× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can I use more than one EX6120 with my network?

Gdog1
Follower

Can I use more than one EX6120 with my network?

I have an R6400 router with one EX6120 extender. It works well, but I could use another extender. Can I use two EX6120s without causing a problem?

Model: EX6120|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi Range Extender
Message 1 of 3

Re: Can I use more than one EX6120 with my network?

@Gdog1 wrote:

I have an R6400 router with one EX6120 extender. It works well, but I could use another extender. Can I use two EX6120s without causing a problem?

No reason why it shouldn't work. But you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your device, in the appropriate section for your hardware. That's probably here:

WiFi Range Extenders & Nighthawk Mesh - NETGEAR Communities

Mobile Routers, Hotspots & Modems

Those things are very different from the standard Netgear routers covered in this section.

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware. Look at the label on the device for the model number.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear stopped supplying printed manuals and CD versions some years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Can I use more than one EX6120 with my network?

I don't generally recommend more than 1 extender. 

when users are needing more than 1 extender, I usually recommend moving to an actual mesh system designed for multiple nodes. 

With that out of the way, You can use more than 1 extender. 

I'd highly advise you against daisy chaining them. I'd set them up in a star configuration.

Star: Extender<--------router-------->extender

Daisy: Router------->extender------->extender

Reason why is the extenders have to use the same chip to go route---->extender and then extender---->devices. And they can't do both at once. so their thoroughput is cut in half.  If you're daisy chained and add another extender on the end and its cut in half again. so the 2nd extender at best would only get 25% of the original speed. And thats without taking into account interference, obstructions, distance, etc. With those included, your speeds are significantly lower.  Plus it increases latency. 

so overall, can you do it? Sure. 

Should you do it? Depends on your situation.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7