× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

C6300 CM certificate installed but no CM MAC address

Dannymkelly
Aspirant

C6300 CM certificate installed but no CM MAC address

I have a couple of netgear modem/routers for xfinity service.  I cannot find any information on what is the CM certificate and CM MAC. 

On my C6300 which is missing the identity card, as normal, I connect to the 198.168.0.1 to get the information about the modem.  Now xfinity requires a CM MAC number.  This number is differant then the MAC number.  On my AC1600, 198.168.0.1 tells me CM certificate installed and the next line is CM MAC that is the MAC number -2.  I know my daughter the original owner of the AC1600 could not get installed, but had the original box that contained the CM MAC so they then could install it.  The sticker has the MAC address and not the CM MAC address.  Apparently that is something on the box label.  

So my question is what is the CM certificate and is it something installed by xfinity or netgear.  Does it contain a CM MAC number and if so why does this not appear on the C6300, but does on the AC1600.

Basically it appears the xfinity wants you to rent their modem/router and uses any excuse for not enabling it.  They render used modems useless.  There seems to be something about the CM MAC and certificate that xfinity uses not to allow you to use a pre-owned modem.  

Any inishgt will help me argue with xfinity and save me the $14/mo rental without putting out a couple of hundred $ for a new modem/router.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Dannymkelly
Aspirant

Re: C6300 CM certificate installed but no CM MAC address

Although curious what CM Certificate is and CM MAC.  I simply subtracted 2 from my MAC address, the address you get with "arp -a" and from the modem.  The installation with xfinity went as smooth as could be.  So the modem I was told does not work and the hours spent trying to get xfinity to install it were all wasted.  CM MAC = MAC-2.  You would think this would be well known.  But could not find the answer anywhere, Netgear tech service, xfinity tech service, google, etc.  Hope this documents it.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Cable Modem products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Cable modems and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this router forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/bd-p/home-cable-modems-routers

Please use this link to the main forum product list to review and choose where to make your posts. 
https://community.netgear.com/t5/NETGEAR-Forum/ct-p/en-netgear

Thank you.

Message 2 of 3
Dannymkelly
Aspirant

Although curious what CM Certificate is and CM MAC.  I simply subtracted 2 from my MAC address, the address you get with "arp -a" and from the modem.  The installation with xfinity went as smooth as could be.  So the modem I was told does not work and the hours spent trying to get xfinity to install it were all wasted.  CM MAC = MAC-2.  You would think this would be well known.  But could not find the answer anywhere, Netgear tech service, xfinity tech service, google, etc.  Hope this documents it.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7