× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

I want to set up the router without connecting to my mac

ebisbing
Aspirant

I want to set up the router without connecting to my mac

How can I do this?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: I want to set up the router without connecting to my mac

@ebisbing Initial setup and best way to configure the router is to have an ethernet connection between the router and computer then router connects to the modem.

Once the router has been configured correctly, you can then disconnect the ethernet cable from the computer and use that computer to connect wirelessly.

You will just have to make sure that the router is configured and connected correctly to the modem.

The proper setup to make things work is to have the modem connected specifically to the WAN/Internet port on the router.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @ebisbing,

Welcome to the community!

Once you have joined your Macintosh to the wireless network broadcasted by the router, it will automatically connect to it.

In order to remove it from auto connecting, you may tell the Mac computer to forget the wireless network.

To remove it from the wireless network, check this link.

Let us know what happens.

Message 2 of 6
ebisbing
Aspirant

I probably didn't explain what I wanted very clearly.  Wording is difficult.  I have an old mac mini on my desk top which is where the modem and router are .  The router is connected via ethernet cord to the mac mini.  If you unplug that ethernet cord - there is no wifi.  I think this mac mini will die soon or need to be replaced.  I would rather not do that.  I have a laptop.  But, if I take the laptop away and this ethernet cord is not connected to a computer - the way it is  - I don't think we will have wifi.  

When you follow the set up instructions they say there is a way not to have it connected to the pc/mac.  How can I do that so I don't have to have a desk top computer any more? Is there a way?

Message 3 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ebisbing Initial setup and best way to configure the router is to have an ethernet connection between the router and computer then router connects to the modem.

Once the router has been configured correctly, you can then disconnect the ethernet cable from the computer and use that computer to connect wirelessly.

You will just have to make sure that the router is configured and connected correctly to the modem.

The proper setup to make things work is to have the modem connected specifically to the WAN/Internet port on the router.

Message 4 of 6
ebisbing
Aspirant

It worked.  Thanks!  I did it.

Message 5 of 6
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ebisbing Thank you for the update! Glad it worked smoothly.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7