× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

How to setup Netgear WNCE2001

squawk1200a
Aspirant

How to setup Netgear WNCE2001

I am trying to resurrect an old Netgear WNCE2001 that someone installed for me on my Yamaha grand piano Disklavier about 8-9 years ago. I've got it plugged into power, an Ethernet cable into my laptop, and the manual says that when I fire up my browser it will go to the setup page.

No it does not. Since the manual also says to disconnect from my home network, wired or wireless, my browser can't go to ANY web page.

So how do you get to this thing to get it setup, or is it just too old to be useful anymore?

Model: WNCE2001|Universal WiFi Internet Adapter|EOL
Message 1 of 7
plemans
Guru

Re: How to setup Netgear WNCE2001

did you try setting it up using wps?

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/WNCE2001.aspx

Message 2 of 7
squawk1200a
Aspirant

Contrary to what the manual says, when I press the WPS button, the WLAN light does not turn amber or any other color. The LAN light is green but the WLAN light remains off.

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

try factory resetting the wnce2001. 

then when you connect a pc/laptop to it (disabe the wifi on that device) try to navigate to the mywifiext . net page

Not sure what device your trying to use but that adapter was approved up to windows xp. xp was the newest at that time. 

So it might be a little futile to try to get to work. 

A cheap wireless extender with ethernet port might be a faster/more stable option

Message 4 of 7
squawk1200a
Aspirant

Thanks. Tried the reset, same results. I guess I wish Netgear would put out some kind of "no longer supported, no longer works" notice on hardware that is too old to have it work correctly. This kind of dims my view of using Netgear products in the future based on this poor experience.

Message 5 of 7
plemans
Guru

@squawk1200a wrote:This kind of dims my view of using Netgear products in the future based on this poor experience.

Your complaning because netgear hasn't updated a part that was made 12 years ago and was designed when windows XP was running. 

Even windows quits supporting OS's. You can't expect a company to update products that old. And I'm sorry, but I haven't seen any other networking company support devices that old either. 

And your description of the problem you're getting doesn't help much. 

Message 6 of 7

@squawk1200a wrote:

I guess I wish Netgear would put out some kind of "no longer supported, no longer works" notice on hardware that is too old to have it work correctly.

It does.The clue is in your "footer", the bit under your first message:

The label EOL means End of Life. Not as clear as it might be, I agree, but it is there.

In any case, it isn't a router so you aren't likely to get much help in a section given over to General WiFi Routers (Non-Nighthawk and Non-Orbi).

Did you try this simple trick?

Search - NETGEAR Communities – WNCE2001

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7