Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

no internet access, cm500

bbxrider
Aspirant

no internet access, cm500

suddenly my samsung galaxy s21, android 12, can connect to the cm500, but there is no internet, for either 2.4g or 5g. this had been working ok for the last 22 months, both channels, I had not changed, to my knowledge any phone or cm500 internet/wireless settings. I bought the cm500 21 months ago.

is it possible some hardware component that includes internet in the wireless signal has just suddenly failed? I have not yet seen any hardware checking app for the cm500.

the firmware version is 3.0.0.4.380_10446-g4747561. I tried to do the check firmware version, but that comes back "The router cannot connect to ASUS server to check for the firmware update." its seems weird that a netgear box is connecting to an ASUS server for updates? could it be that netgear and asus have  the same internals?

and

the banner on the router website is "ASUS RT-N600"...again seems weird that a netgear box has the ASUS title.

I have 2 other devices that  connect via wireless,  an HP printer and an xfinity flex box.

the printer site reports no internet connection. the flex box can get youtube and other web connections.

since this is an xfinity supplied box for my xfinity connections, perhaps it is somehow able to get internet when my other connections are not there?

my pc, connected via cat5 from the cm500 also has internet.

I was able to connect to a friends wireless router and get internet. so it seems its not a phone problem but for some reason wireless to the phone just stopped having internet availability.

I have restarted the cm500 both by unplugging and doing a restart while logged in.

is this too many questions at once? :-))

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
bbxrider
Aspirant

Re: no internet access, cm500

oops, big time, thanks for not totally laughing me off the forum, I'm blaming it on my chronic fatige syndrome can put you in strange places

yes I have a asus router using the netgear modum

the asus is/was 10+ years in service and it seems for some reason it stopped providing internet in both wireless bands but was ok with a cat5 connection to my pc. the netgear appears to be working ok.

I reset the router both from logged in and the reset button but those did not solve the missing internet.

perhaps some chip  burnout?

now I have a new router working with the netgear

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies

@bbxrider wrote:

suddenly my samsung galaxy s21, android 12, can connect to the cm500, but there is no internet, for either 2.4g or 5g. this had been working ok for the last 22 months, both channels, I had not changed, to my knowledge any phone or cm500 internet/wireless settings. I bought the cm500 21 months ago.

The CM500 is a Netgear cable modem. It doesn't do wifi. So you will never see 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz wifi from that.

Do you have a router connected to the modem? That is where the wifi starts.

the firmware version is 3.0.0.4.380_10446-g4747561. I tried to do the check firmware version, but that comes back "The router cannot connect to ASUS server to check for the firmware update." its seems weird that a netgear box is connecting to an ASUS server for updates? could it be that netgear and asus have  the same internals?

You are right, really strange, so much so that that message almost certainly has nothing to do with your Netgear modem.

Maybe you have an Asus router on your network. If so, we can't help you much.

Message 2 of 5
bbxrider
Aspirant

oops, big time, thanks for not totally laughing me off the forum, I'm blaming it on my chronic fatige syndrome can put you in strange places

yes I have a asus router using the netgear modum

the asus is/was 10+ years in service and it seems for some reason it stopped providing internet in both wireless bands but was ok with a cat5 connection to my pc. the netgear appears to be working ok.

I reset the router both from logged in and the reset button but those did not solve the missing internet.

perhaps some chip  burnout?

Message 3 of 5

@bbxrider wrote:

Does that mean you have fixed things?

You clearly made a wise choice some time back when you opted for a standalone modem. That makes like a lot easier when it comes t replacing the router bit. You have a much bigger choice to go for.

Replacing something 10 years old should come as a pleasant surprise.

Message 4 of 5
bbxrider
Aspirant

thanks for the reply

yes I'm up and running again

I have had a few asus products now, including a laptop and an android phone, they are definitely good products.

they also have a cloud storage backup thing, fantastic value, less then 20.00 for a tb for a year, supposed to auto sync everything and connect all devices but having trouble getting that to work to auto sync when files get added or updated on my pc and getting that updated to the cloud, 

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7