× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

My WNR2000v3 router no longer requires a password. How do I fix that?

Quixota
Aspirant

My WNR2000v3 router no longer requires a password. How do I fix that?

I set up the router on my Dell PC and my iPad and iPhone.  I did set up a password.  After quite some time, I noticed that it was no longer secure.  I can find all kinds of info on how to CHANGE a password but none on how to ADD one.  Note: I am fairly computer-literate but greatly prefer being over-instructed rather than under-instructed.  Thanks!
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Quixota
Aspirant

Re: My WNR2000v3 router no longer requires a password. How do I fix that?

Yeehaw!  It let me go through those steps after I gave it the serial number again.  I didn't have to tell my igadgets to forget; they went to the "new" network all by themselves.  Thank you so much!  I can't tell you how much better I feel.   

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Welcome to the community, @Quixota

If you have selected any of the Security Options then you have a wireless password enabled.

Which security option have you selected?

Your devices should be asked for wireless security whenever you changed it.

I suggest that you change the wireless security and have the devices forget the connection and then reconnect it to the wireless network.

How do I change my NETGEAR router WiFi password or network name (SSID)?

Message 2 of 9
Quixota
Aspirant

Thank you!  Unfortunately, I have no idea what security option I may have chosen or how to change that.  Apple is also telling me to configure the router and change its name but I don't know how or where to do so.  Apple does show me the option to Forget This Network.  Sorry to be so ignorant but it's been quite some time since I installed this.

Message 3 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You may follow the steps from the link that I had given and you will see the security options enabled.

Message 4 of 9
Quixota
Aspirant

I can't log in to that site.  I tried multiple times (before asking for help) using my email address, usual username, admin; password and the password I believe I gave it originally.  Nothing worked.  I did manage to change my Netgear pasword at mynetgear, but that won't log in to this site either.  Now I am getting an error message: 401 Unauthorized, saying "access to this resource is denied, your client has not supplied the correct authentication."  it offers to help me recover the router's admin password by typing in the serial number.  I'm paranoid: is this offer legit or not?  Thanks again for your help.

Message 5 of 9
Quixota
Aspirant

Fo some reason my iPad is not showing all our communications.  I said I can't log on as you suggested, not using admin/password, nor my email address, nor my current username/password for netgear, nor the 192 route.  Woukd it be possible to resolve this problem by telling my igadgets to Forget This Network and then run the Setup disk again?  Thanks. 

Message 6 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It is true that it will ask you to type in the Serial Number whenever you want to recover the password.

The last resort to do to regain access is that you will need to reset the router. There's a physical button that you need to push in order to reset it.

Now, if you reset the router all settings configured to it right now will be wiped out.

As a suggestion, try to use the serial number option first and see if you will be able to access the page of the router.

Message 7 of 9
Quixota
Aspirant

Yeehaw!  It let me go through those steps after I gave it the serial number again.  I didn't have to tell my igadgets to forget; they went to the "new" network all by themselves.  Thank you so much!  I can't tell you how much better I feel.   

Message 8 of 9
ElaineM
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Great job! Enjoy your connection now.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7