Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

c3700 connection issue

krward
Follower

c3700 connection issue

Well I tried Netgear Support and they were zero help....
I have the C3700 - 100NAS
Everything worked fine for a couple of months but now nothing except my 2 computers connect and works like normal with the router.

My cellphone, printer and TV all say they are connected to the router and when I log on to the Genie it also says they are all connected.

However the internet/apps load incredibly slow or don't load on my cellphone. The printer keeps saying it loses connection to the computer and the TV won't load Netflix or anything else. If i reset the router everything will work fine...for about 2 minutes.

I've tried resetting and there is no signal interference. I cant seem to figure out why my computers work fine but nothing else does...any ideas?

Message 1 of 47
khefner
Initiate

Re: c3700 connection issue

I have the same exact problem. Worked fine for a month now, I have no internet access, but I am "connected". Same problem on WiFi and Ethernet.

However the guest network wireless LAN works perfect!
I noticed the IP range for the guest network starts at 192.168.1.1,0.
For the primary LAN IP it starts at 192.168.0.10.

Tried resetting the router etc.
Message 2 of 47
ssciarratt
Novice

Does anybody also have re loading trouble FB and instagram . Doesnt reload or show pictures??
Message 3 of 47
mueller894
Aspirant

ssciarratt wrote:
Does anybody also have re loading trouble FB and instagram . Doesnt reload or show pictures??
I am having the same issue. FB doesn't update and many pages are slow to load. Wish there was help at this forum.
Message 4 of 47
Fairytail
Virtuoso

Please create a ticket for support team.

Message 5 of 47
N3306tx
Initiate

Not a happy customer...
You all are correct. Netgear support is useless. I've had nothing but problems with the C3700. I have the same problem as many of you. My problem seems to be with 5G on the C3700. But there appears to be no way to turn off 5G signal even though manual shows screenshot where you should be able to turn it off. My screen looks the same but without the option to turn off 5G. I've rebooted this modem more times in the few months I've had it than I ever did with my other netgear modems in the last 10 years. Lately, Comcast even told me that the problem looked to be the modem.

Second problem...The updates page had a VPN hotfix. Ran the hotfix and got an error. Phone support wouldn't support it because I'm just past the 90-days of the free useless support. I've also seen something on the Netgear site where the C3700 doesn't supposedly support the hotfix, so why is it on the update page for the C3700?

I can now understand why this modem got only a 1-star rating and didn't even make the list for the best known modem manufacturers. Netgear used to have great products...what happened?

Now heading to buy a better brand rated modem for less than what I paid for (what I thought was) a quality Netgear product but actually works better as a paperweight.
Message 6 of 47
Presmudjo
Novice

Yes, the 90 day support is stupid. I now want to use this readyshare that is required if I want to add an external drive to pull from onto the modem/router, N600 C3700. Can't seem to do anything with it. The manual states how to do it, but nothing stated in the manual is available. I have spent 2 days trying to figure this out to no avail. So seems worthless. I spent all this money for what was at one time considered a very good piece of equipment. I have learned in the last few months I will never buy a netgear anything ever again, and have been busy telling everyone how worthless the company is in support. I know I use to see this external drive when I had it hooked up months ago, but now it is lost in never never land.
Message 7 of 47
Axion
Novice

I'm having the same issue on my android phone and tablet. Everything is slow when i connect to WiFi, and the Netgear support is ridiculous. this only happens on my netgear C3700 router
Message 8 of 47
nickslj
Novice

Just want to confirm, same router model. virtually no wifi access, ookla speedtest.net gives me connection speed of ~0.12Mbps usually.

wired connection through comcast working great. but yeah. wireless is terrible and I feel very strongly that there are no interference issues. the wifi will work sometimes after I change some router settings, but then it goes back to incredibly slow.

thought it was an android bug at first, didn't really notice it until after I upgraded my android devices to 5.0, but confirmed with a new pc that wifi problems are coming from my router.
Message 9 of 47
Hertzdonit
Novice

Same issue here. The router hooks up fine to the internet and might be good for a day or so, then loses connection and then reconnects, sometimes several times a day. We had speeds of about 10 meg and then not long after word the internet couldn't be 'throttled', we suddenly had up to 45 meg. now it's back down to 5 if we're lucky. When initially set up, connection and speed were bad and instructions were to use the reset button and after it finished booting up, disconnect power. This seemed to do the trick, but later on we would get the disconnects again. We have comcast and the firmware version on the router is several levels above what Comcast is supposed to be...not sure if this is the issue, but I will get with Comcast and see if it might be and have them trigger the version we're supposed to have. Ookla says 4 meg right now, so I'm going to power off the router and see if reboot gets the speed back up.
Message 10 of 47
Sam_Sung
Novice

If so many customers are having this same problem, why is Netgear not helping us fix it? That seems like the rational thing to do.
Message 11 of 47
ryldup
Novice

Submitted a ticket for essentially all the same issues. Waiting for a response. This seems to be the major issue with all of the C3700's. Connection issue, connection issue, connection issue. I ran the VPN hotfix, hopefully that will fix the wife's issue connecting to her work. changed the channels to limit the interference with the neighbors wifis. I'm hoping that this will be fixed quickly. Annoying to have dropped connections and not connecting on the phone or tablets correctly.
Message 12 of 47
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If you go to the Downloads area and search for the C3700 you will see no firmware listed. Netgear provide that router to ISPs, and the ISPs provide the firmware. Netgear cannot provide support for firmware issues if they don’t produce the firmware.
Message 13 of 47
ashkul
Novice

I too am having QoS issues....latency and poor bandwidth using c3700 modem & router with Comcast Xfinity....while using wireless and/or wired. Web pages render slowly and Microsoft Lync calls are garbled intermittently. It was working well till a month ago or so; since then performance has degraded intermittently to the point its impacting my productivity.

