× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can't Access Router Login Page--Router in Access Point Mode

AllenCohn
Guide

Can't Access Router Login Page--Router in Access Point Mode

I've set my router up in Access Point mode (so that I can connect it to a wifi cable modem whose wifi has broken). Now I can't get to my WNDR3700v4 router login page. I've tried doing it over wife and by connecting ethernet cable straight from my computer to my WNDR3700v4. www.routerlogin.net doesn't work, nor www.routerlogin.com. No luck with 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.15, (http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1.

I've seen a few postings like this on the forum...but no solution. 

Help please?

Thanks,

Allen

Model: WNDR3700v4|N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Can't Access Router Login Page--Router in Access Point Mode

It is still possible to access the admin page of the router even if it's in AP mode.

If you do not know what IP address was assigned to it or you didn't assign one then your options are using an IP scanner or look at the DHCP server, in your case it could be the main router.

The DHCP server of the main router should show the IP addresses that it assigns on your devices.

You will be able to identify that it's the router since it will use the Device Name or the MAC address of the device.

One example of IP scanner is Advanced IP scanner. So again, the software will identify the devices through the device name/computer name/MAC addresses.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
AllenCohn
Guide

I found this link:

https://kb.netgear.com/29886/How-to-reconfigure-your-router-from-Access-Point-mode-to-default-router...

It gives me the horrible suspicion that the only way to get back to the configuration page is to paperclip reset on the thing. It can't be that user hostile, can it?

Really, the only reason I wanted to get back to the router login is so that I could have the device check for software updates in light of today's security flaw discovery. There must be some way to get this router to check for a software update (without completely resetting it to factory defaults)!

Allen

Message 2 of 12
antinode
Guru

> I've set my router up in Access Point mode [...] to a wifi cable modem
> whose wifi has broken). Now I can't get to my WNDR3700v4 router login
> page.

Ok.  That would have been a good time to arrange a new/different LAN
address for the WNDR3700v4.

> www.routerlogin.net doesn't work, nor www.routerlogin.com. No luck
> with 10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2, 10.0.0.15, (http://192.168.1.1 or
> http://192.168.0.1.

"No luck with" or "doesn't work" is not a useful problem description.
It does not say what you did.  It does not say what happened when you
did it.  As usual, showing actual actions with their actual results
(error messages, ...) can be more helpful than vague descriptions or
interpretations.  But, ...

"routerlogin.net" and its friends work only when the Netgear router
is used as a DNS server, which won't be true when it's in wireless
access-point mode.  With the usual "Get Dynamically from ISP" setting,
the LAN address of the access point will be whatever the cable
modem+router gives it (by DHCP).  (So, it's unlikely to have any ".1"
address.)  The easiest way to determine its address would be to ask the
cable modem+router about its DHCP clients (Attached Devices, DHCP
Clients, or some equivalent thing).

To avoid this uncertainty, it helps to arrange for the access point
to have a reliable IP address, which can be done in a couple of ways.
Assuming that the cable modem+router can do it (likely), then reserve an
address for the WNDR3700v4 in the cable modem+router's DHCP server
configuration.  Otherwise, assign a static LAN address to the
WNDR3700v4.  In access-point mode, I don't know it that'd be done under
WAN or LAN set-up, but it should be somewhere.  Ideally, this would be
something on the subnet of the cable modem+router, but not in its DHCP
address pool.  (You don't want the cable modem+router dispensing this
address to someone else if the WNDR3700v4 goes missing.)

> I've tried doing it over wife [...]

Could be fun.  Was she helpful?

Message 3 of 12

Message 4 of 12
AllenCohn
Guide

Michael, 

Thank you for your response. The article says that the features are "grayed out." 

That's not the problem that I'm having. I can't even get to the interface in which those options are grayed out.

Many thanks,

Allen

Message 5 of 12
AllenCohn
Guide

Antinode,

Most of the technological stuff you wrote went over my head. But it sounded like you were saying that the solution to this problem is for me to have set this up differently from the start...that I there's no way I can access the router login page now with it in its current configuration...that I have to reset and reinstall the Netgear wifi router. Is that correct?

FYI, I set up this router using its automated setup process. During that process it recommended I select "Access Point Mode." But I don't recall that it guided me to selecting a static IP address or anything else that sounds similar to what you wrote. I'm not saying you're incorrect. Just that the automated procedure didn't guide me to it, thus (apparently) leaving me with no way to ever access the router login again. 

Allen

Message 6 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Or you may want to check an IP scanner to verify the IP addresses of the devices in your network.

Through the software you will be able to see assigned IP addresses on each device you have.

Message 7 of 12
AllenCohn
Guide

Thank you for your response, Elaine.

Since you're a Netgear moderator, and thus the most "official" person who has responded, two questions:

1. To the best of your knowledge is it possible to access the router login page of an N600/WNDR3700v4 router that is in access point mode? It's not clear to me whether I am trying to do something that is impossible or whether I am merely doing it incorrectly.
  2. What is an IP scanner? Can you tell me the name of an example? If I use one, what result should I be looking for in a scan, i.e., how will the correct IP be identified in the scan?

Many thanks,

Allen

Message 8 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It is still possible to access the admin page of the router even if it's in AP mode.

If you do not know what IP address was assigned to it or you didn't assign one then your options are using an IP scanner or look at the DHCP server, in your case it could be the main router.

The DHCP server of the main router should show the IP addresses that it assigns on your devices.

You will be able to identify that it's the router since it will use the Device Name or the MAC address of the device.

One example of IP scanner is Advanced IP scanner. So again, the software will identify the devices through the device name/computer name/MAC addresses.

Message 9 of 12
antinode
Guru

> [...] there's no way I can access the router login page now with it in
> its current configuration [...]

No, but you need to find it before you can talk to it by its address.

> [...]  The easiest way to determine its address would be to ask the
> cable modem+router about its DHCP clients (Attached Devices, DHCP
> Clients, or some equivalent thing).

I know approximately nothing about your cable modem+router, so I
can't offer any specific procedure to get the desired information from
it.

Message 10 of 12
AllenCohn
Guide

Thank you, thank you, thank you, ElaineM! 

This totally worked. I downloaded and installed Advanced IP Scanner, ran a scan, found a line in the output that seemed to match my NETGEAR router, went to that address, entered the default name/password, and I was into Genie. Fantastic!

FYI, to anyone else out there with this problem (and it looked from my scans of the message boards that there were a few): the computer on which I ran the scan was connected by ethernet cable to the cable modem, not the access point and not wirelessly. I don't know if this would or would not find/connect to the NETGEAR router in access point mode if I had connected differently.

Many thanks,

Allen

Message 11 of 12
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You are very welcome.

Have a great day!

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies