× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to Change WAN IP Address

belvita999
Star

How to Change WAN IP Address

C7000 Nighthawk - AC1900. Firmware Version: V1.01.34

I am trying to change my WAN IP address (my public IP address, not the private addresses). 

Some information: 

• I called my ISP and they said my public IP is assigned dynamically
  • I have power cycled my modem in intervals of 1 minute, 10 minutes, and 8 hours, without the WAN IP address changing.
  • I have tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. This did not change the WAN IP address
  • I am not going to MAC address clone.

So...how do I change my WAN IP address? Thank you!

Model: C7000|Nighthawk - AC1900 WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 26

Accepted Solutions
belvita999
Star

Re: How to Change WAN IP Address

No problem. The issue with my setup was that I was using a router/modem combo. To fix my problem, I had to buy a dedicated router, and switch the modem/router combo to only modem mode. 

After I had one dedicated modem and one dedicated router, I was able to mac address clone the router (or change the routers MAC address). Once I changed the routers MAC address, my public IP address changed. I can repeat this process whenever I want.

You can buy a router for ~$50. MAC address cloning is the easiest way to change your public IP address. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 26

All Replies
antinode
Guru

> I am trying to change my WAN IP address [...]

Why?  Your (unspecified) ISP determines that.

> o I have tried ipconfig /release and ipconfig /renew. [...]

Where?  On the C7000 or on some Windows system?

> [...] This did not change the WAN IP address

Not amazing.

> o I am not going to MAC address clone.

Because?

> So...how do I change my WAN IP address? [...]

Talk to your ISP?  Reverse your decision on the MAC address?

Message 2 of 26
belvita999
Star

My ISP is Xfinity. 

I've tried to release and renew the lease both on my pc and on my modem.

Sorry for the confusion, I meant I CANT MAC address clone since the modem (C7000) doesn't offer the feature . However, if there is another way to MAC address clone, I would totally be willing to do so.

I've talked to the ISP many times and all they say is that the IP should change "from time to time". I've had the same dynamic IP for many years, and I've tried many times to change it, but it's very sticky.

Thanks for the reply.

Message 3 of 26
antinode
Guru

> Sorry for the confusion, [...]

Same here.  I was thinking of my DSL modem+router, which does allow
the user to change the router MAC address.  Cable-TV ISPs depend on
modems having unique (and fixed) MAC addresses for access control.  They
don't want your neighbor tapping into your cable and having his modem
impersonate your modem.

> [...] but it's very sticky.

If you can't persuade your ISP to jostle things a little, then you
might be doomed.

Message 4 of 26
belvita999
Star

I think the best option would be to only use my C7000 as a modem, and buy a dedicated router, like an AC1000, so I could use MAC address cloning and overall have more control over my internet. 

Thanks for the help. 

Message 5 of 26
Bobbafett
Aspirant

Did you ever figure out how to do this? I feel as if I’m in the same boat. Could use any help as I’m sure you know this is a massive headache haha!
Message 6 of 26
belvita999
Star

No problem. The issue with my setup was that I was using a router/modem combo. To fix my problem, I had to buy a dedicated router, and switch the modem/router combo to only modem mode. 

After I had one dedicated modem and one dedicated router, I was able to mac address clone the router (or change the routers MAC address). Once I changed the routers MAC address, my public IP address changed. I can repeat this process whenever I want.

You can buy a router for ~$50. MAC address cloning is the easiest way to change your public IP address. 

Message 7 of 26
Bobbafett
Aspirant

I appreciate the quick response! I’m very inexperienced with the whole cloning thing. So when I get a router would I then connect this to the modem I put in bridge mode? Also by cloning the router Mac does that mean login to the router and check the Mac and clone it to to the modem or do you enter a different Mac ? I don’t think I understand the process completely to be honest.
Message 8 of 26
belvita999
Star

No problem. I'm not a professional, but I'll try and give the best answer I can based off of my experience.

After you buy and setup the router, here's what I did.

1. Make sure the modem is running in modem only mode, and make sure the router is running in router only mode. (To answer your question, you don't have to put the modem/router into bridge mode). 

2. Log into the router, and find the mac address section. Then change a few numbers/letters in the MAC address field. 

3. Restart the router and modem, and you'll have a new IP. 

Message 9 of 26
Bobbafett
Aspirant

I have Xfinity if this helps.

1. Do you know how to make sure modem is in modem only mode? I thought bridge mode was the way to make it modem only/connect to the router.

