people now that I've started looking around the internet. Thousands of posts of not being able to connect to the internet with these Samsung TV's.

Message 1 of 13
bebbo
Star

Re: Will an 802.11n router accept a signal from an 802.11ac TV?

An 802.11ac device will be able to drop back to b/g/n so the TV should be able to connect to your router.

There are however sometimes incompatibilities between different vendors but this is becoming less common now.

Is it getting an IP address from the router (If you have DHCP set) and the correct gateway / router address?

Can you connect via ethernet cable and perform a TV firmware update to see if that corrects the issue?

Message 2 of 13
imthebigdog
Aspirant

Everything in that regard is good. Tech guy at BrightHouse even set the Mac address as a DMZ so it doesn't even have to go thru security to get noticed. Still no good. I did a firmware update via USB. There a thousands of posts on the internet with people having the same issues. I thought that maybe being that 802.11ac is the latest wireless standard, that the older versions would not support a newer version. I would expect that 802.11ac would support 802.11b/g/n, but not the other way around. The crazy thing is is that this is a brand new tv. What are the odds something is wrong with it?

Message 3 of 13
bebbo
Star

You say it connects to the network in your original message, do you mean it sees your WiFi, connects and gets an IP address?

You also say your TV is set as the DMZ. How have you done this? Have you set a fixed IP address for the TV or have you added the MAC address to the DHCP server on the router with a fixed IP?

Is UPnP activated on the router? (I would switch off the DMZ if I were you as it can cause issues with other devices on the network occasionally).

Does the router show the TV as connected (i.e. is it shown in the list of connected devices).

Does your router have a list of open ports on the UPnP page and if so, are any open for the TV?

Message 4 of 13
imthebigdog
Aspirant

1. Yes

2.the tech guy at BrightHouse cable added the MAC address to the DHCP server on the router with a fixed IP?

3.Yes, it is enabled.

4.Yes, it shows up as 'local host' with the correct IP address and mac address

5.The UpnP does not show anything but enabled

Message 5 of 13
bebbo
Star

Odd, it appears wireless is fine and addresses are being allocated.

However, I know that some Samsung TV's have issues with AES encryption and it might be worth trying that...

On your router, firstly change the wireless channel from auto to a fixed one, 6, 3 or 12. Then set the wireless encryption to WPA-PSK (TKIP) - You may need to re-enter your wireless password. Whilst on the router check that there are no restrictions set for devices (parental or keyword blocking)

Restart your router and then your TV...
Message 6 of 13
imthebigdog
Aspirant

I am set up exactly as you recommended. There are no parental controls. BH router.png

Message 7 of 13
bebbo
Star

My only other suggestion at this point would be to try a fixed DNS setting on the TV. Use google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as the DNS servers...

I never asked, what router and what model TV...?

If this doesn't work I will have a think as I fall asleep!
Message 8 of 13
imthebigdog
Aspirant

1. I have already done that and it did not work.

2. Router:  Brighthouse Cable, Arris

3. TV is a Samsung UN55 JU670DF

Thanks.  Talk to you tomorrow!

Message 9 of 13
bebbo
Star

Last one then. I'm sure you checked it above but just confirm that in Parental Controls under Managed Devices:

Managed Devices: Enabled
Access Type: Allow all

and you are now set as TKIP only on WiFi?

Failing this, ask for a different router!
Message 10 of 13
imthebigdog
Aspirant

Parental controls are NOT enabled.

TKIP/AES for wireless settings.....

BrightHouse cable coming out tomorrow to swap out modem/router.

We'll see how that goes....

Message 11 of 13
bebbo
Star

The WiFi needs to be set to TKIP only (Use the older WPA not WPA2)...
Message 12 of 13
imthebigdog
Aspirant

Hmmm............cable company out this morning......swapped out the router...... and mysteriously.......the tv instantly connects. I swear, BrightHouse equipment is such crap. This is the fourth router I've had in the last two years. The infrastructure is old. I'm supposed to be getting 35MB internet speed and every tech that's been out here tells me that I should be seeing 40 on a speedtest. I only get 32. So today with the new improved router which BTW, costs $3 a month more, I suddenly have no problems with my TV and my internet speed is 42MB. Hmmmm.........Thanks for all your help!

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7