Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Privacy HSTS Error for child's Chromebook

Bewong15
Aspirant

Privacy HSTS Error for child's Chromebook

Hello,

I'm setting up my son's Chromebook for school with a Kids filter in Circle. When he tries to log on in the morning, he gets the following error:

HSTS error

"Your connection is not private," "NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID,"

When I try to reboot the computer, it also tells me that the "network may require additional login information" and will not allow me him to log in using ChromeOS.

By removing the device and putting it inot an unfiltered group, he can use the computer, and I typically enable the filter once he's logged in, but the problem happens all over again the next morning.  I cannot accept the certificate because there is no option to do so.

I've searched the forum and it appears that I'm not the only one with this issue, but no resolution has been posted. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to fix this? I'd prefer not to be the IT help desk every morning.

Thanks so much,

Brian

Hardware Version: RBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Firmware Version: V2.5.1.22
ChromeOS Version: 85.0.4183.108 64bit
Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Privacy HSTS Error for child's Chromebook

Hello Bewong15, 

I would like for our support team to reach out for further assistance. If you wish to be contacted, may you send me a private message with your email address and phone number. 

Thanks,

Christian 

Message 2 of 6
Ben33
Aspirant

I've encountered a similar issue to the one described by Bewong15.
It started occurring after I recently updated to firmware V2.5.1.22.
The only way to workaround this issue is by moving my devices (including my work computer) into an unfiltered group within the Circle App, which is not ideal.  I'm hoping you have found a solution the this issue now and I would be grateful if you could share it with me.
Regards,
Ben.

Hardware Version: RBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Firmware Version: V2.5.1.22
Message 3 of 6
Christian_R
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Ben33,

I recommend using the following link to open a support case regarding Circle: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx. To open a support case, please follow the steps below.

1. Select "Get help on my NETGEAR product"

2. Select your country

3. Select "I have a NETGEAR product without a serial number"

4. In the dropdown menu, please select "Circle" as the product

Regards,

Christian

Message 4 of 6
Ben33
Aspirant

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the suggestion.  I rasied a support ticket, as you suggested, but unfortunately didn't find Netgear Support very helpful.  They seemed more interested in getting me to purchase their overpriced Gearhead support contracts, than help me resolve my issue.

The good news is that the issue has now resolved itself.

Regards,

Ben.

Message 5 of 6
Bewong15
Aspirant

I have resorted to the same solution as you for now. Very frustrating and inadequate. I suspect this might have something to do with the way the school IT department is administering the computer and the software they have loaded on it. My next step is to reach out to them to see if they have a thought because Netgear has not been helpful.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7