2. Also when setting up the router do I connect it via Ethernet to the modem or does it connect Via WiFi?

3.some of these answers may be answered when I get a router. (Tmrw hopefully) but as well as setting up the router do you have to enter all the same credentials from your modem into the router or does it recognize the connection and essentially you just control your network from the router?

I’m not sure exactly how much sense I’m making to anyone but myself. Sorry I’m advanced but again appreciate your quick responses immensely!
Message 10 of 26
belvita999
Star

1. what modem do you have now? If I could have the model name that would help.

2. via ethernet cable which is normally provided when you buy the router.

3. It's essentially the same as when you have the router/modem combo, except now all the networking settings are done from the router. What route model did you buy? 

Message 11 of 26
Bobbafett
Aspirant

I have the XB7-CM Xfinity modem/router. I don’t know which router to buy right now to be honest I’m looking. I have gig up W/Xfinity, so I need one to cover that speed. Looking at a lot of net gear routers. Also going for what’s in stock or amazons fast lol
Message 12 of 26
belvita999
Star

Sorry, you will have to turn on bridge mode per this article: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

Once you turn on bridge mode, install the router that you bought (if you tell me a price range I can help find a router). After you install the router, change the MAC address, and you're good to go!

Message 13 of 26
Bobbafett
Aspirant

Again I really appreciate your help/quick responses!
Under $200 would be idle and obviously doable, just don’t know which one.

Also I do understand that turning on bridge mode will disable WiFi from the Xfinity modem/router, so this is why I want to get a good router for WiFi usage. That would be correct right ?
Message 14 of 26
belvita999
Star

Yes, if you turn on bridge mode, the Xfinity router/modem wouldn't be transmitting the wifi signal. The router would transmit the wifi, so if you want a large range and fast speeds, it would be good to get a quality router. 

Message 15 of 26
Bobbafett
Aspirant

Would I also then be plugging the Ethernet from my Pc to the router at this point as well? Or keep it in the modem?
Message 16 of 26
belvita999
Star

Ethernet would go into the router. The modem wouldn't do anything except forward the signal from your ISP to the router. 

Message 17 of 26
Bobbafett
Aspirant

Hopefully this one will do. Best bang for the buck. What do you think of this one ?

Link below:

Limited-time deal: TP-Link AC4000 Tri-Band WiFi Router (Archer A20) -MU-MIMO, VPN Server, 1.8GHz CPU, Gigabit Ports, Beamforming, Link Aggregation https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084HLB7LJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_61R5Q3NPGZ53S6000M76
Message 18 of 26
Bobbafett
Aspirant

I Actually Ordered this one.

Link Below Again:

ASUS WiFi 6 Router (RT-AX3000) - Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Internet Router, Gaming & Streaming, AiMesh Compatible, Included Lifetime Internet Security, Parental Control, MU-MIMO, OFDMA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084BNH26P/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_BDF794DSMSGAV4GC3W3T?_encoding=UTF8...
Message 19 of 26
belvita999
Star

Looks good! After you setup the router and get your internet working like normal, your IP should change. 

If you want to change your IP whenever you want, you can MAC address clone. Here's a guide by ASUS: https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1044003

Message 20 of 26
Bobbafett
Aspirant

I really appreciate you taking your time to help with links for the router I bought. That’s very genuine and much appreciated! I am getting it today before 3pm it’s 11 now I’m on est time. I will definitely let you know how it goes! And of course if I have any questions and possibly you having answers haha!
Message 21 of 26
Bobbafett
Aspirant

IM ATTACHING PICS OF MAC CLONE (i only change the last two numbers in pic, unplugged modem, Clicked save, then turned modem back on) i have everything setup up and the router is working with internet. i tried the clone and ip did not change. Which Leads me To  another question..

did you do this with ethernet connection (ethernet ip)??

or with Wifi (wifi ip)??

Message 22 of 26
belvita999
Star

I'd follow this guide: https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1044003.

But basically:

1. Change the MAC address and click apply.

2. Unplug both the router and modem for ~1 minute.

3. Plug the router and modem back in and wait ~1 minute. 

4. Check to make sure your public IP address changed. 

Message 23 of 26
Bobbafett
Aspirant

so change the mac and let it process/load and then turn off the router & Modem or turn them off while it loads. i tried just turning off the modem and then clicked apply for clone and turned modem back on. maybe waitng for the clone to finish wouldve helped.. i will try again and get back to you, thanks again for all the help!

Message 24 of 26
Bobbafett
Aspirant

yep, this did not change my wan ip unfortunately. im not sure what i could be doing wrong, it should still be possible ive made sure its an dynamic ip with xfinity. any ideas ill upload pic of wan panel on admin website of router (SEE PIC)  

Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 8 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7