× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot connect with VPN server (PPTP protocol) through Netgear R6400 - error 806

przemekjacko
Aspirant

Cannot connect with VPN server (PPTP protocol) through Netgear R6400 - error 806

Hi. I recently switched from an old TPLink router and bought a Netgear R6400 wifi router with hopes to boost my home wifi performance.

Before that I easily could connect through my work VPN connection over PPTP. After switching to Netgear I have all the time error 806 (no support for GRE protocol).

I read some info about that and decided to set up the port forwarding: I choose my laptop IP address and set external and internal ports on 1723.

I also checked on the Respond to Ping on Internet Port.

Later on I also set up the Default DMZ Server on my laptop IP address.

Still - I cannot connect with my VPN connection that was working previously and I know it works fine in different enviroment.

Beside that - I have in my office all setups on DHCP and working on static IP isn`t the best solution either.

Right now I`m wondering what I`m doing wrong? Or maybe I should be dissapointed with Netgear for not supporting typical VPN pass-through?

Please help and point me some directions.

My current firmware is: V1.0.1.22_1.0.17

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
przemekjacko
Aspirant

Re: Cannot connect with VPN server (PPTP protocol) through Netgear R6400 - error 806

Hi!

I received PM form Netgear suuport team after some time but we managed to arrange a call. Through a phone line I received instructions to install a TeamViewer for remote desktop and we checked settings on my router. In the end it has turned out that the VPN issue was caused not by router itself but by my service provider - later they told that through some security hole in Microsoft software they were recently severe hacked and they decided to close ports very tightly.

After a small change in settings on the provider side a Netgear router pushed VPN connection easily.

And I turned out to be a total rookie that hadn`t checked direct connection through cable without router in the first place :))

Problem solved. Thanks guys for the help!

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Cannot connect with VPN server (PPTP protocol) through Netgear R6400 - error 806

Hi @przemekjacko,

I have sent you a message. Please check your inbox.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 2 of 4
przemekjacko
Aspirant

Yes, I have received a PM message. After reply I`m still waiting for further instructions.

Message 3 of 4
przemekjacko
Aspirant

Hi!

I received PM form Netgear suuport team after some time but we managed to arrange a call. Through a phone line I received instructions to install a TeamViewer for remote desktop and we checked settings on my router. In the end it has turned out that the VPN issue was caused not by router itself but by my service provider - later they told that through some security hole in Microsoft software they were recently severe hacked and they decided to close ports very tightly.

After a small change in settings on the provider side a Netgear router pushed VPN connection easily.

And I turned out to be a total rookie that hadn`t checked direct connection through cable without router in the first place :))

Problem solved. Thanks guys for the help!

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7