× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Nighthawk M6 Pro Unlocked Hotspot 5G mmWave

Internal antenna gain of MR5100-MR5200

meloserj
Aspirant

Internal antenna gain of MR5100-MR5200

!!!! Original post was in wrong forum, apologize admins as I can't remove or move it !!!!!

Hello mates

Does anybody knows how much is the internal antennas gain of MR5100/MR5200 in 4G/5G cellular networks?

I couldn't find this info anywhere, as I want to know this info to purchase external antennas properly. I don't want to purchase 3dbi external antennas and suddenly know that the internal antennas have the same gain.

Your kind help is highly appreciated.

Cheers

Message 1 of 5
JT240Z
Luminary

Re: Internal antenna gain of MR5100-MR5200

Might also want to consider that the internal antennas are 4x4 MIMO while the external ports only support 2x2 MIMO operation.  This alone will reduce the device's ability to pull in multipath signals.  Even the best external antenna will not provide you with greater bandwidth if the area you're in has reasonable signal strength.  The external antenna will only help if you're in a very weak signal area or the location you're in is shielded and you need to get signal from outside the shielded area.  Also keep in mind that the antennas you're looking at must be 50ohm and support frequencies up to 6GHz.

Message 2 of 5
meloserj
Aspirant

Tnx dude, do you know how much is the gain of internal 4x4 antennas?
Message 3 of 5
JT240Z
Luminary

Don't know what the actual gain is but it really comes down to more than just gain.  Can you explain why are you needing the external antenna?  Might help with some decision making.

Message 4 of 5
meloserj
Aspirant

Tnx dude, at this moment I just want to know the actual gain of internal antennas. I’m making a comparison

Cheers
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7