× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Internet light is orange, but internet works fine?

Aikarion
Aspirant

Internet light is orange, but internet works fine?

Hey everyone,

I'm having a problem with my router that started happening after I moved to a new place. When plugged in, All lights turn Green except the Internet Light, Which remains orange. Not even the instructions for my router explain what it constantly remaining orange means. Other posts having similar issues state that they can't access their internet at all. The difference for me is that everything seems to be working fine. I can access internet on both wireless and wired connections. I am truly stumped as to what's causing the orange internet light.

Things I've tried:

• Factory Reset the Router.
  • Testing different Cat6 cable.
  • Contacting ISP (Fiber Optic, No issues detected on their side)
  • Buying a new router (Same problem, Internet light stays orange)
  • Updating to latest firmware.
  • Verfied that Routerlogin.net > Advanced > Internet Port > has an IP address attached.

I can safely say that before the move, The light always remained green. Someone mentioned in another post that it was something to do with the router telling you that you have devices connected that are not capable of hitting Gigabit speeds. The exact model of my router is an R6120.

Thanks for any help that can be given regarding this issue, I've searched everywhere and have found nothing.

Model: R6100|AC1200 Dual Band Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions

Re: Internet light is orange, but internet works fine?

Maybe you just have to live with it. You seem to have tried everything.

Oh, dear just noticed this. According to Netgear's manual for this device the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware.It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support 1000BASE-TX.

I'd lay money on your internet connection being faster than 100 Mbps.

This is a basic and inexpensive router. Time for a replacement.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 6

All Replies

@Aikarion wrote:

I'm having a problem with my router that started happening after I moved to a new place. When plugged in, All lights turn Green except the Internet Light, Which remains orange.

That is a sign that it is not connecting to the internet.

There is a manual for the R6100 somewhere at the end of this link:

>>>> R6100 | Product | Support | NETGEAR <<<<

See Front panel LED descriptions.

It might also help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

Message 2 of 6
Aikarion
Aspirant

Hey! Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, There is no modem. The internet is Fiberoptic. Its a straight Cat6 from the wall to the outside box where its converted from fiber to cat6. I have no access to this box.

With that being said, I'm still able to pull and access internet through the router with no issues even though the light is orange.

Message 3 of 6

Maybe you just have to live with it. You seem to have tried everything.

Oh, dear just noticed this. According to Netgear's manual for this device the LAN and WAN support only 10BASE-T or 100BASE-TX. That makes it slower than many newer internet services and most modern network hardware.It also slows down whatever is going on in your local network. Newer devices support 1000BASE-TX.

I'd lay money on your internet connection being faster than 100 Mbps.

This is a basic and inexpensive router. Time for a replacement.

Message 4 of 6
Aikarion
Aspirant

Yes, The internet is faster than 100Mbps. Or, It can be. So its orange because the internet is faster than the router can handle? I'm only paying for 100 up/down, and its "Restricted" to that speed on the ISP side. With that being said, If I wanted I could easily be paying for gigabit speeds. I just can't see why I'd ever need more than 100Mbps. I've yet to run into a bottleneck with videos, gaming, or any form of streaming.

Message 5 of 6

@Aikarion wrote:

I'm only paying for 100 up/down, and its "Restricted" to that speed on the ISP side. With that being said, If I wanted I could easily be paying for gigabit speeds. I just can't see why I'd ever need more than 100Mbps. I've yet to run into a bottleneck with videos, gaming, or any form of streaming.

I'm with you on the much vaunted "need for speed". I get ~65Mbps (VDSL) and never sense that the speed is slowing internet things down.

But there is one further thing to consider. You say that you pay for 100 Mbps. There is a chance that there is a bit of headroom on top of that 100 Mbps. It won't be a lot, maybe as much as 10 Mbps, and not worth buying a new router. Maybe the orange light is saying. "You are throttling me."

My main concern would be that the limit on my local network is 100 Mbps. I have a couple of PCs always on and half a dozen network storage devices and other stuff. I do notice slowdowns in moving stuff between devices if I use anything stuck at 100 Mbps.

But my network is for work, with a lot of things happening.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7