× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

How to setup VPN passthrough on Nighthawk m5

WalkerF
Aspirant

How to setup VPN passthrough on Nighthawk m5

How can I configure VPN Passthrough on my Nighthawk M5 router?  I see where to enable VPN Passthrough but there seems to be no way to input my VPN configuration.  

I am attaching a screen shot of [Advanced Settings / Other] where the VPN information should be. 

Model: MR1100|Nighthawk M1 Mobile Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: How to setup VPN passthrough on Nighthawk m5

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Mobile Router products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with mobile routers and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/bd-p/aircard

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you

Message 2 of 6
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

For VPN passthrough, you also need to have the special subcription with VPN support from your carrier as we understand. Most of carriers don't allow incoming VPN access to your network behind M5.

Thanks

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@WalkerF wrote:

I see where to enable VPN Passthrough but there seems to be no way to input my VPN configuration.  

I am attaching a screen shot of [Advanced Settings / Other] where the VPN information should be. 

Where do you see the M5 (a specific or any model SKU, data sheet, product description, ...) should have a VPN client on board?

@JohnPeng wrote:

For VPN passthrough, you also need to have the special subcription with VPN support from your carrier as we understand.

Not sure about this - probably different in the States?

@JohnPeng wrote:

Most of carriers don't allow incoming VPN access to your network behind M5.

Incoming (VPN sessions established over the internet to the mobile router) require a public IP address on the router WAN/Internet interface. In the times of the shortage of public IPv4 addresses, we know that mobile providers usearrier Grade NAT, or are very often abuse private (RFC1918) address space. This is the primary feature our European carriers are enabling when booking a mobile connection for VPN connections.

Message 4 of 6
WalkerF
Aspirant

The SKU is this MR5100C-1BNCNS
In the Data sheet and user manual the word VPN Passthrough exists but is not elaborated on.

I have an ExpressVPN subscription and the manual details for a L2TP/IPsec connection.

In the screenshot all I am seeing is a check box next to VPN Passthrough and no place to enter details.
Message 5 of 6
JohnPeng
NETGEAR Expert

VPN passthrough suppport on M5 is for outgoing VPN connection.

M5 itself doesn't support a VPN server. That is why you can't see the settings on WebUI. But M5 will not block any incoming packets as long as Bell network doesn't block incoming VPN access based on your SIM subscription. You need to set up VPN server behind M5.

Thanks

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7