× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Printing over WiFi to an Ethernet network printer

BillPet
Aspirant

Printing over WiFi to an Ethernet network printer

I have a Canon MF4880dw network printer connected to my Netgear AC1750 Model R6400 router via an Ethernet cable. Network printing works fine over Ethernet wired connections, but I have not been able to print over WiFi.  How do I get my laptop to "find" the printer to install it so I can print over WiFi? Using the "find printer" functions in Windows 10 or with the Canon software hasn't worked.

Thanks

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10

Accepted Solutions
BillPet
Aspirant

Re: Printing over WiFi to an Ethernet network printer

Apologies to those who tried to help. I'm afraid that I wasted your time. I did NOT have my printer connected via Ethernet, so of course, wireless devices couldn't find it over the network.

When I bought the printer in 2014 I originally connected it with an Ethernet cable to my router that I had at the time, but sometime after I bouught the Netgear R6400 router in 2015 I changed to a USB cable to the new router (due to a shortage of Ethernet ports) and used the Netgear printer server software to print over the wired network. Forgot that. I left the Ethernet cable plugged into the printer, but didn't check to see if the OTHER end was still plugged in to the router. Duh.

I have switched back to an Ethernet cable connection to the router and all is well now.

Thanks for your help and support. Sorry to have taken your time.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 10

All Replies

Have you set up the printer to see the wifi?

Does your printer work with the the Canon Network Tool?

Message 2 of 10
BillPet
Aspirant

Hi michaelkenward:

Thanks for your reply. I think that my question was unclear. I'm not asking for help with connecting my printer to the Netgear router via WiFi. It is already connected by an Ethernet cable, and that kind of connection is fine with me. What I need help with is printing on that Ethernet network printer from a laptop (or other device) that is connected to the router via WiFi.

Is there some setting in the router (firewall, etc?) that blocks/allows Ethernet network printing via WiFi? What am I missing?

Thanks

Message 3 of 10
VE6CGX
Master

Disconnect cable, set up the printer from printer wireless set up wizard.  You do it from printer control panel. No manuals? Go to Canon site and check FAQ there.

Wireless connection is not a plug and play. If you are not sure try Youtube showing how to set up wireless printer.

Message 4 of 10

You will still have to set the network sharing ability up on the printer.

Canon Knowledge Base - Basic Network Settings (MF4890dw/MF4880dw/MF4770n Only)

The router just does LAN, unless you need to assign a fixed IP address.

Message 5 of 10

@VE6CGX wrote:

Disconnect cable, set up the printer from printer wireless set up wizard.

He wants LAN.

But the same approach still applies. Forget the router, play with the printer.

Message 6 of 10
BillPet
Aspirant

Thanks guys: 

Let's try a hypothetical situation. Suppose that I owned a network computer that did NOT offer a WiFi connection and the only connection available was a wired Ethernet connection to the router. Are either of you saying that in such a situation it would be IMPOSSIBLE for a computer connected to the Netgear router via WiFi to print on that wired Ethernet printer? 

Michael Kinward is correct, I am happy  with my wired LAN connection to my printer since I can print just fine from a wired Ethernet LAN computer. My problem is printing from a computer connected to the router by WiFi.

Michael, I can share my printer over the network just fine if the computer is ALSO connected by an Ethernet cable to the router. I didn't read every word of the Canon Knowledge Base article that you linked, but I did not see instructions on how to set the printer up so that it can not only communicate with printers that are connected to the router by Ethernet, but also with computers that are connected to the router by WiFi.  How would a setting in the printer allow the printer to differentiate whether a computer is connected to the Netgear router by wired Ethernet or WiFi?

Sorry if I seem dense. My question is: If I have a wired Ethernet LAN printer connected to the Netgear R6400 router, can I get a laptop (tablet, etc) that is connected to the router via WiFi to recongize that printer and print to that printer. If so, how?

Thanks again.

Message 7 of 10
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @BillPet,

1. What is the firmware version of the router?

2. Are the wireless devices experiencing the issue when connected via 2.4GHz/5GHz or both?

3. Are the wireless devices able to ping the printer's IP?

4. Please try re-installing the printer drivers on the wireless device/s.

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 8 of 10
BillPet
Aspirant

Apologies to those who tried to help. I'm afraid that I wasted your time. I did NOT have my printer connected via Ethernet, so of course, wireless devices couldn't find it over the network.

When I bought the printer in 2014 I originally connected it with an Ethernet cable to my router that I had at the time, but sometime after I bouught the Netgear R6400 router in 2015 I changed to a USB cable to the new router (due to a shortage of Ethernet ports) and used the Netgear printer server software to print over the wired network. Forgot that. I left the Ethernet cable plugged into the printer, but didn't check to see if the OTHER end was still plugged in to the router. Duh.

I have switched back to an Ethernet cable connection to the router and all is well now.

Thanks for your help and support. Sorry to have taken your time.

Message 9 of 10

@BillPet wrote:

Odd. My printer does not do Ethernet. But it does print over wifi. So Ethernet is not a prerequisite for wifi printing. I guess it depends on the model.

Playing around lately, I have found that setting up a wifi printer is not the easiest thing I have done lately.

And Canon's documentation and support apps are clunky to say the least.

In my case, the printer works with a wifi connection to the modem/router. I can then print to the printer with a wifi link to the router.

Glad it worked out. It just shows that not two printers, or networks, are the same.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7