Comcast if of no help, and can't find any support on Netgear. Is this c3700 model a lemon? Or was some firmware pushed down unbeknownst to me that is now mucking things up? Currently v.1.01.11. Tried factory reset to no avail.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
Message 14 of 47
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The source of the firmware is usually Netgear (maybe always, not sure about that), but it is provided only to ISP and includes ISP required modifications. So while Tech Support may not be able to provide a firmware solution there is still be some value in contacting them to see if they can help, especially since not all issues are firmware related and they often have answers to common problems. Where support cannot resolve the issue then it will still be logged and may lead to a firmware update in the future, however that still requires some discussion and action between Netgear and the ISP, which can unfortunately be slow.

So no, you don’t really have a ‘lemon’, but unfortunately due to the nature of the Netgear/ISP contractual setup changes can be slow to filter through, and if there is no ‘firmware solution’ then both the ISP and Netgear should offer some level of advice / investigation.
Message 15 of 47
ashkul
Novice

Does anyone know the current firmware version for netgear c3700 for Comcast Xfinity? The netgear website lists v 1.01.05 for my model and ISP. However my actual device shows v1.01.11.

For those having issues with Comcast and the same netgear cable modem router, can you please check your firmware? Wondering if that's what is causing the frequent latency issues and connection drops (even when on Ethernet cable) and wifi signal degradation that started a couple of months ago.

ash
Message 16 of 47
LJ1221
Novice

My firmware version for c3700 also shows v1.01.11 for comcast and I also see that netgear has v1.01.05. I just purchased the router 2 weeks ago and I have fast speeds to web pages and then dial-up speeds. Frustrating. My internet and wifi are fine just the speeds are inconsistent.
Message 17 of 47
Babylon5
NETGEAR Employee Retired

LJ1221 wrote:
... and I also see that netgear has v1.01.05 ...

Where please? I don't see it in the 'Downloads' area?
Message 18 of 47
LJ1221
Novice

Go to Netgear support home page
Click icon "Routers, Modems & Gateways"
(1) Routers, Modems & Gateways"
(2) Cable Modems
(3) C3700
Under popular answers scroll down to
"Current Firmware Version for Netgear Cables, Modems & Routers
Message 19 of 47
Polarlaw06
Initiate

That's funny Andy. I've been dealing with the exact same issues as the other folks on this board for the past two weeks. When I called Comcast and insisted that they push the firmware down as noted on Netgear's site, the response that I received was that Comcast only pushes their firmware to register the modem - not Netgear's. If that's the issue, then why can't we update it manually like other modem/routers??

Message 20 of 47
wil12ken
Aspirant

Having same intermitent issues as described in this thread.  I have sent an email to tech support but doesn't sound like I should get my hopes up.   I will pass on anything I find out.  In the meantime, has anyone had any luck/progress on stabilizing their performance issues?   I did a complete factory reset and performance was much better then a regular reboot but within a single day it already froze up and required a reboot.

Message 21 of 47
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello wil12ken 

If you are having intermit internet connections have you checked to see if you have a cable splitter between the the modem and the wall outlet if you do try removing it and go directly to the wall and test to see if your still having intermit connections. The other thing you could try is if you have another active cable outlet in your home is hook the modme up to it and test to see if your having issues. If you find either one of these to fix the problem I would contact your ISP and have them come check the lines. Hope to hear your feedback.

DarrenM

Message 22 of 47
wil12ken
Aspirant

Thanks DarrenM for the thoughts.

I did move cable outlets and the same behavior has persisted.  There is only 1 main splitter from the direct cable into my house.  I actually have a second modem for work (not netgear/rented from comcast) running off the same splitter and it's does not experience any issues.    My work modem is throttle at 5Mpbs and my home connection is 25Mbs.  I am not sure that makes a difference.   

I've made it a few days with only 1 reset on my home modem.  If it doesn't stablize then I think you are correct that my last choice before replacing the Netgear Modem is having Comcast come out to check the line signal strength.

Thanks again.

Message 23 of 47
glenn123
Aspirant

I have a c3700 with Comcast as my ISP.  My firmware version is 2.02.06.  According to the Netgear site, it should be 2.02.26.  I'm having a lot of connectivity issues.  I spent nearly two hours on the phone with Comcast, and they were not very knowledgeable about how to update the firmware, and *thought* that it should get updated, if they "provisioned" the cable modem.  They did that three times, including after a factory reset, but I'm still running 2.02.06.  They couldn't even tell me if what they have themselves is newer than that.  Very frustrating.  Anyone have suggestions about how to proceed?

Message 24 of 47
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello glenn123

Unfortunately the Isp pushes all the firmware to the modem no way to manually update it. Other than the firmware did they test the signal strength or look for packet loss may the area is over utilized causing the connection issues? You may want to have a comcast tech come out and check the lines if tech support wasnt helpful with troubleshooting the issue. 

DarrenM

Message 25 of 47
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7