× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot Replace My Old Wifi Router!

bonot1
Aspirant

Cannot Replace My Old Wifi Router!

My old wifi router (WDNR 3700) is failing.  I have used it for many years, more recently with an extender (EX6120).  We've never had any problems connecting any devices to wifi and getting internet with my old router setup.

I have tried at least 3 times to replace this router - and each time I get the same problems.  This time I am trying with WNDR4500v3 because that is the closest model to my old router.  But I have tried previously with Netgear AC routers and Orbi.  Same problem each time.  Each time I try to match my current router settings as closely as possible on the new router - and generally I am not changing anything from the defaults except Network name and password, and I play with the channels.

The problem is that devices connect to the network but do not get internet.  They aren't assigned IP addresses.  It happens randomly but consistently.  A device goes to sleep or is turned off, and when restarted it won't have internet service.  Wifi signal is strong.

I have desktop PCs (Windows 10), laptop PCs (Windows 10), phones (Android and Apple), Xboxes, printer, Smart TV etc.  I do not have too many devices, around 15.  Android phones seem to have the least problems.  My Xbox One is the worst.  I don't think these are device issues, again I have no problems with my old router.  My work laptop connects to any and all wifi networks everywhere - except consistently with a new router in my house.  Explain that!

I've tried everything I can think of.  Does anyone have any ideas?  Again I have had the same problems with every new router I try.  I must be doing something obvious wrong.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
nwaves
Guide

Re: Cannot Replace My Old Wifi Router!

Frontier FIOS bought their FIOS network from Verizon FIOS and as such works the same way: they attach your WAN MAC to your client ID. If you try to swap routers without releasing the WAN IP, which in turn let's you bind a new MAC, the new router MAC will not match the existing bind and connection will eventually drop. So you have several options:

1. If your existing router can release WAN IP, do it, disconnect the router, connect the new router and set the WAN to DHCP (or dynamic IP, depending on how it's labeled), and you're all set. The new router will get an IP and work as intended. This is the variant I prefer to use when possible.

2. If your existing router does not have the option to release the WAN IP, write down the WAN MAC address and clone it to the new router MAC address. Disconnect the existing router, connect the new router, clone the MAC and you're all set.

3. You can call Frontier tech support, tell them what you're trying to do, and if you're lucky and get to someone that knows more that to read a script, they will release the IP/MAC bind and let you bind the new modem to your account. I only use this option when everything else fails.

4. Verizon has a software that you can run on a Windows PC, and through it you can unbind the connection and bind the new router. It's a wizzard type of thing, easy to use and it works fairly well. Not sure if Frontier is using the same software or not so you'll have to figure that out yourself.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
bonot1
Aspirant

Also - adding a few more points.

I also do sometimes have the exact same problem with wired connections.

My ISP is Frontier FIOS.  And I have tried rebooting the ONT modem multiple times.

Thanks to all who read this.

Message 2 of 8

Can we start from scratch? Forget about everything else on the network.

As I understand it, you have a WNDR4500v3 that you want to set up as your router.

For a start the WNDR4500v3 is old technology. According to Netgear's manual for this device the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware. It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support 1000BASE-TX.

This bit could use some clarification:

@bonot1 wrote:

My ISP is Frontier FIOS.  And I have tried rebooting the ONT modem multiple times.

What is this modem? The make and model number?

Message 3 of 8
nwaves
Guide

Frontier FIOS bought their FIOS network from Verizon FIOS and as such works the same way: they attach your WAN MAC to your client ID. If you try to swap routers without releasing the WAN IP, which in turn let's you bind a new MAC, the new router MAC will not match the existing bind and connection will eventually drop. So you have several options:

1. If your existing router can release WAN IP, do it, disconnect the router, connect the new router and set the WAN to DHCP (or dynamic IP, depending on how it's labeled), and you're all set. The new router will get an IP and work as intended. This is the variant I prefer to use when possible.

2. If your existing router does not have the option to release the WAN IP, write down the WAN MAC address and clone it to the new router MAC address. Disconnect the existing router, connect the new router, clone the MAC and you're all set.

3. You can call Frontier tech support, tell them what you're trying to do, and if you're lucky and get to someone that knows more that to read a script, they will release the IP/MAC bind and let you bind the new modem to your account. I only use this option when everything else fails.

4. Verizon has a software that you can run on a Windows PC, and through it you can unbind the connection and bind the new router. It's a wizzard type of thing, easy to use and it works fairly well. Not sure if Frontier is using the same software or not so you'll have to figure that out yourself.

Message 4 of 8
bonot1
Aspirant

Thank you, nwaves!  I will try your solution tonight.  I will also share the ONT modem specifics.

Message 5 of 8
bonot1
Aspirant

I was able to release the IP from my old router.  Then I also completely rebooted the FIOS modem - removed the battery pack and everything.  Then I installed the new router.  Thus far, it hasn't seemed to fix my problems.  But I am going to reset the new router and start over tomorrow night.

BTW the FIOS modem is Arris ONT1000-PS1-2G.

Message 6 of 8
bonot1
Aspirant

I reset the WNDR4500v3 wifi router tonight, and now everything is working great!  Thank you, your suggestion definitely helped.  As I was playing around and testing connections, I think I found what the problem was/is.  Frontier also has a WAN router connected (wired) into the wifi router, which services my cable boxes.  As soon as I connected that WAN router, IP addresses started dropping from my connected PCs and a chunk of my bandwidth was gone.  I'm not technical, so I don't know why this WAN router would cause such a problem.  There are many hours I will never get back trying to install new wifi routers and apparently this dumb thing provided by Frontier was causing the problem.  No one from Frontier support or Netgear support ever suggested this.  Ughh!  Anyway I seem to be all good now.

Message 7 of 8

@bonot1 wrote:

As soon as I connected that WAN router, IP addresses started dropping from my connected PCs and a chunk of my bandwidth was gone.  I'm not technical, so I don't know why this WAN router would cause such a problem. 

You probably had two routers on the network, a great way of making people go prematurely grey. That's why you were asked about the modem. You didn't mention the Frontier WAN router, or we might have saved some of your lost life.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7