× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

R6300 v1 Cannot Connect Directly to Cable Modem Anymore

sunnyoc
Aspirant

R6300 v1 Cannot Connect Directly to Cable Modem Anymore

I had used a R6300 v1 router with an old cable modem, Motorola SB5100, for over 4 years without any problem.

A couple of weeks ago, the internet LED on R6300 went out. I thought it might be an ethernet cable problem and tried different cables, both straight and crossover. The light went back on, but stayed at amber color. Of course, there was not internet connection between the modem and the router.

As an emergency measure, I pulled out an old 54G router and connected it to the cable modem with a different straight ethernet cable. I got the internet back. So the cable modem was still OK and the original yellow Netgear ethernet cable was broken for sure.

Out of curiosity, I connected the WAN port on the R6300 to a LAN port on the 54G router with an ethernet cable. Surprisingly, the internet LED on R6300 became green and I had internet connection again on R6300 router, both wired and wireless. Either straight or crossover ethernet cable worked this way.

Now, I'm basically using the 54G router as a switch for R6300. While this setup works, I am wondering what could be wrong with my R6300 router. Is the original yellow Netgear ethernet cable somthing special?  Or, there is a hardware problem inside the router.

Model: R6300v1|Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Router - 802.11ac
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: R6300 v1 Cannot Connect Directly to Cable Modem Anymore

Hi @sunnyoc,

Try MAC spoofing on the R6300. Check the link below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1086

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11

All Replies
William10a
Master

Did you reboot both the router and modem sometimes you need to restart both to clear a problem if the modem and router lose power or have a problem?

Message 2 of 11
sunnyoc
Aspirant

Yes, I did this many many times. I also reset the router once. Still, the R6300 router wouldn't talk to the cable modem directly.

Message 3 of 11

Did your reboot do things in the recommended order?

• Turn off and unplug the modem.
  • Turn off the modem router and computers.
  • Plug in the modem and turn it on. Wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the modem router and wait 2 minutes.
  • Turn on the computers.

It seems that this is important as it means that things take control of their settings in the right order and don't get their configurations in a twist.

Message 4 of 11
sunnyoc
Aspirant

Yes, I did all these.

Message 5 of 11
William10a
Master

Any lights lighting up on the router and you are getting internet if you connect a computer direct to the modem right?

Try this plug the lan from the modem into any free lan port on the router and see if the light lights up for that port if so you could have dead internet port if not a possible bad lan cable. I know the router will not use the lan port as internet but the switch in the router should act like a network switch and pass a signal to the other  lan ports of the router under netgears firmware.

If you can make your lan cables you can make a test plug for your lan ports take a rj45 plug and wire pin 1 to pin 3 and pin 2 to pin 6 this be enough to operate at the 100mb (orange collor) on the lan port it is pluged into.

Message 6 of 11
sunnyoc
Aspirant

The original yellow ethernet cable that came with my R6300 router was broken for sure. When I used it to connect the internet port on R6300 to my cable modem, the internet LED on the R6300 router was off. Of course, there was no internet connection on R6300's LAN ports and WiFi.

I have another good ethernet cable. I used this one to connect the internet port on R6300 to my modem, the internet LED on the R6300 was on, but stayed in amber color, not the green color. Again, I had no internet connection through the R6300.

I used an old and functional 54G router to connect to my cable modem. I had internet on all LAN ports of this router and on 54G WiFi. Then, I connected the internet port on R6300 to one of the LAN ports on 54G router with the good ethernet cable and the internet LED on R6300 became green. I had internet on all the LAN ports and on WiFi on R6300 this way. Of course, I don't need two WiFi signals. I turned off the WiFi function on the 54G router. The 54G router basically acts as a switch between the R6300 router and the cable modem.

Very strange. I don't know what is going one with my R6300.

Message 7 of 11
William10a
Master

I wonder if the isp did a firmware update on the modem and now the router and modem disagree now and have you check to show if the r6300v1 has a firmware update on netgear to a newer version?

Message 8 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @sunnyoc,

Try MAC spoofing on the R6300. Check the link below for the steps.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1086

Regards,

Dexter

Community Team

Message 9 of 11
DexterJB
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @sunnyoc,

I would like to follow up and check if you are still experiencing the issue.

Regards,

Dexter
Community Team

Message 10 of 11
sunnyoc
Aspirant

I bought a new cable modem, Arris SB6183, to replace the very old modem. Now, the R6300 works beautifully with the new modem.

Still I could not figure out why my R6300 suddenly stopped talking to the old modem.

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7