× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R6220 AC1200 Wireless internet dropping constantly

shabalaba
Tutor

Netgear R6220 AC1200 Wireless internet dropping constantly

Hello, my wireless internet hasn't worked well for months. I get fast speeds when connected via ethernet, the issue is with the wireless connection. I called Netgear and they confirmed it is the router. My connection drops multiple times a day and I get kicked off my server for work. I get an average of 10mbps. There is nothing obstructing the router, even when right next to it my connection is bad. I have updated my router to the latest version, V1.1.0.100_1.0.1; tried power cycling; manually changing the wireless channels, nothing has worked. Please help! How can I fix this? Thanks!

Model: R6220|AC1200 Smart WiFi Router with External Antennas
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear R6220 AC1200 Wireless internet dropping constantly

What modem/gateway do you have? 

are you connected using 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 2.4ghz is much much slower and sensitive to interference than 5ghz. 

You can also use a wireless channel scanner like inssider or acrylic wifi scan to see what channels for 2.4ghz and 5ghz would be best to use/least congested. 

have you tried updating the firmware to version 1.1.0.104? I'd try updating to that over a hardwired connection, factory resetting, and then reinstalling. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6220.aspx

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

What modem/gateway do you have? 

are you connected using 2.4ghz or 5ghz? 2.4ghz is much much slower and sensitive to interference than 5ghz. 

You can also use a wireless channel scanner like inssider or acrylic wifi scan to see what channels for 2.4ghz and 5ghz would be best to use/least congested. 

have you tried updating the firmware to version 1.1.0.104? I'd try updating to that over a hardwired connection, factory resetting, and then reinstalling. https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R6220.aspx

Message 2 of 6
shabalaba
Tutor

Hi @plemans , thank you for your help.
I have a ARRIS SURFboard SB6121 modem.
I have updated the firmware to version V1.1.0.104_1.0.1. and factory reset the router.
I previously used a different a wireless channel scanner, and tried various channels, but that did not improve my connection speed. I’m curious, does choosing a set channel based on congestion fix the issue? Wouldn’t the least congested channel change automatically as most people have their Channel set to Auto? I have downloaded Acrylic wifi scan, but now that I am connected to 5ghz, it’s showing multiple channels (36+40+44+48), I’m not sure what that means.
I was using 2.4ghz, but just discovered how to switch to 5ghz. Now the speed on my cell phone is very fast, but my laptop is still slow. Is there something I’m missing?

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

@shabalaba wrote:

Hi @plemans , thank you for your help.
I have a ARRIS SURFboard SB6121 modem.
I have updated the firmware to version V1.1.0.104_1.0.1. and factory reset the router.----awesome
I previously used a different a wireless channel scanner, and tried various channels, but that did not improve my connection speed. I’m curious, does choosing a set channel based on congestion fix the issue? Wouldn’t the least congested channel change automatically as most people have their Channel set to Auto?---for some the a auto feature works well. Others, its better to have a set channel. it all depends on how well it works.  I have downloaded Acrylic wifi scan, but now that I am connected to 5ghz, it’s showing multiple channels (36+40+44+48), I’m not sure what that means.---5ghz is a "wider" broadcast channel so it overlaps on more channels. Its why it shows multiple channels. Its normal. 
I was using 2.4ghz, but just discovered how to switch to 5ghz. Now the speed on my cell phone is very fast, but my laptop is still slow. Is there something I’m missing?----Not trying to be sarcastic but just an understanding of wifi. 2.4ghz is a much much slower network and more sensitive to interference. 5ghz is much faster but doesn't broadcast as far or through as much materials. 

What speeds do you actually get over 2.4ghz? and 5ghz? 

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 6
shabalaba
Tutor

Hi @plemans, thanks so much for your help. My computer is much faster now that I'm on 5ghz (and updated and factory reset I'm guessing). I think it took overnight for it to kick in, but now I'm getting speeds I've never gotten before (80-100mbps). Thanks!

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

Hope it stays working great for you!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements