× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear R6220 router vs ARRIS T25 cable modem

Inetwl
Aspirant

Netgear R6220 router vs ARRIS T25 cable modem

Hello,

I have an ARRIS T25 cable modem.  It is hardcoded to the address of 192.168.100.1.

I have a Netgear R6220 router that I would like to attach to the modem. This implies that one side of the router is 192.168.100.xxx, and the other side is 192.168.LAN.1. The R6220 firmware version is V1.1.0.50_1.0.1.

* The T25 modem works fine if I plug a PC into it directly, for surfing the Internet.

* The router works fine if I plug a PC into it directly, to contact other devices on the LAN.

However, the PC that is plugged into the router will not ping anything on the Internet.

The PC is obtaining an IP address automatically, and it is obtaining a DNS server address automatically. It has gateways that are 192.168.100.1 and 192.168.LAN.1.

My question is, how do I make a PC (that is plugged into the router) ping anything that is on the Internet side of the modem? I get the impression that I have missed a setting somewhere…

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Netgear R6220 router vs ARRIS T25 cable modem

The arris t25 has 2x ethernet ports on the back of it. The vast majority of ISP's only support 1 device connected to it. 

Reason why is most consumer accounts they only allocate 1 public ip address for it. Its then on the router to allocate private ip addresses. 

So unplug everything from the t25 and power it and the router off. 

Wait 2 minutes. 

Power the modem back on with nothing plugged in. 

Wait 2 minutes. 

Plug the router into port 1 on the modem. 

Then power the router on and wait 2 minutes. 

Attempt setup/usage of the router. 

Make sure nothing else is plugged into the t25 or it can allocate that 1 public ip address to that device and not the router. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
plemans
Guru

The arris t25 has 2x ethernet ports on the back of it. The vast majority of ISP's only support 1 device connected to it. 

Reason why is most consumer accounts they only allocate 1 public ip address for it. Its then on the router to allocate private ip addresses. 

So unplug everything from the t25 and power it and the router off. 

Wait 2 minutes. 

Power the modem back on with nothing plugged in. 

Wait 2 minutes. 

Plug the router into port 1 on the modem. 

Then power the router on and wait 2 minutes. 

Attempt setup/usage of the router. 

Make sure nothing else is plugged into the t25 or it can allocate that 1 public ip address to that device and not the router. 

Message 2 of 3
Inetwl
Aspirant

I also did a factory reset on the Netgear router, and let the Genie navigate to the Internet through the T25.  I have connectivity now.  The connectivity persisted even after changing the IP address away from the default.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7