× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

AT&T Nighthawk M6 Pro wifi range (or lack of)

Willgregg73
Guide

AT&T Nighthawk M6 Pro wifi range (or lack of)

Just got the M6 Pro from AT&T. I've got steady 3 to 4 bars of signal. Speed is about 130mbps if I'm right next to the device. If I walk 10 feet away, even line of sight, it drops to low 20mbps. If I stand 20 feet away, it's either too slow to test or drops completely. I live in a rural area with limited options. I REALLY want/ need this to work, as the 130mbps is 10x better than anything we've had, for half the price. Any way to boost the range of the wifi signal? Tried removing the battery for "in-home performance mode". Seems worse, if anything. Any help is much appreciated 🙏
Message 1 of 19
plemans
Guru

Re: AT&T Nighthawk M6 Pro wifi range (or lack of)

what are your interior walls made from? 
If they're standard sheetrock/wood, it should work fairly well. not as good as a dedicated router but it should still have decent range. 

It does have an ethernet port you can connect a router to if you have one around from a prior setup. 

Message 2 of 19
Willgregg73
Guide

I don't have a router to try. House is wood/sheetrock. Called support today, they said try setting to 2.4G for more range. Hope the speed doesn't drop too much. I have the M6 set to 2.4G/5G now as I have an older laptop that wouldn’t see the 5G wifi.
As it is now, M6 signal won't even reach my plug-in extender 12' away in direct line of sight. I'll try the 2.4G and see if that helps.
I wonder if any router would work with this? Couldn't hurt I'd guess...
Message 3 of 19
Hotspot40324
Tutor

I have the Dish/Project Genesis version -- MR6400.  To overcome the WiFi range issue I added a Netgear AC750 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender (EX2800) & set the hotspot WiFi to 5GHz and the extender-to-device WiFi to 2.4GHz ("FastLane").  I'm happy with the results so far.

Message 4 of 19
Willgregg73
Guide

My netgear AC3700 (I think) plug-in extenders don't seem to want to connect at all. They detect the M6, and looks good all thru setup, but then won't connect. I'm hoping to get something that is more plug & play
Message 5 of 19
YDB1
Tutor

I have same issue, m6 is next to tv, about two feet away and I get good signal for it but setting 15 feet away in sight of the m6 my ipad, laptop, tablet doesn't locate a signal. I have a couple ofrouter, 2.4 & 5g but not sure if I can hook them to the m6 or is that even possible. I also live in rural area with very limited options. My tv in the basement sometimes get the signal but can count on it. Very frustrating
Message 6 of 19
igorjrr
Guide

Netgear M6 is an unfinished product put on the market in a rush, for a premium price. You, I and all other customers are actually testers.

I would advise returning it if it's possible, as defective. Otherwise, I'm sorry, but you wasted your money buying a Netgear M6.

Message 7 of 19
Willgregg73
Guide

I'm sure you are right, but as my options are so limited where I live, it's the best one I have.
I did some research and ended up buying a TP-Link Router (Archer AXE75). This thing is amazing. The wifi now extends about 20' outside my (2900sf stucco) house at the farthest point from router @ around 10-15mbs, but ranges from 70-100mbs anywhere inside the house, depending on distance from router.
I know 70 or even 100mbs doesn't sound that great to people in urban areas, but in my area, you're doing big things @ 20mbs.
Also, I was paying $80/month for 20mbs, now I'm paying $40 for 100, so it's a win for me.
For the first time, I can watch Directv On Demand, or stream Amazon/Netflix without buffering.
Lastly, the 5G AT&T signal has been rock solid thru several storms. My previous internet would go down for 2-3 days every time it rained heavily. So there's also the reliability aspect that's greatly improved.
Message 8 of 19
Willgregg73
Guide

I forgot to mention I hardwired the M6 to my TP Link router via 20' ethernet cable. Set up the TP on top of an armoire in the MB near desktop/printer etc. The six (6) antenna are VERY directional and it takes some trial and effort, but it's now dialed in and works great. The TP Link set up was very easy as well. Pretty much plug & play via TP software.
Hope this helps somebody else!
Message 9 of 19
YDB1
Tutor

I have a couple 2.4 and 5 g routers, do I plug into the LAN port on the M6 then go to the router?
Message 10 of 19
Willgregg73
Guide

Yes that's what I did, from M6 LAN port to router. The reason I bought my particular TP Link router was because of its advertised range. I did not want to deal with extenders or a mesh system. So far, so good👍
Message 11 of 19
YDB1
Tutor

I have a couple extenders but couldn't get them to link up, I'll try my router. Thank
Message 12 of 19
plemans
Guru

Be aware if you're hardwiring in an extender, that extender needs to be setup in access point mode to function hardwired in

Message 13 of 19
tallfarmboy
Aspirant

I just got a M6 Pro. Speed is amazing next to the device, but the signal drop off is staggering. My phone won't pickup the M6 WiFi signal through 1 wall. However, the wireless printer's WiFi signal is visible throughout the house. I'm currently using 2.4 and 5ghz. Should I drop to 2.4Ghz only? Should I return the device as faulty? My old MiFi device (Alcatel) would give me excellent signal all through the house. Thank you for any input!

TFB

Message 14 of 19
plemans
Guru

do you have it set on performance? or battery optimized? 

Message 15 of 19
tallfarmboy
Aspirant

Guessing battery optimized... Was unaware that there was another mode. Is it accessible via the touchscreen or in the Netgear app?
Thanks!
Message 16 of 19
Willgregg73
Guide

That's exactly why I started this thread. It seems a common flaw with the M6. I hardwired a router and now I've got great signal throughout my entire house
Message 17 of 19
Willgregg73
Guide

I did not find a discernable difference between modes; maybe a few feet at best. Pair it with a good router, and you'll be happy
Message 18 of 19
plemans
Guru

Pairing it with a decent router does help. I've got the MR6110 and its range isn't great so at home I connect it to a backup mesh system I have to give whole home coverage for those times its down. 

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7